U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2007, 04:24 PM

47 posts, read 138,064 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone! We may soon be relocating from Raleigh, NC where we have been since 1990 to your area....My husband's new job would be somewhere near Paramus. We have to children ages 7 and 3, so schools are a priority. I would also like a town with some charm and with a walkable downtown area. I have gathered from previous posts that I chould look at Ridgewood, Allendale, Wyckoff maybe Short Hills?

We are not McMansion people and would really like a non pretentious town with character, charm and good schools. We visited Rye and fell in love with it....Is it a horrendous commute to Paramus from Rye? Also could you recommend other towns that I may have overlooked.

Thanks so much for your help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 04:32 PM

964 posts, read 2,561,771 times
Check out Englewood. The newer homes can be McMansions, but there are older, classic, very stylish homes -- and they can be very expensive. Englewood also has an excellent downtown area.

What did Allendale turn up? That's one that I would recommend. The downtown area might start to knock out some great towns. Montebello, NY and Mahwah, NJ were two that I would have suggested you look at, and while both have shopping galore, they don't have the actual downtown, storefront, etc. area (like Ridgewood has).

Westwood might be a town you'd want to look at. Very nice downtown area, and many different enclaves of homes -- new, old, etc. Montvale is a very nice town -- where you can also get "land" (somewhat rare in Northern NJ). The downtown area might not be "walkable" so to speak (but between Montvale and Park Ridge, there is plenty of shopping, shops, etc.).

Good luck.

Old 10-14-2007, 04:36 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,340,870 times
Short Hills wouldn't be the best commute. It's part of Millburn, which has a downtown area, but imo, not as nice as Ridgewood.

Old 10-14-2007, 04:40 PM

BTW, all the places I mentioned would have nice commutes to Paramus. Montebello and Mahwah would be Rt. 17 South which is how many people go to the GW Bridge, NJ Tpk., GSP, Lincoln Tun., etc. -- however, you can get to anywhere in Paramus via local roads.

I get off Rt. 17 about 4 exits early and I miss all the traffic. Paramus is the shopping mall capital of NJ and the Rt. 4 and 17 area, even with the excellent new roads, etc. is still bogged down with a lot of traffic.

My office is in Paramus and I've been in this area my entire adult life. There are many excellent towns heading north from Paramus on Rt. 17, and into Rockland County as well -- Montebello, certain parts of Airmont, etc.

What about Nyack? Good luck.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:26 PM

47 posts, read 138,064 times
Default What about Westchester?

Thanks for your responses!!!! I am taking a trip up there next week and will visit the towns you all suggested. Are any of you familiar with Rye, NY? Is that a horrible commute to Paramus? Thanks...from a North Carolinian

Old 10-14-2007, 06:43 PM

You are welcome. I am not intimately familiar with Rye. I have a few clients there (Rye and Rye Brook) and have been there several times. Personally, I wouldn't want to make the commute to Paramus on a daily basis. I think the commute can be brutal. Heading toward the bridge, you are going to hit traffic going into NJ, south to other points in NY, NYC, etc. Once you cross the bridge, people are going to be heading north, to various points in Rockland County and various points in NJ. You will also be hitting traffic which is heading to major highways -- The Palisades Interstate Parkway, the Garden State Parkway, and Route 17. People will also be heading to other points north as well.

If I had a choice, I'd prefer to live on the NJ/Rockland side of the bridge. In NJ, your income taxes will be lower for the most part. However, if you really love Rye -- do it! The commute is nothing if you love where you are. What does google, mapquest, etc. say about the commute?

If you are heading up here next week -- stay somewhere central and spend one full day in each place. I always look to learn all about the various sections of a town, city, etc. -- all the different enclaves, developments, etc. Check out a few of the nicer Rockland County towns and also Nyack. Some people go to Nyack and just fall in love, and others don't! LOL. Like I said, check out Montvale, Park Ridge and Westwood (all in NJ). Good luck.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:34 PM

276 posts, read 1,223,541 times
Honestly, there are so many nice towns that are a stone's throw from Paramus that in your situation, I would chose to live as close as possible to my husband's workplace.

The worst part of living in Bergen County, IMO, is the traffic and the commute time, whether you are driving or doing mass transit. I live in Ridgewood, and I do not venture anywhere near Route 17 or 4 between 4 and 6 pm. You could be in your car for HOURS!

The towns you mentioned - Ridgewood, Wyckoff, Allendale are all nice. Out of these 3, Ridgewood definitely is most pretentious BUT is closest to Paramus and arguably has the best schools. And if you stay on the east side of Ridgewood (NOT Upper Ridgewood) you can avoid the country club set. Wyckoff and Allendale are beautiful, and I would also look at Ramsey and Mahwah if you are looking for a little more land.

We are moving out of the area (and doing a FSBO, so PM me if interested) and we will most likely be moving within a mile of my husbands workplace. It just takes too much time away from family to do an hour commute each day!

Good Luck!

Old 10-14-2007, 08:04 PM

Great comments Kristin. I too live in the same area and commute to Paramus everyday. I will tell you this -- instead of getting off on Century Road or Rt. 4 east, I end up getting off on Ridgewood, Midland, etc. and all is fine. If I leave Mahwah at 8:30am, I am in the office by 9am and that includes a few good miles on local roads with lights, school buses, crossing guards, etc.

Heading from Mahwah to Paramus, of course not very early (where most people are trying to get into NYC), I don't hit a lot of traffic until Rt. 4 and you get off at every exit before that.

Heading home, I take Forest Avenue up to Midland and get on Rt. 17 North past most of the retail -- and again, all is fine. I get from Forest Avenue to Mahwah in about 20 minutes, 30 if there is a problem.

I think Ramsey is very underrated, although I could be wrong about it. Great little downtown area and improving. More redevelopment to come as well. I am not familiar with all of the enclaves/sections of Ramsey but once I got lost and drove by a few streets where the houses reminded me of those Saratoga Springs type houses. Older style, nice detail, large proches that ran the entire length of the house, etc. Very nice. I think Ramsey also has a few areas where you see the old stately mansions/estates and areas surrounding those can offer a lot.

Anyway -- good luck and a premature "Welcome to NJ!!!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or