U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2012, 09:05 PM

3,788 posts, read 8,012,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Why do people feel the need to make pronouncements of how other people should behave. Why not just live your life, do what you want, live up to your own standards, and stay out of others' business?

I think we have become a nation of busybodies. It's not attractive.

I wouldn't shop on Black Friday if all the items were free. I don't do lines or crowds. But I would never think to tell others to do this, and do that, and not shop, and not open, and not drive, and stop and celebrate and thank this entity and be grateful for this or that...

When did we all think it was OK to become controlling tyrants who need to impose our wills on all around us?

The topic title is "what do people think of black Friday sales on Thanksgiving?". I gave my opinion. Not sure what your beef is... I never said I want the government to make my opinion a law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 09:25 PM

6,260 posts, read 6,276,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
The topic title is "what do people think of black Friday sales on Thanksgiving?". I gave my opinion. Not sure what your beef is... I never said I want the government to make my opinion a law.
I just read these words: "Nobody should be open until like 6 AM on Friday." It sounded more like an edict to me than an opinion. Maybe I'm just too sensitive...

Old 11-13-2012, 10:16 PM

9,193 posts, read 16,252,632 times
People actually think they are getting the best deals possible during the xmas season but they arent. I worked in a hospital yrs ago & it was quiet (except for the emergency room) on t-giving day, xmas eve & day & new years eve & day & i liked it.

Last edited by steel7; 11-13-2012 at 10:25 PM..

Old 11-14-2012, 05:20 AM

12,290 posts, read 22,254,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
What about restaurants being open on Christmas Eve? Do people have the same outrage at that?
I can't speak for where you live but by me most if not all restaurants are closed by 8PM on Christmas eve and the mall closes around 7PM on Christmas Eve.

This black friday issue is an issue because the employees are complaining. Like one poster said what used to be 5-6 AM Friday morning is now 8PM on Thanksgiving night..

Old 11-14-2012, 05:25 AM

16,444 posts, read 17,036,906 times
Somebody make it stop!!! I used to love Christmas, but I honestly dread "the holidays" the way they have commercialized everything so badly, and declared war against the religious meaning of Christmas.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:32 AM

24,511 posts, read 31,086,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Somebody make it stop!!! I used to love Christmas, but I honestly dread "the holidays" the way they have commercialized everything so badly, and declared war against the religious meaning of Christmas.
It's easy to ignore. Just stay home with a book by the fireplace.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:48 AM

12,381 posts, read 21,041,293 times
The videos that come out of this day are hilarious though people acting like animals for slightly cheaper stuff...

Black Friday Crowd Rushing into Urban Outfitters - YouTube

2011 BLACK FRIDAY COMPILATION - Fights, Riots, Crazy Americans - YouTube

Old 11-14-2012, 06:23 AM

16,444 posts, read 17,036,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's easy to ignore. Just stay home with a book by the fireplace.
Fine by me if you can get my family to agree...

Old 11-14-2012, 08:04 AM

3,986 posts, read 5,194,731 times
If someone is squished trying to jam into the doorway of a store (it happens somewhere every year) I do not want my tax money spent on police/firemen rescuing this Darwin Award nominee. Let the "free market" handle it and send the victim to a private healthcare facility. Hopefully the first responders will be eating turkey and watching football as any normal American should.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:08 AM

12,290 posts, read 22,254,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
If someone is squished trying to jam into the doorway of a store (it happens somewhere every year) I do not want my tax money spent on police/firemen rescuing this Darwin Award nominee. Let the "free market" handle it and send the victim to a private healthcare facility. Hopefully the first responders will be eating turkey and watching football as any normal American should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey