U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 09:57 AM

4,607 posts, read 4,544,645 times

Advertisements

So the CIC wont let us join up unless we join their sports program ? ? ? That just goes to show what kind of a culture is out there. The uni takes precedent over everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 10:41 AM

1,285 posts, read 2,497,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
So the CIC wont let us join up unless we join their sports program ? ? ? That just goes to show what kind of a culture is out there. The uni takes precedent over everything.
University research takes precedence over everything, including education. You pay exorbitant tuition and fees for the privilege of being taught by assistant/adjunct professsors or teaching assistants.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:53 AM

4,607 posts, read 4,544,645 times
Lets hope some of that Big 10 network money goes to research, and lets hope they will be researching something worthwhile.

When I was at Penn State during the early 2000, I did not see any hi-tech facilities. Heck I rarely saw the "professors" on campus when there wasnt a class. If they were on, they were sitting in their offices that had nothing but a desk computers and a shelf with books. I cant imagine they could discovered anything ground breaking in there.

I have walked all over, been in most of the buildings, and those labs looked no better than my high school lab. Plus the doors were locked and the lights were off. I hope they had those expensive labs hidden somewhere.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:31 PM

3,986 posts, read 5,194,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Lets hope some of that Big 10 network money goes to research, and lets hope they will be researching something worthwhile.

When I was at Penn State during the early 2000, I did not see any hi-tech facilities. Heck I rarely saw the "professors" on campus when there wasnt a class. If they were on, they were sitting in their offices that had nothing but a desk computers and a shelf with books. I cant imagine they could discovered anything ground breaking in there.

I have walked all over, been in most of the buildings, and those labs looked no better than my high school lab. Plus the doors were locked and the lights were off. I hope they had those expensive labs hidden somewhere.
To be fair to Penn State, running a football pedophile ring is more costly than most people realize.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:14 PM

8,176 posts, read 8,830,073 times
I think it's great news. It's about time the New York area and the Philadelphia area finally has some representation in the Big 10 conference.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:41 PM

5,481 posts, read 9,391,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
The only problem is 7-5 can easily be 5-7 in the Big 14. Wins against MD, IL, IN, NW and perhaps Purdue can be expected. The rest are tougher. Again, a no-brainer to join the Big 10 but Rutgers has never-ever played a full season against real competition from game 1 through the end of the season.
In case you haven't been paying attention, Northwestern is no longer a football doormat. Take them lightly and you have a loss.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:50 PM

326 posts, read 407,963 times
Rutgers is exactly where it should've been a few years ago. Calling our current conference the Big Least makes perfect sense to me now.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:50 PM

5,886 posts, read 14,261,442 times
I don't understand some of the criticism of this move. Rutgers is jumping off the sinking ship (Big East) and is getting a seat at the table in one of the Big 5 conferences. Sure, we'll likely have an upside-down conference record for a few years, but this gives RU the capability to build the program and a huge recruiting advantage throughout the Northeast. If we play the cards right, Rutgers COULD be at the top of the conference in 8-10 years. Huge opportunity and huge WIN!

IMO this is far better than a move to the ACC (long rumored/hoped for among fans).

Old 11-21-2012, 06:59 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,497,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I don't understand some of the criticism of this move. Rutgers is jumping off the sinking ship (Big East) and is getting a seat at the table in one of the Big 5 conferences. Sure, we'll likely have an upside-down conference record for a few years, but this gives RU the capability to build the program and a huge recruiting advantage throughout the Northeast. If we play the cards right, Rutgers COULD be at the top of the conference in 8-10 years. Huge opportunity and huge WIN!

IMO this is far better than a move to the ACC (long rumored/hoped for among fans).
OP's just sayin that the rust belt states are in decline, both economic and demographic, and that the South (ACC) is the way to go.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:07 PM

1,952 posts, read 2,872,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
OP's just sayin that the rust belt states are in decline, both economic and demographic, and that the South (ACC) is the way to go.
This is actually one of the reasons the Big 10 commissioner gave for picking up RU and Maryland... The midwest isn't growing anymore, making it harder to get good recruits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey