U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 11:17 AM

2 posts, read 8,771 times

Advertisements

Please help -- any input/insight is welcome!

My wife and I are looking to move to a town with good schools that's within a 45 minute commute to downtown NYC/wall street. we're also hoping to get a nice 3-4br, 2-3bth house in the $550-700k price range. the options we're considering are:

Livingston: excellent schools, commute to downtown is ~1hr by taking Millburn train to Hoboken and then ferry or PATH -- but prices are pretty ridiculous, we've seen some mediocre 3br-2bth houses for $700+k.

Edison: pretty good schools (JPStevens), more reasonable prices (can probably get a pretty nice/new house for around $700k w/ 4br-3bth) -- but apparently commute to downtown can be well over 1hr according to some work colleagues. (this despite the NJTransit schedules which imply it should only be about 50min including PATH time)

do these assessments look accurate? anyone with personal experience, is the Edison commute time really 1hr+ to downtown? other thoughts welcome too -- is Livingston maybe a lot nicer than Edison?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 11:38 AM

9,598 posts, read 9,464,946 times
Yes, your assessments are pretty accurate. Livingston is a bit more expensive. But you get what you pay for.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:39 AM

9,124 posts, read 32,094,329 times
I don't know why anyone would say that the NJ Transit times are incorrect- they've run ontime everytime I went into NYC (which was once a week give or take for the past few years). You'll probably also find far more trains running to Edison (or you can go to Metropark in Iselin) than you will to Livingston, and they're all direct, whereas a good number of the trains that stop in Millburn will require transfers as Newark Broad Street Station or Secaucus- that makes the commute longer and less convenient. In either case, 1 hour is very optomistic once you factor in getting to the train station, waiting for the train, transfers, walking to the office, etc.- all in, it's probably closer to 1:30-1:45 door to door.

Having lived in Iselin for the past 8 years (until this summer), which is next door to Edison, you may want to spend some time there, especially on the weekends. It may not be an issue to you, but there is a very large Indian and Asian population in Edison, and the area gets pretty crowded on the weekends. Again, that may not matter to you, but better that you know about it in case it does.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:43 AM

I'm not a commuter, but any time Ive taken the Millburn train it has been about 35 minute trip with no transfer. Have I just gotten lucky? Maybe someone that takes the train every day could shed some light on it.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:55 AM

I looked up the schedule. There are some that transfer, but most are direct. Why anyone would pick a tranfer train when so many direct lines exist is beyond me. The trip takes anywhere from 31-34 minutes.

Here is the official schedule. click schedules and fares, then train, and Millburn and NY Penn St. New Jersey Transit

Old 10-12-2007, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskmd View Post
I looked up the schedule. There are some that transfer, but most are direct. Why anyone would pick a tranfer train when so many direct lines exist is beyond me. The trip takes anywhere from 31-34 minutes.
You'd pick a transfer train because all the other trains are too packed with all of the people who didn't want to pick a transfer train, I guess......

Old 10-12-2007, 12:12 PM

2 posts, read 8,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskmd View Post

Here is the official schedule. click schedules and fares, then train, and Millburn and NY Penn St. New Jersey Transit
the transfer issue comes in because we're looking at travel to downtown NYC, not penn station -- to get to downtown you're going to either have to transfer to the subway at penn station, take the ferry at hoboken, or take the PATH from newark.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger0 View Post
the transfer issue comes in because we're looking at travel to downtown NYC, not penn station -- to get to downtown you're going to either have to transfer to the subway at penn station, take the ferry at hoboken, or take the PATH from newark.
No, I understand. I was referring with the need to transfer prior to NY Penn Station.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:39 PM

It's actually the transfers on many of the trains between Livingston and Hoboken that I was talking about. There's 4 or 5 train lines that run thru the Millburn station, and they don't all run to Hoboken directly.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
It's actually the transfers on many of the trains between Livingston and Hoboken that I was talking about. There's 4 or 5 train lines that run thru the Millburn station, and they don't all run to Hoboken directly.
Oh, ok. I've never taken the train to Hoboken so I couldnt really say. I think that would be a longer trip anyway. I would think the quickest route for him would be NY Penn Station and then the subway. I've done that many times and it is very easy. If I can do it, anyone can. lol

Although, if you took the path from Newark, it wouldnt really matter which train you got on in Millburn. That wouldn't be a bad route either. I wouldn't do the Hoboken ferry though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or