Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 07:32 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
Let's only pick the Christian holidays.....good grief. Time and a half on Saturdays is ridiculous. 14 days off per year for hourly, part time work. Seriously, how old are you? My guess is under 23. Your comments indicate that you are not a real worker. In the US in this day and age, you need to be willing to work to make it. I recommend being a professional student so you can get all holidays off, a month in Dec/Jan and 3 months in the summer.

I see you removed your Jesus status.

Good point. I am Christian and I want the Jewish High Holy Days, as well as the Hindu Diwali, off. The Jews and Hindus in my office were talking about how they go to the movies on Christmas and then get Chinese food. I want a day off when it's a holiday I don't have to spend with family but can use to go to the movies and get Chinese food.

I think this is a fine American tradition that all can enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 09:15 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Whining retail employee: take your lunch, dinner. You won't have to stand in line.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:59 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Perhaps some of the stores that were planning to be open on Thanksgiving night will be short-staffed or unable to open:

Black Friday blackout? Walmart workers threaten strike over Thanksgiving store openings | NJ.com

Old 11-19-2012, 02:36 PM

353 posts, read 1,021,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Good point. I am Christian and I want the Jewish High Holy Days, as well as the Hindu Diwali, off. The Jews and Hindus in my office were talking about how they go to the movies on Christmas and then get Chinese food. I want a day off when it's a holiday I don't have to spend with family but can use to go to the movies and get Chinese food.

I think this is a fine American tradition that all can enjoy.
Here's the difference. Because Christmas is the only religious holiday where most businesses are closed, those who are not Christian get the extra day. With due respect to Christmas, I would rather work on Dec 25 and take a different day off... maybe when the weather is warm, but that's not going to happen.

The extra day off... when most businesses are closed leaves those of us who are not Christian with little to do, so as the stereotype goes, we go to the movies and Chinese food (some of the only restaurants that remain open on Christmas.)

Look at it this way... you have Chistmas off as a paid holiday (depending on your company). Many Jews take off for Rosh Hashona or Yom Kippor and have to take a personal day, vacation day or no pay.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:38 PM

353 posts, read 1,021,073 times
Regarding Black Friday, I think stores should just close for the day. I would like to see a study that says that Black Friday increases sales at all. It's one thing if a store is using it as a marketing ploy to beat their competitors, but now everyone does it, so aside from causing stampedes at the door, the only thing Black Friday accomplishes is to disrupt the family time of those who work so hard the rest of the year.

Chances are, you'd buy that sweater, TV or whatever on Dec 1 anyhow.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:46 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
I'm very wishy washy on this issue. On one hand, retailers have the right to open whenever they want but on the other hand but it kinda sucks they are "changing the rules" this year and opening on T'giving and blindsiding their employees who never had to work this holiday before. The retort of "well, this comes with the territory and they can always quit" is really a shi***, unsympathetic response. Feeling some sympathy for retails workers doesn't cost anything which the gung ho capitalists only care about.

The only way to "stop" retailers from opening on Thanksgiving is simply not patronizing their establishments. Which is what I plan to do.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:55 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewMensch View Post
Regarding Black Friday, I think stores should just close for the day. I would like to see a study that says that Black Friday increases sales at all. It's one thing if a store is using it as a marketing ploy to beat their competitors, but now everyone does it, so aside from causing stampedes at the door, the only thing Black Friday accomplishes is to disrupt the family time of those who work so hard the rest of the year.

Chances are, you'd buy that sweater, TV or whatever on Dec 1 anyhow.
That horse already left the barn. Since pretty much every big store is open for Black Friday they all have to be open.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:04 PM

708 posts, read 1,060,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
That horse already left the barn. Since pretty much every big store is open for Black Friday they all have to be open.
I have issues with Black Friday,but I accept them as part of my job in retail. What I really hate the thought of is these companies opening on Thanksgiving.Working holidays was fine when I worked in a hotel.That is a 24/7/365 business.Most stores are not.This is just greed on their part.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:05 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
its funny how people throw around the word "greed."

Old 11-19-2012, 03:10 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Customers are literally willing to trample each other to death on Black Friday. I find it hard to blame the stores. They are just a reflection of their customers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey