Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 10:05 AM

153 posts, read 488,530 times

Advertisements

Last night, I was traveling down a road and a Ford Explorer driven by a young woman made a left turn in front of me. I slammed on the breaks, but she didn't make the turn in time. There was some light front-end damage to my vehicle (a little crumpled, headlight destroyed) but nothing in the area of totaling the car. No airbag deployment as I had slowed to probably about 10 mph (my poor brakes!). And there were no injuries.

I never spoke to the woman in the other car as she pulled into the entrance to a condo development that isn't exactly a "good" place and she had what appeared to be her seedy looking friends come out to "help" her in the situation. Lovely.

In any event, the police came and the two officers told me the report would find her at fault and she would be issued a careless driving citation. Fortunately, a fireman was driving behind me in a marked department SUV and witnessed the whole thing. When I got home, I called my insurance company to report the accident. But now I'm thinking I should not have done that. Because I called them, does this somehow go "against" me since I'm reporting a claim rather than just calling the other person's insurance company? Years back, I was rear-ended (ironically on the same road) and I don't remember if I got my insurance company involved or not.

Anyone who's been in this situation before care to comment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 11:36 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,931,627 times
I can almost guarantee you will be found at fault here, regardless of what the cops told you. You drove into the back of her car and it doesn't matter if she took three hours to make the turn.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
I can almost guarantee you will be found at fault here, regardless of what the cops told you. You drove into the back of her car and it doesn't matter if she took three hours to make the turn.
I didn't drive into the back of her car at all. She was turning from the opposite lane (she wasn't in front of me) and turned into my path as I had the right of way. I'm not debating the construct of the accident. She was found at fault at the scene and issued a ticket.

My question is on the administrative side.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:04 PM

2 posts, read 10,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
It sounds like the Explorer's driver was on the other side of the road, going in the opposite direction until she made a left turn in front of the original poster's vehicle. My guess, from these clues, is that the Explorer was probably hit on the right side.

Anyway... to the OP, I really wouldn't know. If the repairs you need to have done on your vehicle indicate accident-related damage, I think it's better to have reported it. If in the future you get into a minor accident, get it into a shop for a "check up" and see if the mechanics mention anything that had to have come from an accident. If there isn't anything, it'd probably be better for your wallet not to report it.

For now, your insurance company will probably keep checking up with you on the incident for a little while, just to make sure all of the details are consistent and properly documented. So just make sure to mention all of the details (the speed limit, if you had a green light, etc.) that would put you in the best position possible.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VagabondXen View Post
It sounds like the Explorer's driver was on the other side of the road, going in the opposite direction until she made a left turn in front of the original poster's vehicle. My guess, from these clues, is that the Explorer was probably hit on the right side.
Correct. It was a two lane road. I was proceeding straight down it and she was stopped in the opposite lane with a left turn signal on. For some reason (on the phone?) she decided to make her turn just as I was coming.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:36 PM

551 posts, read 1,187,353 times
All claims regardless of fault go into a database that insuers check when you apply... you still did the right thing by reporting it to YOUR insurance; this is why we pay them - for accidents/repairs!

Old 04-03-2010, 01:00 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,718,503 times
Even though NJ is still not fault the other party being given a ticket at the scene changes things, so reporting it to your insurance should not get you any insurance points. My brother got into an accident (he is on my insurance since I am his legal guardian) and he was not at fault, and the other insurance company contacted our insurance company. He did not get any insurance points.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Even though NJ is still not fault the other party being given a ticket at the scene changes things, so reporting it to your insurance should not get you any insurance points. My brother got into an accident (he is on my insurance since I am his legal guardian) and he was not at fault, and the other insurance company contacted our insurance company. He did not get any insurance points.
I remember hearing that "no fault" is really only for bodily injuries, whereas property damage is assigned to the party at fault. Is this still the case?

Old 04-03-2010, 02:17 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,854,770 times
not entirely sure. I thought there should be no reason to call your insurance in this instance. her insurance should issue you a check for the damages . Your insurance company would find out either way.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:44 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,042,807 times
Should you have called your insurance company to alert them to the accident? Yes. Why? Because it is in the terms of your policy that you are to report all accidents to them.

How your insurance company reacts depends a lot upon how your coverage is written and what the TC Report says. Generally, however, if you have a clean driving record (no tickets, accident-free, marginal number of repairs) your rates generally stay the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: