U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 08:17 AM

4,074 posts, read 6,303,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I've lived in both and greatly prefer NNJ. I prefer the topography, the NYC media market and overall vibe more. I prefer the shore area over the Delaware Valley in South Jersey.

Overall my ranking is:

NWNJ
NENJ
SENJ
SWNJ

(central NJ fits into the above categories)

Of course I'd choose to live in Moorestown over Elizabeth but hopefully that's obvious. I'm talking in generalities. It wouldn't be a death sentence to live in any area of the state though.
You used the key words: "I prefer..." since it completely depends on personal preference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 08:19 AM

7,263 posts, read 8,448,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Depends on your definition of fast paced...
Please tell me yours.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:33 AM

12,284 posts, read 29,206,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
You used the key words: "I prefer..." since it completely depends on personal preference.
exactly. there's no right answer.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:03 PM

1,952 posts, read 2,872,229 times
Honest question, is the more hilly nature of NNJ the reason that there's so much flooding up there? I get that SJ is way too flat but if flooding is an issue in hilly areas I would definitely play it safe.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:11 PM

7,263 posts, read 8,448,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
Honest question, is the more hilly nature of NNJ the reason that there's so much flooding up there? I get that SJ is way too flat but if flooding is an issue in hilly areas I would definitely play it safe.
It's probably more than just that. As far as I know, South Jersey has more flooding problems than Southeastern Pennsylvania.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:19 PM

4,074 posts, read 6,303,094 times
Quote:

This is why:
File:Passaicwatershedmap.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All that water from higher elevations winds through NNJ on its way to ocean. For SJ, the Delaware river has taken that flow of water already.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:43 PM

12,284 posts, read 29,206,377 times
Quote:
I'm not sure "so much flooding" is really an accurate term. Flooding is mostly in certain specific areas. In my area last year, Lee really did a number on us, but it was one of those 100 year events. My town has the Musconetcong going through it and it will crest occasionally. Oddly enough, Sandy was not a rain issue (we've had more rain in a little storm than Sandy produced) for us, but a wind issue.

Anyway, Halffull as usual provided excellent information.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:56 PM

3,858 posts, read 7,412,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I'm not sure "so much flooding" is really an accurate term. Flooding is mostly in certain specific areas. In my area last year, Lee really did a number on us, but it was one of those 100 year events. My town has the Musconetcong going through it and it will crest occasionally. Oddly enough, Sandy was not a rain issue (we've had more rain in a little storm than Sandy produced) for us, but a wind issue.
Flooding is very easy to predict in the hilly NW-if you live next to a stream or river in the bottom of a valley (ie: the Musconetcong, the South Branch of the Raritan, etc...), it can get dicey if we have multiple inches of rain in a day. For example, the SB of the Raritan overflowed it's banks during Irene, but the damage was localized to the small number of homes next to the river. Contrast that to a place like Bound Brook or Manville where whole sections of town will flood.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:43 PM

2,100 posts, read 2,479,097 times
Fast pace kills. Go south. The NYC scene is toxic.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:48 PM

2,632 posts, read 2,894,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Depends what you want. If you want the fast pace of life near New York, and you like sophistication and smart people and cultural offerings, and are prepared to deal with the competition for time and space, northern NJ is the best place to live on the planet. If you want a laid back atmosphere and are sick of the rat race, you might want to move South. It also depends where you are on your timeline. If you are young and strong and less than 40, northern NJ has more to offer. If you are middle aged or older and the energy is waning, and the income potential is winding down, and you no longer like to compete, it may be time to pack up the tents and head for South Jersey.
Marc,
You do realize that professional earning peak from the 40's through mid 50s'. By the sound of your description, people over 40 should be making funeral preparations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey