U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 04:39 AM

4,613 posts, read 1,590,147 times

Advertisements

Newark Mayor Cory Booker to live on food stamp budget - Economy

This guy continues to impress me. This is leadership and it's raising awareness of an important topic. Name me another politician in the U.S that would do something like this. Certainly not Chris Christie and those of you who see my postings on here know that I'm a big fan of the NJ governor.

Maybe what we need is a Christie / Booker presidential ticket in 2016, something that would bring the divided country together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 05:37 AM

769 posts, read 1,301,461 times
This is just a PR stunt. Mayor Booker should focus more on how to get jobs into Newark then living on food stamps for a week. It would be more beneficial to everyone in Newark who is looking for work.

Old 11-22-2012, 05:38 AM

12,381 posts, read 21,090,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izannimda View Post
This is just a PR stunt. Mayor Booker should focus more on how to get jobs into Newark then living on food stamps for a week. It would be more beneficial to everyone who is looking for work.
He has , Newark has a small but growing building boom under way.....

Old 11-22-2012, 08:21 AM

1,287 posts, read 2,504,775 times
Yawn...

Former Chicago mayor Jane Byrne moved into an apartment in the Cabrini Green public housing project back in the 1970s.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:15 AM

20,606 posts, read 25,453,203 times
whats he trying to prove? that people who actually work for a living arent giving enough of their hard earned money to the parasites living in his city?

i actually saw a relatively normal lady at a convenience store buying a sandwich with a benefit card the other day. these people just abuse the crap out of us and complain its not enough. so she probably paid like $8 for lunch when someone who works and is considerate of the money spent (because they earned it) are bringing lunch from home costing much less. "food stamps" shouldnt pay for anything but rice, potatoes, oats and other products of that nature. you can live on oats and be healthy, people who are using other people's money for food shouldnt be eating any better.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:54 AM

3,986 posts, read 5,209,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
whats he trying to prove? that people who actually work for a living arent giving enough of their hard earned money to the parasites living in his city?

i actually saw a relatively normal lady at a convenience store buying a sandwich with a benefit card the other day. these people just abuse the crap out of us and complain its not enough. so she probably paid like $8 for lunch when someone who works and is considerate of the money spent (because they earned it) are bringing lunch from home costing much less. "food stamps" shouldnt pay for anything but rice, potatoes, oats and other products of that nature. you can live on oats and be healthy, people who are using other people's money for food shouldnt be eating any better.
How generous of you to say what people should & shouldn't be eating. You realize that food stamp usage has exploded after our 1-percenters ruined the world economy 4 years ago, right? Many Wal-Mart workers (our #1 company) use food stamps and Medicaid. I guess we should ask the billionaire Walton family why they are contributing to the problem.

Thankfully your hateful kind of "me first!" Republicanism is fading away. Even those in your own party aren't down with it any more.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:58 AM

20,606 posts, read 25,453,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
How generous of you to say what people should & shouldn't be eating.
i think just about everyone has an opinion of what food stamps should and shouldnt cover, not just me. it seems perfectly rational that food stamps should cover the minimum necessary to provide a healthy diet. people that work for a living should have some benefit to it. i eat a lot of oats myself, they cost about 75 cents a pound.

government subsidies like food stamps reduce salaries because the government steps in to cover certain expenses so employers dont have to pay as much.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:11 AM

3,986 posts, read 5,209,970 times
Quote:
government subsidies like food stamps reduce salaries because the government steps in to cover certain expenses so employers dont have to pay as much.

Here's a Faux News bimbo joking about living on $133 a month. It'll make her skinny and that's good

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2172496.html

Last edited by EBWick; 11-22-2012 at 10:26 AM..

Old 11-22-2012, 10:58 AM

13,370 posts, read 12,057,202 times
Quote:
i think just about everyone has an opinion of what food stamps should and shouldnt cover, not just me. it seems perfectly rational that food stamps should cover the minimum necessary to provide a healthy diet. people that work for a living should have some benefit to it. i eat a lot of oats myself, they cost about 75 cents a pound.

I think it's the other way around. Government had to step in because big corporations chose not to. I have read staggering statistics of the number of Walmart (McDonalds was second) employees who are on government assistance of some type. It is on some accounts as high as 80%. These companies choose to have us pay benefits because it's more profitable for us to then for them. They are living high on the hog because we enable it. That cheap toy is not as cheap as people seem to think.

I work in a nursing home, and many of the CNA's recieve some type of government help, whether for insurance for their kids, help with heating costs, etc. And these women work their butts off, sign up for extra shifts, etc. This is why the middle class is disappearing while the 1% prosper, and the people who are paying the price (most of us who pay taxes) actually cheer them on.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:02 AM

3,793 posts, read 8,029,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I think it's the other way around. Government had to step in because big corporations chose not to. I have read staggering statistics of the number of Walmart (McDonalds was second) employees who are on government assistance of some type. It is on some accounts as high as 80%. These companies choose to have us pay benefits because it's more profitable for us to then for them. They are living high on the hog because we enable it. That cheap toy is not as cheap as people seem to think.

I work in a nursing home, and many of the CNA's recieve some type of government help, whether for insurance for their kids, help with heating costs, etc. And these women work their butts off, sign up for extra shifts, etc. This is why the middle class is disappearing while the 1% prosper, and the people who are paying the price (most of us who pay taxes) actually cheer them on.
I think it is a double edged sword with our immigration system though. We bring in people from 3rd world countries willing to work for peanuts. If there wasn't outside labor constantly streaming in, and there wasn't generous government assistance, these people might just group together and demand a reasonable wage.

My 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey