U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 11:35 AM

20,679 posts, read 25,575,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I work in a nursing home, and many of the CNA's recieve some type of government help, whether for insurance for their kids, help with heating costs, etc.
their pay rates are so low because they can accept low pay rates because government makes up the difference. if government didnt make up the difference, people wouldnt take jobs that couldnt cover the cost of food. oh, but then they may actually have to bring their own lunch instead of using the benefit card at the convenience store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 11:41 AM

13,444 posts, read 12,161,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
their pay rates are so low because they can accept low pay rates because government makes up the difference. if government didnt make up the difference, people wouldnt take jobs that couldnt cover the cost of food. oh, but then they may actually have to bring their own lunch instead of using the benefit card at the convenience store.
I'm sorry, this is crap. I know these women (and a few men), they did not choose to take low paying jobs, they have no choice, it's just the reality that w/o a degree (and increasingly, even with one), this is what most jobs are becoming today. Do you really believe if it weren't for government help, they'd all be able to go out and get $20 an hour jobs tomorrow? You think they work 8-16 hours a days wiping people's behinds and changing their diapers, hurting their backs lifting people, sometimes getting hit by those same people they are helping, because it's easier than taking a higher paying job?

Old 11-22-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry, this is crap. I know these women, they did not choose to take low paying jobs, they have no choice, it's just the reality that w/o a degree, this is what most jobs are becoming today. Do you really believe if it weren't for government help, they'd all be able to go out and get $20 an hour jobs tomorrow? You think they work 12 hours a days wiping people's behinds, hurting their backs lifting 120 pound people, sometimes getting hit by those same people they are helping, because it's easier than taking a higher paying job?
what does it have to do with you knowing the women? in many cases, not only does the government indirectly cause lower rates, they directly set the rates. when someone has medicaid to pay for their nursing home stay, how much do you think medicaid pays for the care provided by CNA's?

if government didnt provide these public assistance benefits, the jobs would either have to pay more or they would have to go away. when it comes to healthcare, the payer is going to look at available options and find the lowest cost to satisfy the need. if your CNA suddenly costs $20 an hour as opposed to $8 an hour, there may be alternatives to nursing homes that would need to be looked into.

but in any case, when the government covers someones healthcare; now companies dont have to provide healthcare. if the government covers their food, now the company doesnt need to factor the cost of food into the salary (its really the worker that ultimately decides because they are the ones that need to pick a job that will pay enough for them to survive).

Old 11-22-2012, 11:48 AM

27 posts, read 114,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
whats he trying to prove? that people who actually work for a living arent giving enough of their hard earned money to the parasites living in his city?

i actually saw a relatively normal lady at a convenience store buying a sandwich with a benefit card the other day. these people just abuse the crap out of us and complain its not enough. so she probably paid like $8 for lunch when someone who works and is considerate of the money spent (because they earned it) are bringing lunch from home costing much less. "food stamps" shouldnt pay for anything but rice, potatoes, oats and other products of that nature. you can live on oats and be healthy, people who are using other people's money for food shouldnt be eating any better.
Could not agree more but unfortunately in this day and age working for what you want isn't something that people (especially in these areas) hold as a high priority. In their minds they are owed all this stuff. Everyone needs help sometimes but the system gets so much abuse it's crazy. Anyone on here who thinks that this doesn't happen on a regular basis must spend too much time in their fantasy world and I would bet they never have even stepped foot in Newark or a similar area and saw first hand the type of people that abuse welfare benefits. Truth hurts.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:51 AM

the girl who used the benefit card didnt look happy. i bet she would be happier if she or her husband worked and earned the money to pay for the sandwich. but people will often take the easy road even though its not the road that will provide them with a better life. i dont blame her for taking advantage of what the government is providing. but the government is creating dependent people and reducing incentive to work.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:51 AM

6,272 posts, read 6,339,966 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, this is crap. I know these women, they did not choose to take low paying jobs, they have no choice, it's just the reality that w/o a degree (and increasingly, even with one), this is what most jobs are becoming today. Do you really believe if it weren't for government help, they'd all be able to go out and get $20 an hour jobs tomorrow? You think they work 12 hours a days wiping people's behinds, hurting their backs lifting 120 pound people, sometimes getting hit by those same people they are helping, because it's easier than taking a higher paying job?
Nobody has a right to a high wage. Or a living wage. Or any wage. The world demands a certain basic usefullness in order for you to be paid enough to live. Make yourself at least that good, and you can eat. If not, you can beg. But never do you have a right to demand. Need is not a claim. Need is just something that shows you what you need to do.

Food stamps are a disgusting example of the lazy demanding from the productive. And getting it. And not only that, they even get to victimize the rest of us without shame. Now they get a bloody VISA card so their "dignity", whatever that means, wont be damaged. At least if you are on the dole, vampiring off your fellow man, you should have the courage to let everyone know what you are doing.

So disgusting. A bloody VISA card so thay can hide their status. And we let this happen.

And by the way, the 1% are responsible for everything good that the rest of us non-talents enjoy. Let's not forget that the next time we slide the unlock on our iphone touchscreen.

I'm tired of no talent useless human vegetables criticizing those with talent and drive. We need to thank the 1%, not curse them. Our lives would be nothing without them. Nothing.

Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:47 PM

4,799 posts, read 1,642,424 times
How did we get ourselves into the situation with so many on food stamps? Let's count the ways:
1) Greedy corporations who don't pay a decent wage
2) Greedy unions driving greedy coporations out of business and/or making them non-competitive
3) The open borders policy followed by many administrations, allowing Mexicans to just waltz right in, steal people's identities, take low paying jobs away from Americans, and then on top of everything else, take every dollar they can from the "system".

Step one is to close the borders, folks. Clean up the border problem and then let's look for other solutions. And Marc, I like many of your postings but you are off base on this one. This isn't 1980 anymore, the economy has changed for the worse, prices are a lot higher than they used to be and a lot more people really do need food stamps. Although if I"m in charge I'm implemening strict "no drug" and "no more children" policies for those who take the food stamps. You can't be taking from the public trough and not expect to have a few rules in place, now can you.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:06 PM

513 posts, read 878,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I think it is a double edged sword with our immigration system though. We bring in people from 3rd world countries willing to work for peanuts. If there wasn't outside labor constantly streaming in, and there wasn't generous government assistance, these people might just group together and demand a reasonable wage.

My 2 cents.
Most of these minimum wage workers from Walmart, McDonalds and long-term care centers (like a nursing home) are not from "third world countries". Are you saying that the SNAP program and heating assistance prevents them from joining a movement toward collective bargaining? Thank goodness that many people in this country are finally waking up to what's been happening to workers lately in these times of vulture capitalism.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:57 PM

3,799 posts, read 8,060,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryanne10 View Post
Most of these minimum wage workers from Walmart, McDonalds and long-term care centers (like a nursing home) are not from "third world countries". Are you saying that the SNAP program and heating assistance prevents them from joining a movement toward collective bargaining?
Yes. They would have a lot more motivation to do so. But it is difficult to organize a union when you have a bunch of non-English speaking workers in a new country.

Somewhere like Mcdonalds is a teenagers job imo, but it is ridiculous that those working a job such as an HHA make such pitiful salaries. It is pretty much all immigrants from the 3rd world working these jobs, happy for what they can get. If it were a typical born and raised American working these jobs, the pay would have to be much, much better

Old 11-22-2012, 05:44 PM

513 posts, read 878,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Yes. They would have a lot more motivation to do so. But it is difficult to organize a union when you have a bunch of non-English speaking workers in a new country.

Somewhere like Mcdonalds is a teenagers job imo, but it is ridiculous that those working a job such as an HHA make such pitiful salaries. It is pretty much all immigrants from the 3rd world working these jobs, happy for what they can get. If it were a typical born and raised American working these jobs, the pay would have to be much, much better
I've been a registered nurse for 30 years. The nurses aides in the non-profit hospital settings work full-time hours and have decent compensation packages. This is not true is the for-profit hospitals and long-term care facilities. These are businesses, run to make stockholders profits, and calling what goes on in some of those facilities "health care" is a total fraud. Have you ever been a union organizer? It's not as easy as you may think, especially now. I do admire the Walmart workers movement. They are raising consciousness about the growing divide. Happy Thanksgiving!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey