Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 05:19 PM

46 posts, read 49,825 times

Advertisements

The boxes are getting unpacked & the wife wants to hit NYC, Time Square that sort of thing what is the easiest way into NYC, this time of year??? Plus what are some "must do" fun things while in the city for the kids?

Thanks for any help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 06:39 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,075,143 times
They're lighting the Christmas Tree at Rockefeller Center this Wednesday. If you're not there on that night, you can always go skating there or at Bryant Park (if the rink is open) I usually take the Academy bus or train to NYC out of New Brunswick.

DON'T eat at Guy Fieri's...sounds like a tourist dump according to the brutal NY Times review

Old 11-26-2012, 08:19 PM

78 posts, read 128,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
DON'T eat at Guy Fieri's...sounds like a tourist dump according to the brutal NY Times review
It's actually just fine, in a 500-seat Time's Square Hard Rock / Applebee's kind of way. And, they've even shaped up more since that (in some ways unfair) review came out.

That being said, for a first trip into the city there are plenty of better things you can do than eat at one of those places-- especially during holiday times. A walking tour through Times Square then over to Bryant Park and up 5th Ave to Rock Center would be fun and fill an afternoon/evening if you don't mind fighting crowds.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:23 PM

46 posts, read 49,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillsided2012 View Post
It's actually just fine, in a 500-seat Time's Square Hard Rock / Applebee's kind of way. And, they've even shaped up more since that (in some ways unfair) review came out.

That being said, for a first trip into the city there are plenty of better things you can do than eat at one of those places-- especially during holiday times. A walking tour through Times Square then over to Bryant Park and up 5th Ave to Rock Center would be fun and fill an afternoon/evening if you don't mind fighting crowds.
I know it is going to be crowded, but I do not think my wife has any idea of just how crowded. Thanks for the advice.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:29 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,045,739 times
Oh it will be crazy! Especially if you're going on the weekend. Try to go between rush hours if you can between 11ish and 6ish. You will need many trips to see a lot of things. ONe day at a time. Definitely for kids is the huge Toys R us in Times square.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:48 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,044,061 times
Easiest way into and out of NYC any time of year is NJ Transit. From "Central Jersey," which I read as Middlesex County, I'd recommend catching the train either in New Brunswick (parking is available at the Ferren Parking Deck which is located Route 27 from the train station). Two other train stations to consider on weekends are Metuchen and MetroPark, except maybe the weekend of Dec. 8 given the Army vs. Navy game in Philadelphia.

Now, the real questions to ask are how old are your children and will they mind walking long distances? If they do mind walking, will you mind paying for a cab, bus or subway to go from place to place? It's not that it is pricey per se, you just need to be aware of what you are going to be paying for those services.

Bottom line, take the time to map out where you want to go and what buses or subways you may need to take to get there.

As Raven mentioned, weekends are going to be crowded. As for things to do, Huey Lewis said it best, "Where else can you do half a million things all at a quarter to three?" Just few things that come mind for me, not in any order:

1) The Tree at Rockafeller Center,
2) Radio City Music Hall Christmas Spectatular,
3) The store fronts along Fifth Avenue,
4) FAO Schwartz,
5) Empire State Building,
6) The Freedom Tower and 9/11 Memorial,
7) Times Square,
8) Central Park for a Carriage Ride (PETA People, smooches!)
9) Battery Park, for great nighttime shots of the Verazano Narrows Bridge and Statue of Liberty,
10) Ice skating at Rockafeller Center.

Hope this gets you started.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:51 PM

78 posts, read 128,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSportsNut View Post
I know it is going to be crowded, but I do not think my wife has any idea of just how crowded.
If you go on the weekend, particularly later in the afternoon or evening, you will literally be rubbing shoulders with people the whole time anywhere on any part of the sidewalks around those touristy areas. Weekdays won't be MUCH better. It's still worth checking out at least once, just expect it to be slow going and bring lots of patience.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:20 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,347,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNYYfan View Post
Easiest way into and out of NYC any time of year is NJ Transit. From "Central Jersey," which I read as Middlesex County, I'd recommend catching the train either in New Brunswick (parking is available at the Ferren Parking Deck which is located Route 27 from the train station). Two other train stations to consider on weekends are Metuchen and MetroPark, except maybe the weekend of Dec. 8 given the Army vs. Navy game in Philadelphia.

Now, the real questions to ask are how old are your children and will they mind walking long distances? If they do mind walking, will you mind paying for a cab, bus or subway to go from place to place? It's not that it is pricey per se, you just need to be aware of what you are going to be paying for those services.

Bottom line, take the time to map out where you want to go and what buses or subways you may need to take to get there.

As Raven mentioned, weekends are going to be crowded. As for things to do, Huey Lewis said it best, "Where else can you do half a million things all at a quarter to three?" Just few things that come mind for me, not in any order:

1) The Tree at Rockafeller Center,
2) Radio City Music Hall Christmas Spectatular,
3) The store fronts along Fifth Avenue,
4) FAO Schwartz,
5) Empire State Building,
6) The Freedom Tower and 9/11 Memorial,
7) Times Square,
8) Central Park for a Carriage Ride (PETA People, smooches!)
9) Battery Park, for great nighttime shots of the Verazano Narrows Bridge and Statue of Liberty,
10) Ice skating at Rockafeller Center.

Hope this gets you started.
#4 is FAO Schwarz. There's no T.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:18 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,110,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNYYfan View Post
Easiest way into and out of NYC any time of year is NJ Transit.
Another reasonable option would be to drive in through the Lincoln Tunnel, right into the big parking garage on 42nd St. Usually not much traffic on the weekends, except maybe Fri/Sat evening. Cost comes out to about the same as NJT for a family of 4.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:32 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
Another reasonable option would be to drive in through the Lincoln Tunnel, right into the big parking garage on 42nd St. Usually not much traffic on the weekends, except maybe Fri/Sat evening. Cost comes out to about the same as NJT for a family of 4.
Yup, this, or the train to penn are the easiest.

And if you have girls, they will love stopping at American Girl Place, which is clsoe to Rockefeller Center and Radio City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey