U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 03:30 PM

1,065 posts, read 2,238,256 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone-

First, I'm so sorry that so many of you were affected by Hurricane Sandy. I hope life is getting back to normal.

I'm traveling this coming Saturday through New Jersey (RI to Virginia) and was wondering if there were any special consideration I should make due to the hurricane clean-up. I typically take the GW Bridge provided there isn't terrible traffic, but feel like the Tappan Zee might be a better idea this time around. Other than filling up my gas tank in Connecticut so I can make it through the state without getting gas, is there anything I should be prepared for?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 04:02 PM

4,076 posts, read 6,458,553 times
The highways are fine and the gas is not an issue now. You'll be fine.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:42 PM

5,105 posts, read 11,146,153 times
Yes, they even lifted the odd/even day business we had for about a week. Gas is usually cheaper in NJ vs. CT. Things are fairly well settling down most places. Most power is up everywhere, although I'm sure there are a few more rural or special exceptions. Driving through should be no different than usual. The whole gas line thing was sooooo, last week!

Old 11-13-2012, 06:42 PM

1,065 posts, read 2,238,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Yes, they even lifted the odd/even day business we had for about a week. Gas is usually cheaper in NJ vs. CT. Things are fairly well settling down most places. Most power is up everywhere, although I'm sure there are a few more rural or special exceptions. Driving through should be no different than usual. The whole gas line thing was sooooo, last week!
Good to know. It's hard to tell from the news since they seem to have moved from Hurricane Sandy to "someone in to gov't had sex" mode. Thanks for the advice, I know gas is typically cheaper in NJ, but didn't want to use up any when otherwise available or end up stuck somewhere. Thanks!

Old 11-13-2012, 09:59 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,239,179 times
No problems for highway driving, and no problems for getting gas.

There's a few scattered rural areas (plus barrier islands/coastal areas) with remaining issues, but you're not going to be encountering those on your drive anyway.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:11 AM

3 posts, read 4,408 times
The rest stop on the Garden State Parkway around exit 120 is upgrading its pipes and has no gas.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:55 PM

513 posts, read 907,194 times
As long as you are not traveling within a few miles of the ocean, roads are relatively normal. The vicinity of the shore is still trouble.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:48 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,099,216 times
Everything is fine... No gas shortage either!

Welcome to the Garden State

Old 11-15-2012, 08:18 PM

1,203 posts, read 2,325,777 times
My only suggestion is to stop in Hackensack and grab some sliders at White Manna.

You can thank me later.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:58 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,099,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenaperture View Post
My only suggestion is to stop in Hackensack and grab some sliders at White Manna.

You can thank me later.
That small local burger place next to the gas station, and across McDonald's?

I passed thru it several times on the way to Costco, so one day I decided to go in and eat there. Crowded like a zoo, so I expected the food to be good. It must be a joke... Mini home-made burgers with only grilled onions on top. Nothing special lol.... I don't understand why people would eat there more than once.

They would taste better if they put tomatoes, lettuce, and dressing as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey