Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 09:21 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times

Advertisements

NJ.com: Everything Jersey

A very good article in today's Star Ledger that chronicles people much like myself, who 'voted with their feet', not because they were really enthusiatic about it, or disliked NJ per se, but rather because high taxes gave them no alternative. "The population outflow is real, is approaching worrisome dimensions, and is exerting a small but increasingly negative impact on the New Jersey economy."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 09:41 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
While the economists said they are certain the exodus is growing, they are less sure of why. Possible reasons include high housing costs and the state's generally high cost of living. Society in general also is increasingly mobile, they said.

They can't be serious with that comment!!! Most people leave because they can not afford to live here any longer

Old 10-10-2007, 10:16 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,592,213 times
>While the economists said they are certain the exodus is growing, they are less sure of why. Possible reasons include high housing costs and the state's generally high cost of living.<

LOL. wow it takes a think tank full of 250k a year economists to figure that one out!?!?

On the radio they mentioned a 3 billion dollar deficit even though the NJ economy is relatively healthy on top of high tax rates. I would love to see how much of the spending "disappears" into various back pockets.

I went to Cincinnati on business last week. There was a home for sale with a big "buy me for 109K" sign attached to the regular realtor sign. NOTHING special about this house. This was a 400K home in say Denville in Morris Co. It made me wanna cry cause it looks like Im a permanent renter yet I make well over the median income in the US.

That being said. I have a real job with health insurance.

employed uber alles

Old 10-10-2007, 10:27 AM

311 posts, read 1,376,864 times
I heard something on the radio about 200,000 people leaving last year. It's not surprising. People are going to areas where the cost of living is lower.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:42 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
Default Leaving too!

I was born and have lived in NJ my entire life, but will be leaving in the spring. We're tired of the political corruption, congestion, high property tax and COL in NJ.
The state is billions of dollars in debt yet they continue to pay $2B a year for state medical coverage, >$40B for state pensions and borrow money so they can pay for them.
Only 20% of corporations in the US provide workers with a pension, yet NJ provides teachers who have 25+ years service free retiree medical benefits for their families.
The tax rebate this year was a joke. They raised our taxes, and "gave" us a tax rebate. The NJ government's answer to everything is raise the cigarette tax.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:48 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,626,350 times
Ellwood, The goverments answer to lower taxes, everyone buy 10 cartons of cigarettes and the tax mess will be over.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:50 AM

84 posts, read 379,237 times
my only comment is....... I'm one of the people who left and so far, best decision i could've made. I only went to PA, my next move will be further.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Ellwood, The goverments answer to lower taxes, everyone buy 10 cartons of cigarettes and the tax mess will be over.
The big joke is everyone I know who smokes haven't bought cigarettes in NJ in years. Other friends have quit, so when all the people stop smoking, whose going to pay their bills? They'll probably put a luxury tax on toilet paper.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:08 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
The big joke is everyone I know who smokes haven't bought cigarettes in NJ in years. Other friends have quit, so when all the people stop smoking, whose going to pay their bills? They'll probably put a luxury tax on toilet paper.
But then people will just mail-order their "teepee" from the indian reservations just like the cigarettes. Get it? "teepee"? "TP"? Indian reservation? I just crack myself up sometimes............

Bob

Old 10-10-2007, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
But then people will just mail-order their "teepee" from the indian reservations just like the cigarettes. Get it? "teepee"? "TP"? Indian reservation? I just crack myself up sometimes............

Bob
Funny...some friends have gotten bills from State of NJ who ordered from the Indians...one for $2800!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey