U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 08:33 AM

2,097 posts, read 5,046,587 times

Advertisements

I use the NY Waterway's ferry service. they have parking (for a charge) but when you arrive in the NY side their fleet of shuttle buses will get you to the tourist areas free of charge and return.

New York Attractions - NY Waterway

A bit more expensive but it's a one time trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 10:14 AM

12,284 posts, read 29,219,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
Another reasonable option would be to drive in through the Lincoln Tunnel, right into the big parking garage on 42nd St. Usually not much traffic on the weekends, except maybe Fri/Sat evening. Cost comes out to about the same as NJT for a family of 4.
agree. we do this frequently.

also, we will sometimes drive to Journal Square in Jersey City and park at the place across from the PATH for $8. I did that for the Giants parade and it worked out really well.

ETA: the parking lot is at the end of Magnolia Ave.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:17 AM

12,284 posts, read 29,219,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Yup, this, or the train to penn are the easiest.

And if you have girls, they will love stopping at American Girl Place, which is clsoe to Rockefeller Center and Radio City.
American Girl makes me thankful I have boys.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:06 PM

11,653 posts, read 13,489,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
also, we will sometimes drive to Journal Square in Jersey City and park at the place across from the PATH for $8. I did that for the Giants parade and it worked out really well.
I normally drive to Journal Square, park in the PATH parking garage, and take the PATH train to Manhattan from there.

With two people, the total cost of Turnpike tolls, gas, parking, and PATH fares is a bit less than the NJ Transit fare from my area (for two people). With more than 2 people, the cost advantage of driving to Journal Square is even greater.

And, another advantage is not being tied to NJ Transit's schedule of...possibly...a 1 hour wait for a train. The PATH train runs every 15 minutes, so I can do things at my pace in NYC, rather than having to do them as per NJ Transit's schedule.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:04 PM

43,287 posts, read 42,869,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I normally drive to Journal Square, park in the PATH parking garage, and take the PATH train to Manhattan from there.

With two people, the total cost of Turnpike tolls, gas, parking, and PATH fares is a bit less than the NJ Transit fare from my area (for two people). With more than 2 people, the cost advantage of driving to Journal Square is even greater.

And, another advantage is not being tied to NJ Transit's schedule of...possibly...a 1 hour wait for a train. The PATH train runs every 15 minutes, so I can do things at my pace in NYC, rather than having to do them as per NJ Transit's schedule.

A similar option--parking garage near the Exchange Place PATH station at Greene St. and Columbus Drive.

Easy drive on weekends --Turnpike to exit 14 A B C--after you go through the toll booth, bear right onto Columbus Drive--it's five or six blocks to Greene Street, and the parking garage will cost you $10 on weekends to park all day. You can catch the PATH train to the WTC--it's a 3 1/2 - minute ride, and from WTC catch subways to where you need to go.

Maybe not the best idea if you want to go to mostly midtown, though.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:08 PM

3,858 posts, read 7,417,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSportsNut View Post
I know it is going to be crowded, but I do not think my wife has any idea of just how crowded. Thanks for the advice.
I think everyone else basically covered it-the only two things I have to offer are that while skating at Rockefeller Center and the tree were mentioned, but you should also know that you can go to the "Top of the Rock" which is an observation deck at the top floor of the building-it offers great views and is a neat little tour that takes you through the history of the building. I proposed to my wife up there at night in December after we had gone to see the tree, etc... The other thing is if you want to have a nice dinner but not do the whole $15 hamburger at TGI Fridays in Times Square thing, when you're in Midtown just walk west toward 9th avenue and there are plenty of nice little cozy restaurants that will be a lot less crowded.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:22 PM

20,589 posts, read 25,392,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillsided2012 View Post
up 5th Ave to Rock Center would be fun and fill an afternoon/evening if you don't mind fighting crowds.
i would never go into those tourist places this time of year. its basically walls of people moving around, its hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey