Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 04:25 PM

39 posts, read 152,301 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys,

I am new to this site. Lots of information.. wow!!!

Me had been in Edison for more than 6 years now and finally decided to move.

(1) Mercer, somerset and middlesex are the counties I shortlisted. Since I would be travelling in NY and wouldnt like to go deep south or further north for obvious reasons What do you think about these counties. I read lots of thread about Monroe, East and West Windsor. Planning to check Old bridge too. Is there anyother good town with less crime and great place to bring up kids? I guess from the threads here it seems schools are pretty good?

Nan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 08:16 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,053,778 times
Nan, The top performing schools in the area, Princeton, Montgomery (south of Somerset), West Windsor-Plainsboro and Hopewell Regional all vie for the best, in this area.
Monroe seems to be having some growing pains, their schools are good but not supported by a large retired population. That might change with the growing number of folks moving into the area. Quite a bit of development going on there.
East Windsor has a solid school district but over shadowed, scholastically, by the neighbouring districts.
You might also look at Robbinsville (OH! Gawd-Where is Christina- oh yeah-MO)
Their High School is pretty new- no graduating class yet- so no rating, but promising).
Good luck with your search.

Old 10-13-2007, 03:44 AM

146 posts, read 506,785 times
I'm watching this thread for suggestions as well. Looking to relocate soon with reasonable commute into NYC. Schools not as important in my case, but a little less traffic congestion and elbow room would be welcome.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:00 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,460,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanfromnj View Post
Hey Guys,

I am new to this site. Lots of information.. wow!!!

Me had been in Edison for more than 6 years now and finally decided to move.

(1) Mercer, somerset and middlesex are the counties I shortlisted. Since I would be travelling in NY and wouldnt like to go deep south or further north for obvious reasons What do you think about these counties. I read lots of thread about Monroe, East and West Windsor. Planning to check Old bridge too. Is there anyother good town with less crime and great place to bring up kids? I guess from the threads here it seems schools are pretty good?

Nan

Colonia is a nice section of Woodbridge you can look in
And the same for Sampy123
Since schools are not a major issue for Sampy123 they also could look in The
Inman Hgts section of Rahway which borders Colonia

Old 10-13-2007, 07:12 AM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times
Old Bridge is a great town to raise kids, good school system and good commute into the city either by bus (Route 9) or Matawan train (parking will be tough getting a permit, but daily is available). There's even an express bus pick up right outside the development on Route 516.

I live in the Lakeridge section (not selling for another 18 months), and we've been here for 22 years and love it. Private pool just for the homeowners at $375 a year.

LakeridgeEast

Old 10-13-2007, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
Nan, The top performing schools in the area, Princeton, Montgomery (south of Somerset), West Windsor-Plainsboro and Hopewell Regional all vie for the best, in this area.
Monroe seems to be having some growing pains, their schools are good but not supported by a large retired population. That might change with the growing number of folks moving into the area. Quite a bit of development going on there.
East Windsor has a solid school district but over shadowed, scholastically, by the neighbouring districts.
You might also look at Robbinsville (OH! Gawd-Where is Christina- oh yeah-MO)
Their High School is pretty new- no graduating class yet- so no rating, but promising).
Good luck with your search.
Thanks a lot !!!

Princeton - Is that a good neighborhood? I was thinking otherwise
Montgomery (south of Somerset) - yeah my agent she said that its very expensive area though :-\
West Windsor-Plainsboro and Hopewell Regional - Thanks.. will include that in my search as well

Brian... Colonia.. never heard of it but woodbridge you say... lots of Indians, yeah? Thanks thou...

planning to drive around these places.. will let u know

Nan

Old 10-13-2007, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Thanks a lot !!!

Montgomery (south of Somerset) - yeah my agent she said that its very expensive area though :-\
West Windsor-Plainsboro and Hopewell Regional - Thanks.. will include that in my search as well

Brian... Colonia.. never heard of it but woodbridge you say... lots of Indians, yeah? Thanks thou...

Nan

While Princeton and West Windsor are very nice, you're talking adding alot of time commuting into the city.

Old 10-13-2007, 02:05 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,053,778 times
Quote:
Thanks a lot !!!

Nan

Princeton is a lovely town, home to the University and a great downtown. It is an expensive town with a median housing price of 650K, taxes to match!
West Windsor and Plainsboro have a large Indian population.
As MPBsr said, you will be adding to your commute time from these towns!

Old 10-13-2007, 07:11 PM

Thanks guys...

Yeah, I understand that it would be adding to my commute ... but today after the drive, I love west/east windsor.. So calm and laid back...

Hmm.. may be I shud compromise the commute time

Nan

Old 10-13-2007, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys...

Yeah, I understand that it would be adding to my commute ... but today after the drive, I love west/east windsor.. So calm and laid back...

Hmm.. may be I shud compromise the commute time

Nan
The whole area is calm and laid back because all the commuters were still asleep from their long commute...LOL

Seriously, what you should do is talk to people on their commute and the time frame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey