U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 08:36 PM

1,977 posts, read 6,218,433 times

Advertisements

So, I've never had a real Xmas tree. How much would a 6-8 ft tall one go for and where do I get one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 08:44 PM

12,540 posts, read 16,243,661 times
i paid $45 for a 6-7 ft one in northeast pa and brought it back when i was home for thanksgiving. the big box stores have them, as does costco. i know there are tree farms, but i havent found them close to me.

good luck!

Old 11-28-2012, 09:22 PM

1,977 posts, read 6,218,433 times
I've heard they only last 2-3 weeks? What are your experiences?

Brady there are tons of places listed here.
http://www.pickyourownchristmastree.org/NJxmastrees.php

I'm just on a limited time schedule this weekend so I wanted to hear others experiences and suggestions before just randomly stumbling into some hack place.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:29 PM

2,689 posts, read 8,822,220 times
Where in NJ?

They are sold in garden centers, open lots, etc and yes, 2 weeks is about right (under the right conditions). Depending on the type, they could cost around $30-60+.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:24 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,062,352 times
Whole foods sells real Christmas trees...

Old 11-28-2012, 11:01 PM

5,886 posts, read 14,261,442 times
If you buy one on a parking lot, yeah it'll last 2-3 weeks, because it was chopped down a week ago in North Carolina, wrapped up and thrown in a truck, and dragged up to NJ without water. If you buy one of these trees, saw off the bottom 1-2 inches of the trunk before you put it in your stand. A fresh cut will let the tree "drink" the water more easily. If you go to a farm and cut down your own and put it in water right away (and keep watering it), it'll last 5 weeks or more and it'll drop fewer needles on your floor. I usually get my live tree the first weekend in December and throw it out the first weekend in January, and it's still green and fresh. If you get one from Shop Rite, I'd wait another week or so for a fresh shipment of trees if you want it to have green needles on it Christmas day.

Cut-your-own farms vary in terms of varieties of trees offered, quality of those trees, and price. Some charge a flat price for any tree large or small in their field. Others charge by the foot. Others charge by the species since some species require more maintenance than others. There are dozens of tree farms in NJ, so with some research you can find something that fits any budget. Most farms have hot cocoa and/or cider. Some are rustic/quiet and others have hay rides, decoration shops, and Santa Claus. If you have kids (or not), it's a fun weekend activity that can make the schlep to western NJ worthwhile.

Going to a tree farm has been a tradition since I was a kid. It just doesn't feel right if I'm not throwing on some dirty boots, going out into the cold and cutting down my own tree. I also like that you see the trees' shape/size/fullness in the field. In a tree lot, you only know you're getting a 6' fraser fir. They're wrapped up and standing in a pile of fallen needles, so you may have no idea what the tree really looks like til you get it home and cut it open.

Tree Lot:
http://www.svef.net/wp-content/uploa...stmas-tree.jpg
http://www.kathyshorenursery.com/p-shipping-004.jpg

Tree Farm:
http://www.stjay.com/resourcefiles/m...ee-pkg-top.jpg
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_md...mr0o1_1280.jpg
http://cbssanfran.files.wordpress.co...-tree-farm.jpg
christmas tree farm | Tumblr

Old 11-29-2012, 06:18 AM

12,284 posts, read 29,206,377 times
St. Paul's Abbey - Rt 206 N Newton

Old 11-29-2012, 07:42 AM

666 posts, read 1,326,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
If you buy one on a parking lot, yeah it'll last 2-3 weeks, because it was chopped down a week ago in North Carolina, wrapped up and thrown in a truck, and dragged up to NJ without water. If you buy one of these trees, saw off the bottom 1-2 inches of the trunk before you put it in your stand. A fresh cut will let the tree "drink" the water more easily. If you go to a farm and cut down your own and put it in water right away (and keep watering it), it'll last 5 weeks or more and it'll drop fewer needles on your floor. I usually get my live tree the first weekend in December and throw it out the first weekend in January, and it's still green and fresh. If you get one from Shop Rite, I'd wait another week or so for a fresh shipment of trees if you want it to have green needles on it Christmas day.

Cut-your-own farms vary in terms of varieties of trees offered, quality of those trees, and price. Some charge a flat price for any tree large or small in their field. Others charge by the foot. Others charge by the species since some species require more maintenance than others. There are dozens of tree farms in NJ, so with some research you can find something that fits any budget. Most farms have hot cocoa and/or cider. Some are rustic/quiet and others have hay rides, decoration shops, and Santa Claus. If you have kids (or not), it's a fun weekend activity that can make the schlep to western NJ worthwhile.

Going to a tree farm has been a tradition since I was a kid. It just doesn't feel right if I'm not throwing on some dirty boots, going out into the cold and cutting down my own tree. I also like that you see the trees' shape/size/fullness in the field. In a tree lot, you only know you're getting a 6' fraser fir. They're wrapped up and standing in a pile of fallen needles, so you may have no idea what the tree really looks like til you get it home and cut it open.

Tree Lot:
http://www.svef.net/wp-content/uploa...stmas-tree.jpg
http://www.kathyshorenursery.com/p-shipping-004.jpg

Tree Farm:
http://www.stjay.com/resourcefiles/m...ee-pkg-top.jpg
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_md...mr0o1_1280.jpg
http://cbssanfran.files.wordpress.co...-tree-farm.jpg
christmas tree farm | Tumblr

great info.

two questions. For your standard 6-8' tree do I need to bring my own saw or do they supply you with tools? What type/size of saw is best? And do they help you mount it and strap it at these farms? Any link to a tree farm in the bergen county area?

Old 11-29-2012, 08:07 AM

5,886 posts, read 14,261,442 times
I have a 21" bow saw that I use. Most farms have saws you can borrow. Most prohibit the use of chainsaws. With the bow saw I usually have my 6' tree down in 5 minutes.

Every farm has a few family members or neighborhood teenagers on hand to help you wrap it and/or carry it to your car (some farms have plastic sleds you can put the tree on and drag it). The kids appreciate a small tip for the work. I can get the tree into the hatchback with the back seats down, so I don't tie it to the roof. I seem to recall one farm wouldn't help you tie it to the roof for liability reason, but can't remember for sure.

List of farms:
Christmas Tree Farms: Where in New Jersey to find choose-and-cut Christmas trees, Tree lots with pre-cut trees, stands, sleigh rides, hay rides and related winter events and fun!

Map of farms: Note the three dots in Bergen Co. are "Northern Border Tree Farms" which is a distributor of trees, not a farm. Looks like you have to go to Morris, Passaic, Sussex, Warren counties.
Christmas Tree Farms in New Jersey

Old 11-29-2012, 08:17 AM

3,858 posts, read 7,412,904 times
Whole Foods!? Big Box stores!? C'mon people!!! At least Tahiti has the right idea We got our tree from St. Paul's two years ago and it was a pretty nice tree-cheap by local standards too, but it was tough to find a good one. I don't think they trim very regularly so some of them were more like bushes than trees. Seriously though, there are Christmas tree farms in practically every county (Hudson is probably the one exception) in the state!

New Jersey Christmas Tree Growers Association

I've never bought a pre-cut tree and never will-cutting the tree is a family tradition that my grandparents did with my parents, my parents did with me, and now we'll be doing with our daughter. Most farms have saws you can use, or will send a worker out with you to cut the one you want. Then the tree is netted (makes it easier to handle) so that it can be tied to the roof, etc...and most places will have twine available and are willing to help if you need it. The saw in the link below is typical of what you'll find at most tree farms:

Amazon.com: Fiskars 7031 30-Inch Bow Saw: Patio, Lawn & Garden

I have a saw similar to this one but it's an old one that my dad picked up at a farm auction years ago:

Buy Lynx 3' One Man Crosscut Saw at Woodcraft.com

It seems like overkill, but we usually get larger trees (9-10') because we have cathedral ceilings in the family room. Trees that tall tend to be 6' or wider at the base so getting to the trunk usually involves crawling deep under the tree if you have a small bow saw. Not fun if it just rained or snowed-the two man saw allows two people to kneel on either side of the tree and make quick work of it without having to get covered in mud and sap. It makes a nice wall hanger in the off season too

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I have a 21" bow saw that I use. Most farms have saws you can borrow. Most prohibit the use of chainsaws.
LOL...When we first moved to Hunterdon County (before I got the two man saw) I just brought my little Echo 40cc limbing saw-no one said anything to me as I carried it in so we found a tree, lopped it off, and set out to pay. I had two folks ask me on the way out if I would cut their trees for them which I did-a third person asked and I was setting the saw on the ground to start it one of the workers finally came up to me and told me that chainsaws weren't allowed. That third guy was ticked!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey