Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 11:50 AM

76 posts, read 254,385 times

Advertisements

Consumerism, my friends!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 12:00 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,123,839 times
Certain jobs have sucky hours/days. It is what it is.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:02 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,669,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
And they certainly don't need you telling them to suck it up and shut up or go on welfare.
nope, they have jobs; they should go to work.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Speaking of people on their high horse....

CaptainNJ 10/29 @ 4:14 pm in Sandy thread: so is it time to start saying "we dodged a bullet" and me to start saying "i told you so" yet?

10/29 @ 4:42 pm: so this is the level of hysteria for some flooding in places on the coast that flood regularly during rainstorms?

nyc will get less than nj im sure. nj will have some problems but people arent going to die or lose their homes (they may have a tree fall on it though).
halffull, you seem to have some feelings towards me that you cant get over. if you would like to bump that thread so we can talk it over, id be happy to.

the reality of this issue is that some jobs have inconvenient hours. thats understood by employees (even if they complain about it). that cant really change. i think its crazy that people want to go shopping on thanksgiving, but if there is money to be made then that is an opportunity that people need to take advantage of.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:15 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,975,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
halffull, you seem to have some feelings towards me that you cant get over. if you would like to bump that thread so we can talk it over, id be happy to.

the reality of this issue is that some jobs have inconvenient hours. thats understood by employees (even if they complain about it). that cant really change. i think its crazy that people want to go shopping on thanksgiving, but if there is money to be made then that is an opportunity that people need to take advantage of.

Don't flatter yourself. I just think it's a useful reminder that the condescending pronouncements are coming from the same guy that knew it all before Sandy.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Don't flatter yourself. I just think it's a useful reminder that the condescending pronouncements are coming from the same guy that knew it all before Sandy.
i wouldnt flatter myself if you didnt choose to bring it up everytime i post in a thread. im willing to admit i undestimated sandy. but i was dead on with irene! ill also mention that losing power (even for 2 weeks) isnt a tragedy and doesnt count as serious hardship.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:23 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,207,670 times
I HATE shopping anyway and the chaos that ensues is not appealing to me even at the grocery so I already have ALL tehe non perishable pantry items I will need through the end of the year, milk and eggs will be purchased from the local grocery when needed. This saves me from all the shopping idiots out in full force this time of year.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:29 PM

1,037 posts, read 3,160,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
ill also mention that losing power (even for 2 weeks) isnt a tragedy and doesnt count as serious hardship.
This is true. It does suck not to have power for 9 days, it was especially hard because the house so cold at night and with a 4 year old, I worried about her health. But once the power comes back on, I count myself lucky not to have a tree crush our house (or death) or other serious mishaps.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:29 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,123,839 times
What about restaurants being open on Christmas Eve? Do people have the same outrage at that?

Old 11-13-2012, 12:45 PM

50,702 posts, read 36,402,571 times
I don't know, I never considered Christmas Eve a holiday that people got off for (like getting off for NY Day is a given for many, not so NYE). I also don't think the restaurant business is quite the same, as people will come back to a restaurant they like another night if it's closed on Christmas Eve, where if your store sells toys and the store down the street sells toys, the owners will feel more of a need to open if the other guy is open even if they don't want to, in order to compete for the all-important Christmas dollar which can make or break a retail store. This is especially true for small businesses, for which IMO the playing field is getting harder and harder for them to compete on as it is. This doesn't help them at all IMO.

Overall I just think our quality of life in general is decreasing, not increasing, we're working more and more for less and less, and I think this is all part of it.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 11-13-2012 at 12:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey