U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-18-2012, 12:41 PM
 
10 posts, read 10,840 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousg View Post
If you are coming to the US sight unseen from Nigeria, you've obviously had some help in deciding to be in NJ near Manhattan. I would recommend talking to your friends/family in the states who know you, where you are coming from etc. for guidance rather than a bunch of strangers who have no clue what your needs are.
Thank you curiousg.. I appreciate. I just thought nothing wrong with a broader perspective of where i'm heading - especially with kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-18-2012, 04:48 PM
 
43,954 posts, read 44,096,289 times
Reputation: 46266
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_syno View Post
Ooooh come on guys, its funny how you guys just rope something a few people do in a big country like Nigeria on everyone living there. I think its high time you guys changed all that. Besides, I have not asked for anything other than a good place to live in NJ with my lovely family. So why brand one with such an undeserved character?

Simply bcos a few countrymen are scammers dont make the entire country scammers.
There are plenty of very honest and hard working nigerians all over the world and doing well - To be honest, nigerians doing well are much more than the so called scammers - the margine is too wide to be analysed here and its needless - sad how that dont make the news around the world.

Interesting how we have to deviate from the major topic of this thread but i should say i do understand how u guys feel about nigerians - but whats rather funny is how its being generalised.

I believe we all would agree that sometimes we prefer to be addressed as individuals rather than being addressed by what/how others do/behave simply cos u are from a particular place or region.
Oh definitely agree with you, jack. Stereotypes are stereotypes and the majority of Nigerians don't write ridiculous scam emails. But, we also have a sense of humor here, so EBWick's post is still funny.

Anyway, I hope you got some good pointers and that you find a place for your family. The biggest problem is going to be, I think, that's it's more expensive to live here than you anticipated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2012, 03:15 AM
 
10 posts, read 10,840 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Oh definitely agree with you, jack. Stereotypes are stereotypes and the majority of Nigerians don't write ridiculous scam emails. But, we also have a sense of humor here, so EBWick's post is still funny.

Anyway, I hope you got some good pointers and that you find a place for your family. The biggest problem is going to be, I think, that's it's more expensive to live here than you anticipated.
I'm aware of the costs. I just need a cool place in Northen Jersey to settle in with my family - assuming $$$$ wasnt much a problem.
Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2012, 08:30 AM
 
Location: Randolph, NJ
4,076 posts, read 6,448,719 times
Reputation: 3205
What do you mean by 'round the clock transport system'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2012, 09:12 AM
 
26,582 posts, read 50,119,919 times
Reputation: 12894
I'm not sure how you are immigrating without a job. What type of work do you expect to be doing? What type of work experience or education do you have?

You will not find a rental in a safe area with good schools in your price range anywhere within a reasonable commute to NYC. I'm wondering if you might be better off looking in a more affordable area, unless you will be able to secure a high paying job due to your education/work experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2012, 12:49 PM
 
37 posts, read 50,680 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I'm not sure how you are immigrating without a job. What type of work do you expect to be doing? What type of work experience or education do you have?

You will not find a rental in a safe area with good schools in your price range anywhere within a reasonable commute to NYC. I'm wondering if you might be better off looking in a more affordable area, unless you will be able to secure a high paying job due to your education/work experience.
I'm not sure about the school system in Ridgefield, NJ. One of the schools is rated "B-". The crime rate is very low in that city. It is about 10 miles from Manhattan. As I searched for rentals in that city..I found one bedroom apartment for $979 a month and a two-bedroom apartment for $1199 a month. I think it is possible for "Jack-syno" to find something within his budget in a fairly safe area close to Manahattan..such as Ridgefield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2012, 07:14 AM
 
10 posts, read 10,840 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiree67 View Post
I'm not sure about the school system in Ridgefield, NJ. One of the schools is rated "B-". The crime rate is very low in that city. It is about 10 miles from Manhattan. As I searched for rentals in that city..I found one bedroom apartment for $979 a month and a two-bedroom apartment for $1199 a month. I think it is possible for "Jack-syno" to find something within his budget in a fairly safe area close to Manahattan..such as Ridgefield.
thank you so much my dear.. I appreciate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2012, 07:32 AM
 
Location: Northern NJ
6,360 posts, read 6,462,333 times
Reputation: 9131
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
I hope this post finds you well. I'm a New Jersey prince from the City of Elizabeth. I have a large sum of money that the state of NJ is holding for me. I only need $5,000 dollars filing fee to get this significant sum of money. Should you help me in my quest, I will reward you handsomely...with the best town in NJ for you to live in on your budget.
Now THAT was a good one. I was already laughing 10 words in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2012, 12:04 PM
 
Location: a swanky suburb in my fancy pants
3,391 posts, read 6,924,264 times
Reputation: 1551
jack syno I don't understand why you choose North New Jersey and Manhattan. It's not really a nice place to live unless you are very rich. Cost of living is very high and living standard is low compared to many places in the US. Unless you have family or friends there to help you I would reconsider and do more research to find a new home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2012, 02:36 PM
 
3,986 posts, read 5,298,137 times
Reputation: 2872
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
jack syno I don't understand why you choose North New Jersey and Manhattan. It's not really a nice place to live unless you are very rich. Cost of living is very high and living standard is low compared to many places in the US. Unless you have family or friends there to help you I would reconsider and do more research to find a new home.
Maybe Soprano's re-runs just made it to his homeland. "I want to live just like that Tony Soprano...Essex Fells, here I come!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top