U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 08:34 PM

964 posts, read 2,562,289 times

Advertisements

Colonia is very nice, especially certain parts. As far as the commute -- personally, I think as you start to move more into Monmouth county, the commute starts to get rough.

With the way NJ demographics have been the last 10 years, and the trend, I think the commute is tougher now than it was 10 years ago, 5 years ago, etc.

If you are really considering that type of move, I would listen to the experts on the commute.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 01:13 PM

39 posts, read 138,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EANJ View Post
Colonia is very nice, especially certain parts. As far as the commute -- personally, I think as you start to move more into Monmouth county, the commute starts to get rough.

With the way NJ demographics have been the last 10 years, and the trend, I think the commute is tougher now than it was 10 years ago, 5 years ago, etc.

If you are really considering that type of move, I would listen to the experts on the commute.

Good luck.
I agree.

I am so confused after yesterday. We went with our agent to lot of places. Including Franklin Township and Hillsborough.

Was reading posts in this forum. Seems like Franklin Township is not that good an area But certain houses were so good though

Nan

Old 10-21-2007, 05:25 PM

I was reading through some posts here...

Quick question.

Any idea about which counties I should ignore because of floods etc? Where can I get this information. I read that bridgewater is flood prone?

Nan

Old 10-21-2007, 06:05 PM

5,370 posts, read 10,130,590 times
Nan, Google Hurricane Floyd, it dropped about 10 inches of rain on us. And parts of towns in central Jersey flooded for days.

Old 10-21-2007, 06:19 PM

78 posts, read 363,022 times
i would suggest east brunswick, south brunswick and cranbury for easy commute and good schools.

Old 10-21-2007, 07:53 PM

Thanks.. but thats for specific hurricane right.. is there anyway to find out any low lying areas

sorry.....too many questions

Nan

Old 10-21-2007, 08:10 PM

5,370 posts, read 10,130,590 times
Nan, I'm not 100 percent sure but I think that flood was along the Raritan River all the low lying areas, So do a little research and make sure your up higher then sea level. There were a couple of towns that flooded a couple of days along the river.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:20 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,869,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanfromnj View Post
Thanks a lot !!!

Princeton - Is that a good neighborhood? I was thinking otherwise
Montgomery (south of Somerset) - yeah my agent she said that its very expensive area though :-\
West Windsor-Plainsboro and Hopewell Regional - Thanks.. will include that in my search as well

Brian... Colonia.. never heard of it but woodbridge you say... lots of Indians, yeah? Thanks thou...

planning to drive around these places.. will let u know

Nan

Woodbridge is made up of a few towns
Colonia being one of them

Old 10-21-2007, 09:34 PM

2,689 posts, read 2,848,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Nan, I'm not 100 percent sure but I think that flood was along the Raritan River all the low lying areas, So do a little research and make sure your up higher then sea level. There were a couple of towns that flooded a couple of days along the river.
while the upper raritan had some flooding, these people are referring to the ramapo which floods fairly often

Old 10-22-2007, 03:24 AM

5,079 posts, read 7,246,669 times
As I said before, Hurricane Floyd flooded places that were never flooded before. It was a fluke. Now up in Wayne, they flood every year. You don't want to look at just a one time thing. You will talk yourself out of nice homes that are inexpensive for a one time event.
It wasn't 10 inches, it was 13-14 inches of rain in less than a 24 hour period.

Next subject, Hillsborough is nice, expensive but a nice place. The one thing I don't like about it is although a couple of the schools have great ratings, they are so big, I feel as though a kid could get lost in the system....they're just a number. Bridgewater is the same.

Now, Franklin, stay away, far away. Unless you are sending your kids to private school. If you can fork out the 23k per year for Rutgers Prep, go for it, but there is no way in this lifetime or any other that I'd send my kids there. There are many other towns in Somerset county that are really nice and a great place to raise kids.
Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or