U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2012, 06:43 AM

273 posts, read 1,269,668 times

Advertisements

How is Hoboken area right now? I was planning on going there after Thanksgiving and possibly going to the Cake Boss store. Is there too much damage in the area to bother?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 07:38 AM

12,381 posts, read 21,367,359 times
Its a wet mess , most stores are still closed due to damaged , limited rail and bus service....and parking is a nightmare as always....you better off going to the Grove Street area of Jersey City which wasn't affected by sandy and is similar to Hoboken.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:57 AM

291 posts, read 747,483 times
I'd probably avoid Hoboken right now if I didn't need to go there. That said, you truly won't be missing anything by not getting to Carlo's (the "Cake Boss" bakery). There are many better bakeries in Northern NJ, and they don't involve waiting in line for hours or paying inflated prices for mediocre baked goods.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:38 AM

11,972 posts, read 13,982,981 times
I agree with the preceding comments, including the altogether mediocre, overpriced baked goods at that particular bakery.

But, here is something else to consider:
My friend's house in Hoboken--which is located several blocks further from the river than that over-hyped bakery--had 4 feet of raw sewage in the basement.
Just the chance of the bakery building having suffered a similar type of damage would keep me away from there for a very long time.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:47 PM

2,100 posts, read 2,535,156 times
Well other than storm damage and Carlo's bakery selling overpriced puffed bread products, Hoboken seems to be up and running again rather nicely. This was as of last weekend. Washington street is fully operational.

My sister got her car flooded during the storm and now it's totaled (granted it was a '97 camry, but still a shame to lose it.) She lives away from Wash street, about 6-7 blocks inward. Apparently she opened up the glove box after the street was drained and guess what she found? Raw sewage.

Moral of the story is Hoboken is pretty gross. When it rains, it pours, and it floods....poop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey