Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 10:01 AM

329 posts, read 1,442,658 times

Advertisements

LONG BRANCH! Lovely but trendy, artsy-fartsy, and MEGA-EXPENSIVE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 11:16 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EANJ View Post
Thanks for the heads up. Can you fill me/us in on this new light rail? Will this go directly from Bayonne into NYC? Or the JC PATH? What do you think the commute time will be?

What are the various sections or parts you like? Are there names of sections like in JC (Newport, Journal Square, Pavonia, etc.)? Thank you again.
I don't have time right now to type too much about Bayonne - I'm very familiar with it, as I lived there for an eternity.

I may have been the one who said the commute was hellish, but it needs to be taken into context. Given it's proximity to the city (mere miles), it can take well over an hour on the bus, unless you grab it uptown and/or get an express bus. That's what I meant. The light rail is a great option (which has been running for awhile), but I do think, depending on where you get on, it could be on the slow side as well.

As far as sections, there are basically 3: downtown (1st to about 17th streets), midtown (18th to about 30th) and uptown (30th up). Downtown is sometimes referred to as Bergen Point. There's also the east side (east of Broadway) and west side (obviously west of broadway). In general, the west side (I'd say Ave C and west) is preferable over the east side (with a possible notible exception of the work they are doing at the old MOTBY)

My *personal* preference is west side, downtown. it's the most residential and quietest. I can say that there is nowhere I would *unequivocably* (sp) avoid driving around. Last week I was in what could be considered a "not so hot" part of the city (50th and Broadway), the restaurant was right across the side street from the projects and my car was parked right in front of them), and, as a non-threatening looking female, I felt completely safe.

Another section that is very very nice is the area around Hudson County Park (Bayonne Park). This is Ave A around 34th street up to about 38th, and over towards and including Ave B (and going towards Ave C as well) This is the "rich" part of town, with many beautiful older homes.

As far as areas to avoid living, I would say near the turnpike, Avenue C between 18th and 25th streets and maybe the Blvd and Ave E (same). These areas are NOT ghetto by any stretch, but the crime is a bit higher. And, just a personal preference, but I wouldn't want to live east of Ave E. I have several friends who live over there, and it's perfectly safe and fine, I just wouldn't want to - but it is very convienient (sp) to 440 and the Tpke.

Ok, I said I wasn't going to type a lot, but I did. Hope this is helpful.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:52 PM

56 posts, read 250,165 times
Frenchtown: artsy atmosphere, beautiful rolling hills, still relatively affordable for Hunterdon County and very walkable and charming. Stay away from riverfront if you buy, newcomers are always welcome in this town. It has a great yoga studio, a spa, coffee houses, art galleries, bakeries and natural beauty. If you like cookie cutter suburbs or frantic urban cities this is not the town for you.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:28 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,459,731 times
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/06/re...rssnyt&emc=rss

Old 10-15-2007, 10:09 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,290,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I don't have time right now to type too much about Bayonne - I'm very familiar with it, as I lived there for an eternity.

I may have been the one who said the commute was hellish, but it needs to be taken into context. Given it's proximity to the city (mere miles), it can take well over an hour on the bus, unless you grab it uptown and/or get an express bus. That's what I meant. The light rail is a great option (which has been running for awhile), but I do think, depending on where you get on, it could be on the slow side as well.

As far as sections, there are basically 3: downtown (1st to about 17th streets), midtown (18th to about 30th) and uptown (30th up). Downtown is sometimes referred to as Bergen Point. There's also the east side (east of Broadway) and west side (obviously west of broadway). In general, the west side (I'd say Ave C and west) is preferable over the east side (with a possible notible exception of the work they are doing at the old MOTBY)

My *personal* preference is west side, downtown. it's the most residential and quietest. I can say that there is nowhere I would *unequivocably* (sp) avoid driving around. Last week I was in what could be considered a "not so hot" part of the city (50th and Broadway), the restaurant was right across the side street from the projects and my car was parked right in front of them), and, as a non-threatening looking female, I felt completely safe.

Another section that is very very nice is the area around Hudson County Park (Bayonne Park). This is Ave A around 34th street up to about 38th, and over towards and including Ave B (and going towards Ave C as well) This is the "rich" part of town, with many beautiful older homes.

As far as areas to avoid living, I would say near the turnpike, Avenue C between 18th and 25th streets and maybe the Blvd and Ave E (same). These areas are NOT ghetto by any stretch, but the crime is a bit higher. And, just a personal preference, but I wouldn't want to live east of Ave E. I have several friends who live over there, and it's perfectly safe and fine, I just wouldn't want to - but it is very convienient (sp) to 440 and the Tpke.

Ok, I said I wasn't going to type a lot, but I did. Hope this is helpful.
A ton of great info there -- and thank you very much!!! What is the old MOTBY? Sounds like there is a lot going on in Bayonne. The Hudson County/Bayonne Park area sounds very nice.

Thanks again.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
Rahway -- interesting. I was very surprised to read, in several places, that nearby Edison was on various watch-lists for high #'s of future foclosures. I never truly understood how some can predict that one town will have high #'s, more than the norm, higher than average, etc. numbers of forclosures.

Regardless, I would venture that property values, growth rates, etc. have something to do with it.

Interesting article -- thanks.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:03 AM

66 posts, read 390,953 times
Check out the article on Rahway in New Jersey Real Estate Report

Prices are falling, doesn't mean its not an up& coming place to live, just interesting article.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:44 AM

267 posts, read 950,326 times
I can tell you that the fastest growing town as far as population boom is concerned is Woolwich Twp in South Jersey. Everyone usually says WHERE?!? Yep, it's true.

On that subject, what south jersey towns are taking off, if any?? How about growth of the Philly suburbs in general?

Old 10-16-2007, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southamboy View Post
Check out the article on Rahway in New Jersey Real Estate Report

Prices are falling, doesn't mean its not an up& coming place to live, just interesting article.
Agreed -- even in hot, up and coming places, prices are falling. They are falling all over. Sure there are exceptions. I was not equating prices falling with not being a hot, up and coming place. Good article. Thanks.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:22 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EANJ View Post
A ton of great info there -- and thank you very much!!! What is the old MOTBY? Sounds like there is a lot going on in Bayonne. The Hudson County/Bayonne Park area sounds very nice.

Thanks again.

MOTBY is the old Military Ocean Terminal - Naval Base. It closed in 99 and is now being revamped to include housing, shops, golf course, etc.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey