U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 01:15 PM

12,540 posts, read 16,250,745 times

Advertisements

sorry badfish, i just haven't seen a lot of places near me that have real trees other than big box stores and was just trying to be helpful.

rob - where i get my trees if i choose one that's cut, it was cut in the past day or two. they give you a "fresh cut" on the trunk, and as long as you have it in water within about 8-12 hours, you're good.

I've had my tree up from around thanksgiving/week after through february. granted, the last week or two is usually questionable and i might not light it as much. But the point is, they last a long time if fresh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 01:29 PM

3,858 posts, read 7,415,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
sorry badfish, i just haven't seen a lot of places near me that have real trees other than big box stores and was just trying to be helpful.
No need to apologize. You're a hop, skip, and a jump from Morris County though-check out the link I posted above and see how many farms there out that way

Old 12-02-2012, 09:33 AM

5,047 posts, read 10,846,783 times
Options range from many of the places that pop open after Thanksgiving in parking lots all over NJ. This year I've seen prices of about $25 posted just driving by. large supermarket or shopping mall parking lots and other seasonally available places.
I've bought trees at garden centers and places like Home depot also.
Decades ago we used to go to the Randolph firehouse on Rt 10 West, back then they where $8 but I would expect that more like $20 by now just guessing.
Also we used to take I-80 then go over a bridge to Portland PA where they have many Christmas Tree farms where you cut it yourself many times. There are signs when you get into PA or you can search it online.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:05 AM

1,977 posts, read 6,220,217 times
My time crunch was even worse than expected this weekend and the kids were whining so I ended up stopping at a tree lot on the highway. I was bummed that my plans were ruined but they actually had a blast digging through the piles of trees and arguing over which was the best one and why we HAD to get a "soft" one. Finally they played rock paper scissors and wrestled each other in the pile of cut aways and the 5yr old got the 11yr old in a submission hold so he got final say. We ended up with a pretty nice tree actually. Very full 7' Fraser Fir netted and loaded on the car for $30+$10 tip. My GF even got them to stop hitting each other long enough to sing Christmas songs on the way home.

WE ended up having a blast together (That's what its all about right?) but the guys at the lot were happy to see us leave im sure.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:26 PM

271 posts, read 750,654 times
Home Depot.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:26 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,355,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
So, I've never had a real Xmas tree. How much would a 6-8 ft tall one go for and where do I get one?

Here is a great resource for finding a fresh cut, or cut your own tree. New Jersey Christmas Tree Growers Association You might also want to consider purchasing a live tree w/rootball this year. The ground is not frozen yet, so you can dig a hole for planting the tree in Jan. (dig hole, put tarp or burlap to cover hold, push dirt back into hole over tarp/burlap until ready to plant tree after the holiday.) This way you get a beautiful live tree that you can enjoy for years!

Happy Holidays!

KoalaNJ

Old 12-04-2012, 09:30 AM

43,285 posts, read 42,853,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post

rob - where i get my trees if i choose one that's cut, it was cut in the past day or two. they give you a "fresh cut" on the trunk, and as long as you have it in water within about 8-12 hours, you're good.

I've had my tree up from around thanksgiving/week after through february. granted, the last week or two is usually questionable and i might not light it as much. But the point is, they last a long time if fresh.
I wasn't sure if they OP was asking for a real Christmas tree "as opposed to a fake tree" or a tree that you cut down yourself.

If it's the first--yeah, it's pretty obvious. You can't swing a cat right now without hitting a place that's selling pre-cut Christmas trees.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:32 AM

43,285 posts, read 42,853,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
Here is a great resource for finding a fresh cut, or cut your own tree. New Jersey Christmas Tree Growers Association You might also want to consider purchasing a live tree w/rootball this year. The ground is not frozen yet, so you can dig a hole for planting the tree in Jan. (dig hole, put tarp or burlap to cover hold, push dirt back into hole over tarp/burlap until ready to plant tree after the holiday.) This way you get a beautiful live tree that you can enjoy for years!

Happy Holidays!

KoalaNJ
I live in a condo so I wouldn't be able to plant one, but I did wonder if it was possible to buy such a tree and then donate it somewhere? Is there someplace that would want a free live tree?

I didn't have a tree at all last year because no one was going to be at my house (my only child was in Asia for Christmas last year), but I think I will get one this year. I still cannot bring myself to buy a fake tree, though.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:50 AM

4,074 posts, read 6,306,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post

Happy Holidays!

KoalaNJ

Doing the live tree and replanting sounds good.....

But be aware that the root ball can easily add 100 pounds so transporting and moving it around the house can be very challenging.

Also, even a live tree shouldn't be kept indoors for a long time.

And yes, better get that whole dug NOW and have some mulch put aside for when you plant it.

I haven't seen stats, but I had heard that far less than 50% of these trees end up surviving.

Christmas tree farms are just like other farms, except their 'crops' have to grow over multiple years. It's not like you're cutting down trees in a forest that won't be replaced.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:39 AM

11,648 posts, read 13,482,840 times
In Somerset, there are at least 4 tree farms currently selling xmas trees that are still in the ground.
Some even allow you to tag a choice tree now, and come back to cut it closer to the end of the month, thus allowing you to reserve a primo tree before they are all gone.

Just get off of Rt. 27 south of Veronica Avenue, and you will start seeing signs for tree farms.
There is one on Bennett's Lane, one on South Middlebush Road, another on Canal Road, one on Skillman's Lane, and at least one more whose location escapes me at the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey