U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 03:33 AM

119 posts, read 166,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanfromnj View Post
Hey Guys,

I am new to this site. Lots of information.. wow!!!

Me had been in Edison for more than 6 years now and finally decided to move.

(1) Mercer, somerset and middlesex are the counties I shortlisted. Since I would be travelling in NY and wouldnt like to go deep south or further north for obvious reasons What do you think about these counties. I read lots of thread about Monroe, East and West Windsor. Planning to check Old bridge too. Is there anyother good town with less crime and great place to bring up kids? I guess from the threads here it seems schools are pretty good?

Nan
Piscataway at Middlesex County (http://newjersey.craigslist.org/search/rfs?query=piscataway&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max - broken link) seem fit your criteria. It has easy access to 5 different train stations depending on which area you pick, that is to say, there are 5 area in Piscataway can "walk to NYC train". It is right next to Edison, 3rd Safest area in NJ. Many people renting at Edison for years like yourself and later bought a townhouse or house at Piscataway. One reason is that they still want to keep their friend network.

Piscataway has been moving very fast, e.g. Maple Woods at Piscataway sold 54 units in past 2 and half month, according to sales office, and almost sold out for this new development. Starpoint townhouses community almost sold out too. School St sold 4 houses recently. Nobe Hill houses seem to sell just a few days, e.g. 10 Matthew Ct listing $599,900 and sold in 8 hour weeks ago and now just closed at $605,000 (over full price!!)

The only thing Piscataway does not have too many is million dollar house (http://newjersey.craigslist.org/search/rfs?query=piscataway&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max - broken link). Most 4br/5br houses are $400k to $600k range. But it also has many 3br/4br houses at $300k range that walk to train stations. Many first buyers seem to buy 2br condo or 2br/3br townhouses up to $450k in Piscataway, and therefore families moving up from townhouses seem to be able to move up quick, and that's why $500k to $600k houses also very poplular.

If you like brand new houses, there is going to be a dozen house development right next to JFK Library and to be built brand new YMCA at Piscataway near Hose Ln. And right behind it is Piscataway Senior Center. That is to say, a family with 3 generation, senior parents will have easy access to senior friends and resources (they have free breakfast or lunch for senior citizey), and kids can go to Library to study or attend concert and seminars, this is very valuable resources for after school hours. Then, not to mention brand new huge YMCA to be built in the near future.

One great resource many people did not realize is the Rutgers University right at town, and there are 5 student centers all have nice food court, seminars, speeches ...etc. Besides dozens of specialized libraries all available to your smart kids. e.g. you can even find Chinese Opera at wonderful music library and best Asian Library you can find in NJ.

I have to say Princeton Univ is a good resource, but do you know they need hundreds of dollars to use their library? unless your kids are their students? Same as the gym, we have to pay $15 for each of our kids to use it per visit. To certain extend, you would love Rutgers Univ much more... so are your small kids. I know many top students at Piscataway High School taking summer courses at Rutgers Univ, and that is cost effective if you live at Piscataway where you kids can drive over every day easily.

Last Saturday, I attended Piscataway High School event to find out all 10 schools in town has been renovated with new wings of classrooms, labs, concert hall ...etc. I would suggest that you visit the schools in town to get a first hand feeling by yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 09:21 AM

5 posts, read 15,275 times
Have you looked in South Plainfield. It is up and coming. I live in South Plainfield. I find it a great place to raise a family. Schools are good and it is close to shopping, entertainment, parks and churches. If you are looking to buy a home in South Plainfield, my family is selling a house which they recenlty reduced the price. Its in a great neighborhood. Everyone in this are really takes pride in their homes and property. The neighbors are fantastic as well. If your interested have your agent look in this area.. Its a split Level, quite street. Not far from Metro Park Train Station and Neighboring towns as Edison, Metuchen, Piscataway and Plainfield. I can tell you this much for sure. This house needs to sell fast!!! you might find it worth your while. Have your agent look into this for you. Its off park avenue in South Plainfield. I believe it is on susan street. Good luck..if you want further info. Let me know.

christina.

Last edited by fitzsimmons; 10-22-2007 at 09:23 AM.. Reason: choose icon

Old 10-22-2007, 09:26 AM

39 posts, read 138,309 times
Thanks a bunch guys for the great info!!!

Christina.. How old is the house. If its less than 10 years, Can you PM the MLS# info on the house. May be I will check it out.

Nan

Old 10-22-2007, 10:08 AM

Hi, here is the MLS# 804216 Century 21 Moretti Realty. Contact eiather John Cole or Patricia Cole. They recently reduced the price, i believe they still have to update the MLS but there are pictures up for your viewing. Good Luck!

Thanks for your interest.
Christina.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:10 AM

P.S. The house is more then 10 years old. Not sure what you are in the market for. However, this house has great potental for expanding on and has a great piece of property.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsimmons View Post
P.S. The house is more then 10 years old. Not sure what you are in the market for. However, this house has great potental for expanding on and has a great piece of property.
yep checked it. Not matching our criteria. thanks for sharing thou

Nan

Old 10-22-2007, 10:28 AM

Your welcome!

Old 10-22-2007, 10:40 AM

9,191 posts, read 20,215,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsimmons View Post
They recently reduced the price, i believe they still have to update the MLS but there are pictures up for your viewing. Good Luck!
Amazing how much houses cost up there Heck, for close to the same price we got new construction; 4 bedrooms, master with a sitting area & granite fireplace, large closet, plus a large master bathroom with jetted tub on more land in South Jersey. We own property on Somerset Street in Watchung...

You may want to tell the agents that their pictures aren't the greatest. I see in another post you mentioned an open house, which according to realtor.com isn't even listed. I also went to the agents site, not showing as open and it isn't a featured property.

btw, you may want to watch how much you advertise this house. Looks like you just joined & every post has to do with the house, which is a no-no.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:31 AM

Hey guys.... What do you think about Branchburg township .. Schools? commute to NYC, I guess is to take the raritan train and then change in Newark penn?

Also, PERRINEVILLE

Nan

Last edited by nanfromnj; 10-22-2007 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: Included another town :)

Old 10-22-2007, 12:30 PM

9,124 posts, read 32,106,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanfromnj View Post
Hey guys.... What do you think about Branchburg township .. Schools? commute to NYC, I guess is to take the raritan train and then change in Newark penn?

Also, PERRINEVILLE

Nan
My brother lives in Branchburg and they like the elementary schools. The only downside is that their kids are zoned to go to Somerville HS, which is pretty so-so. They've got around 6 years to figure out how to handle that though. You could do the train thing, but with the changing of trains, etc., figure on around 1.5 hours door to door (more if you're a long distance from the station to the office).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or