U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you rate New Jersey roads overall?
A - Excellent 2 4.35%
B - Good 13 28.26%
C - OK 19 41.30%
D - Poor 7 15.22%
F - Terrible 5 10.87%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 06:55 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,096,335 times

Advertisements

How would you rate NJ roads in general, including local, residential, and highways?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 07:00 PM

I would give it a B for most of the state. I do like the reflectors they put on highways, I love the design of the state traffic signals. Some roads have potholes and need new pavement and paint, but others are great or good.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:30 PM

2,665 posts, read 4,370,488 times
f

Old 11-28-2012, 08:29 PM

8,813 posts, read 12,300,039 times
I voted for good: I lived a long time in Pennsylvania (which would definitely get a D), so I know NJ could do much worse. I've driven in Costa Rica... now that's terrible (though better than average by third world standards!)

Old 11-28-2012, 08:55 PM

3,822 posts, read 8,148,191 times
Depends how close you are to NYC from my experience. I used to work in Elizabeth and it has some of the worst pot holes I have ever seen.

Other then that and the pure volume near the city, I don't have too many issues at all. The roads local to where I live are completely adequate, and I find the highways to be in generally good condition

Old 11-28-2012, 09:17 PM

127 posts, read 226,550 times
Half of Clifton is a death trap. There are too many two way stop sign intersections. The problem is that people park their cars on the street right at the intersection and you can't see the oncoming traffic from the left if you're stopped until you're halfway out into the road. I'm sure it worked just fine 30-40 years ago when there wasn't much traffic or people parking on the street, but times have changed.

Also, the 5 way intersection where Elm St. merges with Clifton Blvd. right next to the train station is a disaster. One side has a stop sign but one of the other sides across from it does not. So if you're waiting at the stop sign to make a left turn, you might assume that the oncoming car coming from the other side going straight is going to stop when in fact they are not. I am usually the car going straight.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:55 PM

198 posts, read 335,875 times
There are several obvious factors at play:

1.) Snow/Ice. Places where it never freezes will pretty much always have better roads without severe negligence.
2.) Population. More cars and trucks is more wear and tear on roads.
3.) City Planning. Older areas are constricted in terms of development, much of which was done piecemeal.

I would say NJ has decent roads, about a B or so on traditional grading, given its conditions. Florida has some of the best highways I've seen. Lots of reflectors, spaced out ramps, clear signage. Unsurprisingly, Florida hits pretty much all of the obvious advantages: It doesn't freeze, and it was developed later with more road planning.

I really wish they'd use more of the reflective road paint for lanes, especially on two lane roads in NJ. At night, when trucks/SUVs hit my eyes with those ridiculous Xenon bulbs I go practically blind for a few seconds.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrnTmr4Brkfst View Post
There are several obvious factors at play:

1.) Snow/Ice. Places where it never freezes will pretty much always have better roads without severe negligence.
2.) Population. More cars and trucks is more wear and tear on roads.
3.) City Planning. Older areas are constricted in terms of development, much of which was done piecemeal.

I would say NJ has decent roads, about a B or so on traditional grading, given its conditions. Florida has some of the best highways I've seen. Lots of reflectors, spaced out ramps, clear signage. Unsurprisingly, Florida hits pretty much all of the obvious advantages: It doesn't freeze, and it was developed later with more road planning.

I really wish they'd use more of the reflective road paint for lanes, especially on two lane roads in NJ. At night, when trucks/SUVs hit my eyes with those ridiculous Xenon bulbs I go practically blind for a few seconds.
South Florida has excellent highways and local roads. However I do not like their white pavement which makes it very bright during daylight in the sunshine. I like darker asphalt, and the paint makes it more clear and brighter.

NJ roads and highways and better than downstate NY such as Rockland County. I get annoyed when driving to NY State because of their traffic signals, lack of street lights, no reflectors.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:42 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,235,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
South Florida has excellent highways and local roads. However I do not like their white pavement which makes it very bright during daylight in the sunshine. I like darker asphalt, and the paint makes it more clear and brighter.
Pavement colors are because of the materials used in the construction. What's prevalent/readily available down there in terms of stone/materials, is different from up here.

Asphalt also has issues with becoming soft and heavy loads (especially parked for a few hours) being literally able to deform the road/sink into the road. Lighter pavement means it gets less hot and that's less of an issue.

Also, many interstates and such in Southern regions are done in concrete, as it's is better in almost every respect for heavy use.....except for one major problem. Concrete cracks/shifts/falls apart when it frost heaves, while asphalt doesn't, as you'll see if you drive I-88 in NY State.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:16 AM

11,973 posts, read 13,982,981 times
When it comes to county-maintained roads, there is frequently a considerable variation from one county to another.
For instance, when driving in the Colonia/Rahway area, it is easy to tell when you transition from Middlesex County to Union County, simply because the pavement is better in Union County.

The difference between Somerset County and Middlesex County is even more dramatic. While most of the county-maintained roads in Somerset County are repaved every 4 years or so, the roads in Middlesex County typically go a decade or more before repaving. What might qualify as a bad road in Somerset County is comparable to one of the better roads in Middlesex County.

Last edited by Retriever; 11-29-2012 at 07:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey