U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 10:51 AM

1,103 posts, read 4,199,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

The problem is that I had no way of knowing that the GSP was that bad until I was actually on it, and of course once you're on it, you don't know how far down the mess is.
You can dial 511. If there is an accident it will let you know at what time and where. I travel the Parkway and Turnpike a lot and I have altered my route a couple of times when I knew there was an accident that I could avoid.

I don't know if it will tell you that there is excessive volume. However the 511 website does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 11:44 AM

5,102 posts, read 11,135,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
My SIL told me yesterday that she heard on the radio that the Turnpike had a 12 mile backup southbound and 8 mile backup northbound in the exit 8a area. Maybe that had something to do with it - people detouring (although the tkpe and pkwy aren't really converged at that point but maybe ppl cut across). Usually Tgiving traffic is light.
That backup is very inherent to the Turnpike itself and will be that way until they get the whole expansion down there done. That one is kind of a regular expected thing with "everybody & their uncle" on that road especially weekends and holidays.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:29 PM

43,994 posts, read 44,143,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
There most certainly is a way. simply log on to the extensive real time traffic cam system and look.
New Jersey Turnpike Authority

Or the live traffic system
Live Traffic
Oh, thanks, and very interesting site that I will make a note of, but that doesn't help me much when I'm already driving!

Old 11-23-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
It's NJ, what are you gonna do? The most people per square mile of all the states, new immigrants still relocating to NJ.

As much as I miss things about NJ, traffic is one I don't miss.

When we were teenagers the trip to Seaside Heights from Edison was 45-60 min. What is it now 2 hrs?
Fughedaboutit
I'm pretty familiar with the Jersey traffic situation, having lived here for 54 years, but I guess you missed the part where it wasn't this way on the Parkway for the past three Thanksgivings, making the exact same trip.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
My SIL told me yesterday that she heard on the radio that the Turnpike had a 12 mile backup southbound and 8 mile backup northbound in the exit 8a area. Maybe that had something to do with it - people detouring (although the tkpe and pkwy aren't really converged at that point but maybe ppl cut across). Usually Tgiving traffic is light.
I think because of the 6-to-9 widening project, that will be the case for a while in that area of the Turnpike, but I'm not sure that would have affected my trip. To be precise, I was traveling the GSP from 109 to 156 on the way up, and on the way back, I got on, as mentioned, from 17 South in Paramus.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrjersey View Post
You can dial 511. If there is an accident it will let you know at what time and where. I travel the Parkway and Turnpike a lot and I have altered my route a couple of times when I knew there was an accident that I could avoid.

I don't know if it will tell you that there is excessive volume. However the 511 website does.
I keep seeing the signs for "call before you go" or whatever for 511. Good to know. I could have checked from my bro's computer before I left my mother's house. My daughter was catching an 8:30 bus in Paramus, and I guess I just didn't think there would be heavy traffic on the Parkway that late on Thanksgiving. Again, I've been going to mom's in Bergen County from Monmouth County since 2009, and this is the first year I had traffic like this--AND both coming and going. It just seems odd.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:33 PM
PDD

8,776 posts, read 12,958,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm pretty familiar with the Jersey traffic situation, having lived here for 54 years, but I guess you missed the part where it wasn't this way on the Parkway for the past three Thanksgivings, making the exact same trip.
Well then you know the traffic situation in NJ never gets better. Every few years new lanes get added to the T'Pike or Parkway.

54 Years ago the T'Pike had two or three lanes in each direction. What does it have now? Is it up to eight lanes? I haven't been back in two years.

Don't discount that some people will drive rather than deal with the stupid airlines, that could certainly contribute to higher than normal holiday traffic.

Lucky for me I rarely had to travel the Turnpike or Parkway but I 78 was no walk in the park either.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:50 PM

225 posts, read 515,342 times
I don't find those traffic lines terribly useful since there are very rarely cases where one can take an alternate route in this state. Whenever I commute home on the GSP and see "Heavy Traffic Ahead, Use Alternate Route" I just laugh wondering what mysterious highway I'm supposed to use. As if backroads would get me home any faster.

Rt 17 has been terrible lately. Almost every night for the past month or so has taken 30 mins to travel what should be no more than a 10 min drive.

Old 11-23-2012, 03:27 PM

512 posts, read 906,001 times
Got on PKWY at I287, exit 128 South, Thurs at about 3pm
flew down to exit 74 in record time
was wide open

Coming home about 8pm
more traffic but, but still did 70-75 all the way up
fastest time in years

stopped for gas at PKWY Forked river
no one at pumps
they were standing around

I assumed a lot of people who normally go to LBI and the shore, couldn't or wouldn't go.
made my trip a breeze
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey