Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2012, 06:24 PM

3 posts, read 9,362 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have a loved one interred at Restland Memorial Park in East Hanover?

I noticed yesterday that someone had stolen the bronze grave vase from my father's headstone. Apparently, people troll cemeteries and steal grave vases for the scrap metal.

I searched for info on the Restland Memorial thefts, and the only info I could find was a small blurb from this 2010 article:

Police investigate stolen vases from cemeteriesin East Hanover Township - New Jersey Hills Newspaper: Hanover Eagle News

(Gate of Heaven Cemetery right next door was also affected.)

There is also this more recent Patch article:

Decapitated Chicken, Theft Probed at Cemeteries - East Hanover-Florham Park, NJ Patch

This article is dated September 26, 2012 and says that three grave vases were reported stolen on September 11. Today, after I had visited my father's grave, I walked around some and counted 27 grave vases missing. TWENTY SEVEN! These jackholes are stealing even from the graves of veterans and little infants. The ones I saw missing were in the Garden View, Laburnum, Pine and Woodside sections of the cemetery. These sections are all towards the back in the northern half of the cemetery. There are probably more missing in the southern half.

If you Google "grave vase theft", you'll see that this is happening all over the country. In one case in Milwaukee, some scumbag, his girlfriend and mother stole hundreds of grave vases from a cemetery using a baby stroller. They reportedly could get $20 for 10 vases.

These vases cost $400 to $450 to replace! Or, you can spend about $125 to get some kind of cover for the vase hole (in case you don't want to replace the vase because who's to say it won't get stolen again?).

Restland says I can try to file a claim with my homeowner's insurance because the gravestone and the vase count as my property...I don't know about that. I'm not holding my breath. Anyone know anything about this? When I filed a theft report with the East Hanover police, I asked them about this and they, too, seemed skeptical.

In any case, if you have a loved one buried at Restland Memorial, Gate of Heaven, Hanover Cemetery (or any other cemetery for that matter), and haven't been there in a while, you might want to go and see if everything is in order at the grave (and if the grave has been burglarized, file a report with the police). My father's grave vase was stolen sometime between June and yesterday.

And of course, if anyone has any info (or tips or theories) regarding these thefts, please share.

If scrap metal and/or bronze dealers notice some creeps bringing in a bunch of grave vases, I would hope that they'd notify the police. But I'm not holding my breath on that either. I just hope that karma eventually catches up to them.

Last edited by oh796ohres; 11-30-2012 at 06:44 PM.. Reason: (I don't know why the links look like that. Sorry.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 07:05 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Sadly, this has been going on for years. Just last week, the church a block away from mom's house was vandalized and all of the copper pipes stolen.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:33 PM

Oh wow, I didn't know this was even a thing. I guess I've been living in my own naive little world. And that is awful about the church. Nothing is sacred. I'd like to think that people are basically good, especially at this time of year, but when stuff like that happens it makes me even more cynical. Oh well.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:13 PM

4,286 posts, read 10,766,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh796ohres View Post
Oh wow, I didn't know this was even a thing. I guess I've been living in my own naive little world. And that is awful about the church. Nothing is sacred. I'd like to think that people are basically good, especially at this time of year, but when stuff like that happens it makes me even more cynical. Oh well.
This is one of my pet peeves. These copper scrappers.

They will get like $85 in scrap metal, but cause thousands of dollars in repairs to be necessary. And then they rob graveyards? Come on.

They just seem like the lowest of the low.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
This is one of my pet peeves. These copper scrappers.

They will get like $85 in scrap metal, but cause thousands of dollars in repairs to be necessary. And then they rob graveyards? Come on.

They just seem like the lowest of the low.
The lowest of the low is right.

Same goes for the scrap dealers who buy from these thieves. Apparently, they are required to alert the police if anyone brings in anything from a graveyard, but of course they don't all do the right thing.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:00 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,934,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Sadly, this has been going on for years. Just last week, the church a block away from mom's house was vandalized and all of the copper pipes stolen.
The treasurer of my church stole $75,000 of church funds and got away with it. But a large, black cloud has floated above the heads of the treasurer's family ever since. Just a few weeks ago, a member of that family committed suicide. Quite a few members of that family have died unexpectedly, at a fairly young age. Even extended family members. Pretty scary. I don't like associating with them, even the innocent ones. I don't want any of that bad luck rubbing off on me.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:17 AM

19,122 posts, read 25,323,648 times
In Mercer County, police have arrested someone who may have been responsible for the thefts from that cemetery in East Hanover. Then again, given the distance involved from the place of his arrest to East Hanover, it is possible that different perps were involved.

But, at least this arrest may serve as a deterrent to those who would steal from the dead.

Hamilton man accused of stealing bronze vases from gravesites, police say | NJ.com

Old 12-04-2012, 05:53 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
It happens everywhere, unfortunately- it happened at the cemetary my MIL is in out in Las Vegas. Many cemetaries have started using plastic holders, since they're not worth anything, and most folks would never notice the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey