U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 01:30 AM

181 posts, read 383,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
There is nothing wrong with wanting nice things. Materialism is perfectly good. Even on holidays. And that's the beauty of this country. While the busybodies and controllers have the power to "shut down" other countries, we allow people the freedom in this country to do as they wish. Your heart needn't "break" as long as YOU are living YOUR life according to your own rational standards. Including strict observance of holidays if that is your wish. And your heart should be just fine, even if all the rest of the world fails to observe a holiday and decides to shop for material things. Your heart should develop a bit of angina, however, if others decide that they should tell you when and how to observe, like in ALL the other countries you cite. Save your "heartbreak" for where it is due: the rest of the world. The rest of the world where powerlusters "shut things down" because they don't like them, in violation of the most basic right that we are entitled to: our right to life.

I will take materialism and liberty over subversion and tyranny any day of any week, including Sundays and Holidays.
I'm not literally heartbroken, it was just a figure of speech. I think you don't understand that those people who work on these holidays and stuff are severely overworked. A lot of them are working because they fear of losing their jobs. I was one of them in college.

And those busy bodies in other countries don't force places to shut down. It's their culture to spend time resting and hanging out with friends and fam on the holidays so what's the point in staying open when no one is going to shop. I lived in Europe half my life (military brat) so I know first hand.

I don't want to seem offensive but if materialism runs your world, then it's going to eat you alive. You have already fallen a slave to it.

We all have a right to life. However, if a store closes for a few holidays out of the year is that really going to kill you. Maybe it will, because you really need your bigger flat screen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 02:48 AM

10,620 posts, read 8,149,169 times
The only real holidays people in retail get is Thanksgiving and Christmas, and I guess now it's just Christmas. Even those who work in sectors which are 365/24-7, like law enforcement and health care, rotate holidays and don't work them all in a given year.

Old 11-23-2012, 05:34 AM

605 posts, read 1,614,999 times
After Xmas sales will start Xmas day.

Old 11-23-2012, 05:56 AM

6,260 posts, read 6,273,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyurban View Post
I'm not literally heartbroken, it was just a figure of speech. I think you don't understand that those people who work on these holidays and stuff are severely overworked. A lot of them are working because they fear of losing their jobs. I was one of them in college.

And those busy bodies in other countries don't force places to shut down. It's their culture to spend time resting and hanging out with friends and fam on the holidays so what's the point in staying open when no one is going to shop. I lived in Europe half my life (military brat) so I know first hand.

I don't want to seem offensive but if materialism runs your world, then it's going to eat you alive. You have already fallen a slave to it.

We all have a right to life. However, if a store closes for a few holidays out of the year is that really going to kill you. Maybe it will, because you really need your bigger flat screen.
Nobody is overworked. There is no such thing in a free country. There is always the freedom to quit and find another job with less demanding hours. There is always the freedom to open your own business and control your own hours outright.

One side benefit of a free society is the absence of a stifling "culture" that standardizes behavior, controls the use of time, and demands oppressive conformity to meet societal "expectations". A free society is dynamic, with everyone able to do as they wish. And enjoying that right, living as they wish, and leaving others to do the same, without envious and platitudinous declarations.

And I don't accept attacks on "materialism". They are really just expressions of envy. Statements like "there is more to life than buying a Mercedes" are without meaning. Buying and enjoying well made products designed by the amazing engineers and craftsman who design them is a NOBLE activity. Being productive to the point where others are willing to pay you handsomely for your excellence is a NOBLE activity. Desiring to become the "1%", commonly used as a pejorative, but really meaning the top tier of people who make the country worth living in, is NOBLE. Trying to become the best doctor or lawyer or entertainer or what have you is NOBLE. And wanting to make lots of good old green cash along the way? NOBLE! Recognizing that money is a condensation of time, and time is all we have, and desiring to gain some measure of control over time by earning and disposing money? NOBLE!

It's NOT all about feeding the homeless, although there is nothing wrong with that. If that is what you need to do to make your time worthwhile to you? GO FOR IT. We're all free. But please, no vacuous attacks on people with talent who earn a lot of money and enjoy spending it on wonderful things. They are no less valuable than the double-shifting selfless Sister Theresa icon you want to idolize.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:18 AM

43,285 posts, read 42,833,931 times
Quote:
Hopefully my story doesn't bore anybody, but I used to work in a German grocery store called Aldi. We were closed on all major holidays including Thanksgiving. I was really thankful because I wanted to spend time with friends and family.

It's amazing how our country values material things over quality time with friends and family. Most people stand in line for hours just to get that new flat screen. Not only are there other days to do your shopping but you can find good deals online of all times of the year. It breaks my heart that almost every other country in the world is basically shut down on their major holidays while america gets more materialistic.

One more thing I also think it's 100% the consumers fault. Walmart, Best Buy, etc... all stay open and push these black Friday promotions because that's what the consumer wants. They are just running their business. I think America needs some deep self reflecting.
We have an Aldi not far from where I live. Basics with low prices.

Agree with you 100% on America needing to look at itself, and some people do that because of their character, but overall--consumerism is not going to change unless an individual decides to do that, and I do agree that it's not something that can or should be regulated.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Nobody is overworked. There is no such thing in a free country. There is always the freedom to quit and find another job with less demanding hours. There is always the freedom to open your own business and control your own hours outright.

One side benefit of a free society is the absence of a stifling "culture" that standardizes behavior, controls the use of time, and demands oppressive conformity to meet societal "expectations". A free society is dynamic, with everyone able to do as they wish. And enjoying that right, living as they wish, and leaving others to do the same, without envious and platitudinous declarations.

And I don't accept attacks on "materialism". They are really just expressions of envy. Statements like "there is more to life than buying a Mercedes" are without meaning. Buying and enjoying well made products designed by the amazing engineers and craftsman who design them is a NOBLE activity. Being productive to the point where others are willing to pay you handsomely for your excellence is a NOBLE activity. Desiring to become the "1%", commonly used as a pejorative, but really meaning the top tier of people who make the country worth living in, is NOBLE. Trying to become the best doctor or lawyer or entertainer or what have you is NOBLE. And wanting to make lots of good old green cash along the way? NOBLE! Recognizing that money is a condensation of time, and time is all we have, and desiring to gain some measure of control over time by earning and disposing money? NOBLE!

It's NOT all about feeding the homeless, although there is nothing wrong with that. If that is what you need to do to make your time worthwhile to you? GO FOR IT. We're all free. But please, no vacuous attacks on people with talent who earn a lot of money and enjoy spending it on wonderful things. They are no less valuable than the double-shifting selfless Sister Theresa icon you want to idolize.
I definitely understand you, and you're right we all can't feed the needy nor should we. Like I said in my last post, I WAS one of those people in college who worked retail and stuff. After college I quit and got a better job. I think you missed the big picture though. Do you realize the downside to just quitting. Employers don't like to see that you just up and quit a few jobs, that's one of the reasons why a lot of people stay at their current job until they find better. However, that's getting increasingly hard in our economy because it's so service and consumer based to serve people like you and me.

For the past ten years america has been getting more and more greedy and materialistic in life. The ones who can afford life benefits from it. The ones who can't or should I say trying hard to get a better life (going to college, tech school, promotions) can't benefit from our society yet until they get what they're working for. There are people who are just bums and they do not deserve handouts, but some of us wasn't or isn't born with a silver spoon in our mouths and we have to work our way up.

I have a lot of top of the line material things in my home and especially my car because I'm not a cheap person and don't want cheap things. However I do know that if I need something else there is always tomorrow or I can find the same deal online. These holidays are a formal time to appreciate our family and friends along with our material wealth. Not go out and acquire more materials. You really did miss the big picture.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
We have an Aldi not far from where I live. Basics with low prices.

Agree with you 100% on America needing to look at itself, and some people do that because of their character, but overall--consumerism is not going to change unless an individual decides to do that, and I do agree that it's not something that can or should be regulated.
Aldi had real cheap prices. With a money back guaranteed, I loved it. Unfortunately there is no Aldi on the west coast.

Old 11-23-2012, 03:07 PM

6,260 posts, read 6,273,420 times
Quote:
I definitely understand you, and you're right we all can't feed the needy nor should we. Like I said in my last post, I WAS one of those people in college who worked retail and stuff. After college I quit and got a better job. I think you missed the big picture though. Do you realize the downside to just quitting. Employers don't like to see that you just up and quit a few jobs, that's one of the reasons why a lot of people stay at their current job until they find better. However, that's getting increasingly hard in our economy because it's so service and consumer based to serve people like you and me.

For the past ten years america has been getting more and more greedy and materialistic in life. The ones who can afford life benefits from it. The ones who can't or should I say trying hard to get a better life (going to college, tech school, promotions) can't benefit from our society yet until they get what they're working for. There are people who are just bums and they do not deserve handouts, but some of us wasn't or isn't born with a silver spoon in our mouths and we have to work our way up.

I have a lot of top of the line material things in my home and especially my car because I'm not a cheap person and don't want cheap things. However I do know that if I need something else there is always tomorrow or I can find the same deal online. These holidays are a formal time to appreciate our family and friends along with our material wealth. Not go out and acquire more materials. You really did miss the big picture.
If you are saying that you think Americans are greedy and materialistic, and NOTHING should be done about it, then we are good. Some can go on being "greedy and materialistic" while others can choose a path of service and quietude, with still others somewhere in between. All is well, and all are free. Opinions about the achievers are fine. Political action to punish achievers is where I draw the line, and at this point that line is so far in my rear view mirror that I suspect it is lost forever.

Freedom is the biggest of the big pictures.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:46 PM

9,193 posts, read 16,248,630 times
Some looney tunes stood in line for 2 weeks.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:35 AM

353 posts, read 841,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewMensch View Post
Regarding Black Friday, I think stores should just close for the day. I would like to see a study that says that Black Friday increases sales at all. It's one thing if a store is using it as a marketing ploy to beat their competitors, but now everyone does it, so aside from causing stampedes at the door, the only thing Black Friday accomplishes is to disrupt the family time of those who work so hard the rest of the year.

Chances are, you'd buy that sweater, TV or whatever on Dec 1 anyhow.

I meant that Black Friday could remain on Friday... work has become 24/7/365. Aside from Christmas, it seems that it never stops. It might be healthier for all of us to take a day with the family once in a while. People would still buy items on Black Friday instead of Black Thursday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey