U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 03:57 PM

5,894 posts, read 14,332,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFemme86 View Post
Anyone here work for or know someone who works for the Port Authority? Any indication at all on a potential date for when service will be resumed. Even a ball park (this year, March 2013, anything?). The lack of communication is really frustrating. There are other options-- but knowing some sort of time frame will help make planning easier (buying a monthly vs. single rides, what to do for holidays, etc).
I agree communication from the Port Authority is been terrible through this crisis (although it's never been good anyway). No press releases, no press conferences, no responses to online questions, nothing. PATHVISION has outdated information (as of today, PATHVISION doesn't acknowledge that Newark, 9th or Christopher stations are open).

I asked a conductor last week when Hoboken service might come back. He said he didn't know.

PATH isn't nearly as customer-focused as NJT or MTA. From the Port Authority's point of view they have a lot of competing interests (bridges/tunnels, port terminals, airports, REAL ESTATE, and Path). PATH loses money. So I can only imagine how it ranks in the pecking order. Heck, every day the PATH isn't running full service is a day the PA probably saves some money. And it doesn't appear there's any pressure from politicians or anyone else to hurry up and bring Hoboken service or late night service back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 09:37 PM

2,100 posts, read 2,496,457 times
It probably won't be open for a good 5-6 months. Many of those months will be spent by utility workers eating taylor ham and cheese sandwiches, taking naps, and picking they're butts until they are forced to work harder.

But you know, anything to see young professionals get pissy in the morning by having to take the bus.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:54 AM

11,737 posts, read 13,631,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
It probably won't be open for a good 5-6 months. Many of those months will be spent by utility workers eating taylor ham and cheese sandwiches, taking naps, and picking they're butts until they are forced to work harder.

But you know, anything to see young professionals get pissy in the morning by having to take the bus.

Actually, your gloomy prediction is not accurate, according to the latest press PA release.
While the latest news about the Hoboken PATH terminal is not good, it is nowhere near as bad as your prediction.

(They're butts? )

Hoboken PATH station won't re-open for weeks, officials say | NJ.com

Old 11-27-2012, 02:16 PM

43,376 posts, read 43,204,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I agree communication from the Port Authority is been terrible through this crisis (although it's never been good anyway). No press releases, no press conferences, no responses to online questions, nothing. PATHVISION has outdated information (as of today, PATHVISION doesn't acknowledge that Newark, 9th or Christopher stations are open).

I asked a conductor last week when Hoboken service might come back. He said he didn't know.

PATH isn't nearly as customer-focused as NJT or MTA. From the Port Authority's point of view they have a lot of competing interests (bridges/tunnels, port terminals, airports, REAL ESTATE, and Path). PATH loses money. So I can only imagine how it ranks in the pecking order. Heck, every day the PATH isn't running full service is a day the PA probably saves some money. And it doesn't appear there's any pressure from politicians or anyone else to hurry up and bring Hoboken service or late night service back.
First of all, not all of Hoboken NJT service is restored. The NJCL, which normally has trains going in and out of both Hoboken and NY Penn still has no Hoboken Service. The ticket counters and the stores in Hoboken are not open, either.

I get pathalerts several times a day, but I agree, they aren't giving out information as to when Hoboken will be restored. I'm guessing they don't have a firm handle on the timetable. However, the damage to the PATH equipment/signal system and the PATH cars (more than 50 out of 350 were damaged by water--most of the electronic components are underneath the floors of the cars, and that's what got wet) is separate from the damage to the rest of Hoboken Terminal. The parts to fix this aren't sitting on a stockroom shelf somewhere.

But, they do have info on the PA/PATH website:

PATH - The Port Authority of NY & NJ

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey