U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 01:18 PM

605 posts, read 1,646,470 times

Advertisements

Ok, everybody....West Orange is great. The Kmart shopping center and the bullet proof glass at Comcast service center makes me feel at home. The Macys shopping center is a dream. The area bordering Montclair is fabulous. I can't wait to spend $800,000 and send my kids to public school and know they will be ok. The bowling alley is a bowlers paradise on a Friday night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 10:18 PM

12,542 posts, read 16,562,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
Ok, everybody....West Orange is great. The Kmart shopping center and the bullet proof glass at Comcast service center makes me feel at home. The Macys shopping center is a dream. The area bordering Montclair is fabulous. I can't wait to spend $800,000 and send my kids to public school and know they will be ok. The bowling alley is a bowlers paradise on a Friday night.
there's bulletproof glass at cablevision in Hoboken - what's your point?

i didn't spend $800,000 on a house - that is idiotic in any city in NJ.

I am enjoying some pizza and wings from Johnny's Pizza on Main Street right this moment though. Seton Hall Prep is a nice fixture in town. the areas bordering South Orange, Livingston, and Cedar Grove are all quite nice. Llewellyn is one of the most exclusive communities in NJ.

I'll have to try out the bowling alley sometime.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:13 PM

8,813 posts, read 12,303,913 times
There's bulletproof glass at Comcast in Eagleville, PA (a nothing little suburb of Philadelphia with no crime to speak of). I think it's just that cable companies tend to drive their customers insane and know it.

I didn't reply to Magic's last post because I thought it spoke for itself. It's one thing to be unwilling to shop at Kmart, but to be unwilling to live in the same town as one is a more than a bit...much. I haven't been to the bowling alley either, though I notice Magic didn't mention the Highlawn Pavilion up the hill from it -- sometimes you might even see people from Short Hills there ;-)

I'll have to try Johnny's; I've been disappointed with most of the pizza around here; I don't like the style of Star Tavern and several of the others on my side of town aren't so good. Fortissimo's (on Pleasant Valley near Eagle Rock) is pretty good though.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:25 AM

605 posts, read 1,646,470 times
Sorry...I don't like West Orange at all. I don't think it Is a town worth investing oodles of money in considering what you get out of the town, regardless of where you are eating pizza. Some places there just aren't safe at night. I'm not a sheltered person (lived in run down areas of Boston and worked in Harlem for years in public housing as a social worker) but now I have kids, I view my priorities differently. No, I never lived in WO but my Livingston neighbors' perspectives on getting out of there and my own experiences there, driving around, shopping, doing research while looking at Bel Aire ourselves, etc. does not paint a favorable picture to spend $$$$$$$ money on a house there.

If the op wanted to drop $300,000 on a starter home, then totally different. OP wants to drop a ton of money on a home to live in long term/raise their kids, etc. totally different story.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:07 AM

8,067 posts, read 8,394,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
There's bulletproof glass at Comcast in Eagleville, PA (a nothing little suburb of Philadelphia with no crime to speak of). I think it's just that cable companies tend to drive their customers insane and know it.

I didn't reply to Magic's last post because I thought it spoke for itself. It's one thing to be unwilling to shop at Kmart, but to be unwilling to live in the same town as one is a more than a bit...much. I haven't been to the bowling alley either, though I notice Magic didn't mention the Highlawn Pavilion up the hill from it -- sometimes you might even see people from Short Hills there ;-)

I'll have to try Johnny's; I've been disappointed with most of the pizza around here; I don't like the style of Star Tavern and several of the others on my side of town aren't so good. Fortissimo's (on Pleasant Valley near Eagle Rock) is pretty good though.
When I was a kid, Starlight was the best Pizza around. They didn't deliver but we, and many others, gladly drove to West Orange to pick it up. Now it is nowhere near as good. I don't k ow what happened, but one day, it changed and never went back to being what it was. I do like Star Tavern, but you have to be in the mood for tavern style pizza.

I like Camarata's (deliver or pick up only) in Livingston. Anthony Francos isn't bad.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:08 AM

225 posts, read 515,064 times
I'll defend Magic78 to a degree in that if the buyer is really looking at spending close to 800k, there are better towns to spend that kind of money in (Westfield, Summit, Glen Ridge). If the buyer's budget is closer to 300-400k, I think WO is a perfectly good town to consider.
400-800k seems like a huge range in terms of purchase price. I think you need to get a better idea of your finances if you are really looking at a 400k range.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJHomebody View Post
I'll defend Magic78 to a degree in that if the buyer is really looking at spending close to 800k, there are better towns to spend that kind of money in (Westfield, Summit, Glen Ridge). If the buyer's budget is closer to 300-400k, I think WO is a perfectly good town to consider.
400-800k seems like a huge range in terms of purchase price. I think you need to get a better idea of your finances if you are really looking at a 400k range.
you may be right. i think that's a fair statement. but you also will get more with $800,000 in west orange than you will in westfield and glen ridge, more often than not. I don't know that i'd spend $800,000 in west orange simply because the property taxes on those properties are going to be close to $20,000, by rough estimate, if not more. But, if you want a newer home and large home, that's the kind of money you'll have to spend, i guess. i think with a range of $300-$600 you can get quite a nice home in west orange, though it will be older. one big drawback is the property sizes are generally small.

good points though!

Old 11-30-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post

i've had fortissimo's. it's good. might be slightly better than johnny's, i can't remember. johnny's isn't outstanding, but it's decent pizza and i like the guy that runs the place. i also like to support the businesses on Main St when I can.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:06 PM

19 posts, read 33,690 times
What about buying a new house in West Orange if you're an empty nester and don't need good schools. It seems like the area near the new homes and the JCC is good. Can't you avoid the bad areas of West Orange?

Old 01-31-2013, 11:02 AM

8,813 posts, read 12,303,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazon2 View Post
What about buying a new house in West Orange if you're an empty nester and don't need good schools. It seems like the area near the new homes and the JCC is good. Can't you avoid the bad areas of West Orange?
There's only one "bad area" of West Orange, the eastern corner roughly east of Franklin and north of Washington. The area near the JCC is fine. For an empty nester, the issues would be taxes and the lack of a train to NYC (if you need to go there).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey