U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 02:23 PM

6 posts, read 15,161 times

Advertisements

I actually currently reside in New Jersey, but am contemplating relocating elsewhere in Jersey.

The most important thing for me is that the rent is cheap, but I really want to live somewhere a bit greener, somewhere with a farmers market and less streets and pollution than other places.

Does anyone know some green areas in Jersey? I want to be as self-supportive as possible, by growing my own food and living off the land, etc.

I am a big walker, and biker, and have no use for cars or trains unless completely necessary. I travel almost entirely by walking with no problems, so being near transits or cars is of no concern, in fact I prefer to be somewhere with minimal streets.

I am looking for between $300 and $700 a month (cheap as it gets). The size and utilities of the apartment is of no concern to me: Even a one room apartment with no air conditioning suffices. The only utility I would want is internet, which I expect won't be a problem. Having ANY land at all to grow food for this price range would suffice.

I do not want to be in a crime neighborhood or ghetto, and preferably not too close to one.

Access to stores, recreational facilities, etc. are of no concern to me: as long as I can get food from a farmers markets.

A community that cares for environmentalism, self sufficiency, growing food, etc. Would be a plus for me.

Being near NYC, Philadelphia, or anywhere else is of no concern to me.

My primary focus is to make enough to get by for at least 6 months, and I have about $5000 to start off with.

Help is much appreciated

Last edited by Scriabin; 11-26-2012 at 03:46 PM.. Reason: more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 02:55 PM

11,658 posts, read 13,496,963 times
With the exception of Hudson County, and many parts of Essex, Bergen, Union, and Middlesex Counties, most of NJ is "green", and most of it is relatively free from air pollution.

Can you be more specific in terms of what you are looking for?

What constitutes "cheap" rent to you?
How much land do you expect to get (along with a rental home) for the price of that "cheap" rent?
How far from NYC and/or Philadelphia do you want to be located?
Do you need easy access to public transit?
Do you want easy access to cultural facilities?
Do you want easy access to recreational facilities?

Old 11-26-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
With the exception of Hudson County, and many parts of Essex, Bergen, Union, and Middlesex Counties, most of NJ is "green", and most of it is relatively free from air pollution.

Can you be more specific in terms of what you are looking for?

What constitutes "cheap" rent to you?
How much land do you expect to get (along with a rental home) for the price of that "cheap" rent?
How far from NYC and/or Philadelphia do you want to be located?
Do you need easy access to public transit?
Do you want easy access to cultural facilities?
Do you want easy access to recreational facilities?

Sorry I edited

Old 11-26-2012, 03:53 PM

Some remote areas of Sussex County might fit your needs.
Do you mind sharing your garden with the deer and the bears?

Old 11-26-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Some remote areas of Sussex County might fit your needs.
Do you mind sharing your garden with the deer and the bears?

Absolutely! I eventually plan on living alongside deer and bears but only when there are enough fruits bearing plants to feed the animals :P

Old 11-26-2012, 11:00 PM

3 posts, read 4,819 times
Teaneck might also be a good fit. Plenty to do, good stores, outdoor farmer's market open until it gets too cold, walk to houses of worship, great business district, racially and culturally diverse, safe, accessible to public transportation (if needed), close to NYC. Rents not too bad for the NYC metro area, but probably in the upper range of your budget. Nothing is that cheap anymore anywhere in New Jersey and hot, humid summer weather might make you wish for air conditioning. Just being realistic.

Last edited by MsJazzMaven; 11-26-2012 at 11:22 PM.. Reason: wanted to change my reply after reading the initial post again.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:20 AM

12,284 posts, read 29,224,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsJazzMaven View Post
Teaneck might also be a good fit. Plenty to do, good stores, outdoor farmer's market open until it gets too cold, walk to houses of worship, great business district, racially and culturally diverse, safe, accessible to public transportation (if needed), close to NYC. Rents not too bad for the NYC metro area, but probably in the upper range of your budget. Nothing is that cheap anymore anywhere in New Jersey and hot, humid summer weather might make you wish for air conditioning. Just being realistic.
No offense MsJazzMaven, but your recommendation couldn't be any more polar opposite to what the OP wants.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
No offense MsJazzMaven, but your recommendation couldn't be any more polar opposite to what the OP wants.
As I usually do, I agree with Tahiti.
I have to wonder if MsJazzMaven actually read the OP's post.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:17 PM

13,325 posts, read 12,011,105 times
I would suggest south Jersey as my impression is it's cheaper, and we definitely have lots of farms and land...but even here, $300-$700 a month rent might not be doable. Have you considered a roommate?

Old 11-27-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I would suggest south Jersey as my impression is it's cheaper, and we definitely have lots of farms and land...but even here, $300-$700 a month rent might not be doable. Have you considered a roommate?
I certainly want a roomate, but almost everyone I know is keen on finishing this year of college before thinking about moving out :|
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey