U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should roadside shrines in NJ be banned
Yes 11 47.83%
No 8 34.78%
Unsure 4 17.39%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 02:10 PM

12,928 posts, read 24,052,828 times

Advertisements

There was a big debate on the forum of my local newspaper regarding one of those roadside shrines. This one was erected on the side of I287 North.

After many complaints due to traffic snarl up the DOT has removed it.
I've read some states have banned them..should NJ ban road side shrines

personally I think they are tacky, the deceased can be remembered in more positive ways..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 02:39 PM

7,962 posts, read 16,772,619 times
I voted 'unsure'. I think it depends on the level of modesty. If it is overly ornate, and could cause potential harm to a motorist, (and is in a busy area) then I'd be in favor of removal. However, a smaller, more modest shrine is a showing of respect for the diseased I think is acceptable. Remember, there are some shrines for fallen State Troopers, for instance, Trooper Phillip Lamonaco, who was gunned down in cold blood by the scumbags from the United Freedom Front. There is a shrine somewhere around mile marker 9 on I-80 commemorating him. I wouldn't want to see it removed.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:39 PM

5,370 posts, read 10,128,606 times
Kate, I don't think the DOT is worrying about them being tacky, its a traffic safety issue. Cars stop and slow down by these different items that are left by the side of the road and the police do not want another fatality by the same site.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:40 PM

767 posts, read 1,935,438 times
Yeah I don't know why you would want to remember a loved one in the spot that they died. They are a safety hazard. Drivers have enough distractions.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:09 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,448,399 times
I've seen them throughout the country and I haven't seen an attribution of accidents to them. They must have just arrived in NJ b/c I don't recall them when I drove the state over 10 years ago. I think they should stay as they are a reminder that roads are dangerous (s/t the original accident is caused by highway conditions) and it should serve a reminder that we should slow or move cautiously in these areas. Hilly roads, icy conditions or flooded areas are all good reasons for persons to monitor conditions more carefully that they otherwise typically engage.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:59 AM

9,173 posts, read 20,201,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1975 View Post
Yeah I don't know why you would want to remember a loved one in the spot that they died. They are a safety hazard. Drivers have enough distractions.
I understand where the loved ones are coming from. When someone gets into an accident and dies on the scene, you feel a connection to that spot, like if you believe in heaven and souls, the person's soul may be stuck where they died. Even if they are buried, there can be more of a connection to the accident site for some people because they have to go through the normal stages of grief.

I don't mind the small shrines. I dislike some that I've seen with toys, tons of stuff. If someone wants to put a cross or something there, it's fine, I also don't mind seeing fresh flowers every now and then.

If it gets banned, I don't see people stopping what they are doing.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:25 AM

12,928 posts, read 24,052,828 times
All good answers! The accident I mentioned was a young kid that did himself in due to excessive speed, thankfully he took only himself.
It was off I287, the northern portion between Parsipanny and Boonton..a treacherous stretch of road with limited access for emergency vehicles.

I think what put motorists over the edge on this one was during rush hour there was a 10 mile back up as his friends were there..according to the news there were over 50 cars along the shoulder parked in all different directions with their flashers on...now that is dangerous for the motorists as well as the mourners

Small crosses, the marker for the state trooper, are understandable and not posing a hazard...remember these are Interstates not some small town road.

In the local papers forum one woman mentioned her father had passed away in the frozen food section of the A&P, but she wasn't going to set up a shrine there...

Last edited by njkate; 10-13-2007 at 09:35 AM..

Old 10-13-2007, 11:29 AM

1,080 posts, read 4,083,363 times
Traffic accidents are horrible, lossing a life is tragic, I have seen memorials that go way beyond the simple cross and flowers, especially for teens. Teddy bears, jerseys, CD's, cards, letters......yes, its great that the kids/adults can vent their anger or love for that person. But I think that 2 or 3 weeks later, everything except the cross should be taken away, its a distraction to drivers and just leaving the cross, would remind us all to be careful on the road. Its no disrespect to the family or deceased. The families
usually bury those they love, so go to the cemetery and put all the flowers
teddy bears/hot cars/letters etc. they want. Its their grief that they need to satisfy, not ours.

Thank G*d I have never lost someone to a car accident.....but my sypathy to those who have.

Old 10-13-2007, 04:32 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,364,540 times
I agree with you songbird42. There is one of these on Fisher Blvd. in Toms River. The accident happend a short while ago. It appeared, balloons, teddy bear etc. Now everything just looks dirty and worn. Not really a fitting tribute any longer. It just looks like a pile of garbage at the side of the road. Time to take it down.

Old 10-13-2007, 04:39 PM

9,173 posts, read 20,201,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I think what put motorists over the edge on this one was during rush hour there was a 10 mile back up as his friends were there..according to the news there were over 50 cars along the shoulder parked in all different directions with their flashers on...now that is dangerous for the motorists as well as the mourners
Didn't hear about that, something needed to be done, that's another accident waiting to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird42 View Post
I have seen memorials that go way beyond the simple cross and flowers, especially for teens. Teddy bears, jerseys, CD's, cards, letters......yes, its great that the kids/adults can vent their anger or love for that person. But I think that 2 or 3 weeks later, everything except the cross should be taken away, its a distraction to drivers and just leaving the cross, would remind us all to be careful on the road. Its no disrespect to the family or deceased. The families
usually bury those they love, so go to the cemetery and put all the flowers
teddy bears/hot cars/letters etc. they want. Its their grief that they need to satisfy, not ours..
This is what I see down here and agree it's a distraction. Simple isn't bad, as you say it reminds us someone died there and to slow down / drive safer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or