Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is NJ one of the worst run states?
Yes 22 50.00%
No 22 50.00%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 03:19 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,633,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i have 2 kids, not in school yet. keep in mind though, 1 year in my town i had no kids, and paid school taxes. and it'll be 4 years before the kids are in school. i see what you're saying, but i'm not really sucking out substantially more than i put in, in aggregate.

and to make up for it, my neighbors produce about 5x the amount of trash i do.
I was thinking the same thing. I have 2 kids, I paid property taxes for 12 YEARS before my kids entered school and in 3 years when they are out, I'll continue to pay taxes to educate other children. Does it even out? Maybe. Maybe not. But it's a good investment.

I got such a kick out some Board Member of our Regional HS district who wanted to kick my town out because we're apparently parasites. Turns out this dude has SIX KIDS who went through the system. Really man?! What balls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 06:37 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,580,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
well no i meant the article sounds bitter, esp the title
but u are prolly bitter too cuz u keep hating for bs reasons
you have to understand that im an adult. i have adult opinions. i dont really hate anybody and dont blame people for trying to get as much as they can (even if its more than i think they should receive). in this case, i just feel public sector workers should not have better compensation than private sector workers and from what i have seen, they have a much better deal.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:08 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,624,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
you have to understand that im an adult. i have adult opinions. i dont really hate anybody and dont blame people for trying to get as much as they can (even if its more than i think they should receive). in this case, i just feel public sector workers should not have better compensation than private sector workers and from what i have seen, they have a much better deal.
ok so work for the public sector then, be on the winning team (according to you)
welfare, govt work, minorities and rap are all part of your whole judgemental mental
its kinda strange that u married a rican, she must look jewish or someth

Old 12-01-2012, 08:57 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,621,062 times
Captain I am sure there are public sector jobs that pay more than the equivalent private sector job but there are also public sector jobs that pay less than the equivalent private sector job. That compensation issue should be fixed but it can not be done with a simple "cut pay for all public sector jobs" philosophy.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
ok so work for the public sector then, be on the winning team (according to you)
welfare, govt work, minorities and rap are all part of your whole judgemental mental
its kinda strange that u married a rican, she must look jewish or someth

im one of those evil people who win in the private sector. but most of my employees are the ones losing compared to public sector. i cant really compete with the government when one of them gets an offer. i can compete with other companies like mine in the private sector.

you think at a very simple level thats why you want to pin me as anti-minority/welfare/government work. i am very anti-rap so ill leave that. government work is necessary, ive just said that i think compensation should be no better than private sector. welfare is fine for people who are legitimately handicapped and cant work. my wife is puerto rican but you really cant understand that not all minorities think exactly the same. there are minorities that speak proper english and have conservative politics.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
Captain I am sure there are public sector jobs that pay more than the equivalent private sector job but there are also public sector jobs that pay less than the equivalent private sector job. That compensation issue should be fixed but it can not be done with a simple "cut pay for all public sector jobs" philosophy.
i agree. id just like to see it all equal out. i do think pensions should be eliminated because they become promises that are too generous made by corrupt politicians. then they go unfunded because the money isnt there, then the taxpayer is expected to get nailed with the liability. the taxpayer isnt properly represented at the negotiating table because public unions have a lot of power and they control politicians. its not true good faith bargaining. my employees have a union, i see how it works. but its better than the public sector because we can only negotiate with money we have.

no compensation should be promised for the future. everyone should be funded in todays dollars.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:53 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,621,062 times
I agree with that last line. Do you know that the teachers pension only needed a 4% employer contribution. If that was made we would not be having this discussion. Miss a 4% payment for 20+ straight years and it becomes a problem.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:27 AM

2,664 posts, read 5,624,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im one of those evil people who win in the private sector. but most of my employees are the ones losing compared to public sector. i cant really compete with the government when one of them gets an offer. i can compete with other companies like mine in the private sector.

you think at a very simple level thats why you want to pin me as anti-minority/welfare/government work. i am very anti-rap so ill leave that. government work is necessary, ive just said that i think compensation should be no better than private sector. welfare is fine for people who are legitimately handicapped and cant work. my wife is puerto rican but you really cant understand that not all minorities think exactly the same. there are minorities that speak proper english and have conservative politics.
yea, they are called uncle toms

Old 12-01-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
yea, they are called uncle toms
who is uncle tom?

Old 12-01-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
I agree with that last line. Do you know that the teachers pension only needed a 4% employer contribution. If that was made we would not be having this discussion. Miss a 4% payment for 20+ straight years and it becomes a problem.
its unfortunate that promises were made that cant be kept without screwing over today's taxpayers. but i am not willing to pay for the promises that never should have been made to begin with. pension obligations are going to have to be cut severely at some point. the sooner action is taken, the less pain there should be. but just like our national debt, local debt, entitlements, etc. no action will be taken until there is absolutely no choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey