U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 04:08 PM

6,260 posts, read 6,273,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
...and from whence do we derive our freedom if not from sacrifice and blessings?
Freedom comes from Reason. Freedom is an invention of Man designed to allow a social system that operates harmoniously with our nature. Lower animals do not posess a rational faculty and simply eat each other. Which works well for them, given their nature, given the characteristics of their physical existence. Man is unique, and does not succeed based on physical prowess. It is our rational faculty that differentiates us. Reason differentiates us. And Reason does not operate well at the point of a gun, or more generally, under the threat of physical destruction. You cannot put a gun to someone's head and demand creativity and inventiveness and induction and deduction. In order to operate with any kind of efficiency, a mind needs to be free. That is our nature. That is a physical characteristic of our species that is observed in Reality.

Thus, in designing a political system that is moral, a system that permits man to operate in consonance with his nature, as a rational animal, the core value of that system has to be freedom. And so, Freedom was invented. Or rather, discovered. It works best in theory, and in practice. As it must, because it reflects Reality and the existential characteristics that elevate us above more primitive species.

So where does Freedom come from? It comes from us. Or at least, the best among us. It comes from introspection and self-observation and self-discovery. Freedom is our natural state, and needs to occupy our social systems, our government, our social institutions, our education, everything. To the degree it does not, to the degree we emulate the savages of the jungle and the animals in the Wild Kingdom, we become more like the countries that we so detest - the countries of mysticism and anti-rationality and violence and mayhem and Sharia Law and the Law of the Jungle and whatever other backward system we can observe in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th worlds.

The early soldiers who fought for freedom never sacrificed anything. They fought because they realized that no other way of life was acceptable. They did not fight for our freedom. They fought for something much more important: their freedom. We are the beneficiaries through observation of their courage. And with freedom constantly under threat, the fight never ends.

So when I hear some putrescent mayor of Paramus deciding who can open their bloody store and when, it sends me into a state. Freedom is more important than one person telling another what to do and what to celebrate. Everyone needs to mind their own business and if they don't want to shop? Stay the hell home! You are free if you decide to stay home. You are infringing on my freedom if you presume to decide when I should stay home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 04:27 PM

24,511 posts, read 31,086,606 times
Make everyone happy and move black Friday to Sunday and have stores open up at 9pm Saturday night and have the shopping experience last throughout Sunday entirely. Given that Sunday does not conflict with Thanksgiving, no one will complain about spending time with their family on such an important day.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:35 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,834,875 times
You couldn't pay me to shop on Black Friday, nevermind Thanksgiving. But the people I celebrate with usually spread out sales flyers all over the table after dinner, plan their strategy, and head out the door sometime after midnight as if it's an awesome scavenger hunt. To each his/her own, I guess.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:36 PM

11,645 posts, read 13,474,131 times
You couldn't pay me to endure the mob scenes that typify Black Friday.
Inevitably, the nightly news will feature video footage from multiple locations showing the injuries that resulted from these mindless stampedes for low-quality goods.

As a result of my avoidance...Will I miss some outstanding sale prices?
Possibly
Will I be able to retain my dignity and my safety?
Absolutely

In reality, I have already done about 50% of my shopping online, and the remainder of my shopping will be done either online or in stores, on weekday mornings in December--with few crowds.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:45 PM

43,283 posts, read 42,833,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i wouldnt flatter myself if you didnt choose to bring it up everytime i post in a thread. im willing to admit i undestimated sandy. but i was dead on with irene! ill also mention that losing power (even for 2 weeks) isnt a tragedy and doesnt count as serious hardship.
I must admit, Captain, that all last week when I drove past the PNC Arts Center sign on the GSP South--the electronic one that usually has the time on it--I giggled a little thinking, "Wow, Holmdel still doesn't have power. Bet CaptainNJ is pssed." Isn't it nice to know I was thinking of you?

Old 11-13-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ07035 View Post
to blow the mind of the OP from another shopping-related thread here -

I'd agree to having no stores open on Thnaksgiving, if they would have 'Black Sunday' store hours in Paramus on that weekend every year...

Personally I've never done the Black Friday shopping - but I have been out for the 6AM opening on December 26 a few times to pick up discounted decorations for my lawn (the inflatables or light-up plastic figures) at Fountains of Wayne and Fairfield Home & Garden
Aw, I used to love that place!

Old 11-13-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
You couldn't pay me to endure the mob scenes that typify Black Friday.
Inevitably, the nightly news will feature video footage from multiple locations showing the injuries that resulted from these mindless stampedes for low-quality goods.

As a result of my avoidance...Will I miss some outstanding sale prices?
Possibly
Will I be able to retain my dignity and my safety?
Absolutely

In reality, I have already done about 50% of my shopping online, and the remainder of my shopping will be done either online or in stores, on weekday mornings in December--with few crowds.
I have never gone out for Black Friday. I'm not a shopper to begin with, and I do most shopping online when possible. There is no big Christmas shopping list to be done, either. I have one daughter, in college and that's the only person I need to shop for. And I'll get something for my mother. We've been doing a pick-name gift thing amongst my sibs and the nieces for years now--it's more for fun than anything else, with a $25 limit. There are no small kids in the family anymore. We get together after Christmas when everyone's got more time and shop for our stuff on the post-Christmas sales. The hours of eating and Scattergories is the main draw.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:42 PM

4,074 posts, read 6,303,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Freedom comes from Reason. Freedom is an invention of Man designed to allow a social system that operates harmoniously with our nature. Lower animals do not posess a rational faculty and simply eat each other. Which works well for them, given their nature, given the characteristics of their physical existence. Man is unique, and does not succeed based on physical prowess. It is our rational faculty that differentiates us. Reason differentiates us. And Reason does not operate well at the point of a gun, or more generally, under the threat of physical destruction. You cannot put a gun to someone's head and demand creativity and inventiveness and induction and deduction. In order to operate with any kind of efficiency, a mind needs to be free. That is our nature. That is a physical characteristic of our species that is observed in Reality.

Thus, in designing a political system that is moral, a system that permits man to operate in consonance with his nature, as a rational animal, the core value of that system has to be freedom. And so, Freedom was invented. Or rather, discovered. It works best in theory, and in practice. As it must, because it reflects Reality and the existential characteristics that elevate us above more primitive species.

So where does Freedom come from? It comes from us. Or at least, the best among us. It comes from introspection and self-observation and self-discovery. Freedom is our natural state, and needs to occupy our social systems, our government, our social institutions, our education, everything. To the degree it does not, to the degree we emulate the savages of the jungle and the animals in the Wild Kingdom, we become more like the countries that we so detest - the countries of mysticism and anti-rationality and violence and mayhem and Sharia Law and the Law of the Jungle and whatever other backward system we can observe in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th worlds.

The early soldiers who fought for freedom never sacrificed anything. They fought because they realized that no other way of life was acceptable. They did not fight for our freedom. They fought for something much more important: their freedom. We are the beneficiaries through observation of their courage. And with freedom constantly under threat, the fight never ends.

So when I hear some putrescent mayor of Paramus deciding who can open their bloody store and when, it sends me into a state. Freedom is more important than one person telling another what to do and what to celebrate. Everyone needs to mind their own business and if they don't want to shop? Stay the hell home! You are free if you decide to stay home. You are infringing on my freedom if you presume to decide when I should stay home.
But even with all that freedom, you're going to let the government onto everyon'e property to chop down their trees?

Old 11-13-2012, 08:07 PM

6,260 posts, read 6,273,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
But even with all that freedom, you're going to let the government onto everyon'e property to chop down their trees?
No compulsion. The program would be voluntary, maybe assisted by a property tax credit. However, trees on municipal property right next to power lines would be removed by the parks department. Trees near substations would be removed by the utilities. No worries. This could be done for relatively light expense.

Of course, the eco-fascists will never let this happen. So I am looking into a Kohler 30kw water-cooled backup generator so I can simply ignore future power failures.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:08 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,062,352 times
Ridiculous.

All stores should be closed on Thanksgiving (Along with Easter, Christmas, and Sundays).
Stores should open at 7 AM on Black Friday.

Most workers are forced to leave traditional Thanksgiving dinner to go to work and serve hungry consumers :/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey