Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 02:10 PM

2 posts, read 7,074 times

Advertisements

Took a ride through Keansburg this past weekend looking at some real estate to possibly invest in..can someone update me on the development and any areas I should stay away from that are slated for development? I heard that the taxes have gone up recently, is that true? Has the recent tax hike pushed anyone out of there homes? Does anyone know what the median rents are in town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 07:36 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner9919 View Post
you are absolutely NUTS! every driven out that way during rush hour?
it could take you forever to get home. forever, and a day..
Yes. I am very familiar with how horrific I-80 can be at rush-hour. I crossed the DWG Westbound into the Stroudsburgs during one Friday evening rush-hour this past summer, and the congestion from the combined commuter/tourist traffic was immense, to say the least. This is why I can't believe NJ continues to tap dance around the new Scranton-Hoboken rail line. I've heard many on other NJ-related forums kvetching that they shouldn't pay to finance PA commuters traveling through their state, but the harsh reality is that tens of thousands of people are commuting daily from NEPA into NYC and North Jersey along I-80 NOW (with MANY more on the way), and folks in NJ can either continue to gnash their teeth in the traffic jams or support more mass transit options. Hell, I hate to say this, but I even know people from SCRANTON who commute four hours daily to New York City for work. It's not that people here are "nuts." It's moreso a case of the only job opportunities we have here cater to the uneducated (call centers, distribution centers, trucking firms, etc.) while those of us in the IT, financial services, pharmaceutical, etc. fields have to drive vast distance to decent employers. If and when Wall Street West ever comes to NEPA, you'll see a lot of people beginning to REVERSE-COMMUTE from places like Hackettstown, Hopatcong, or Dover westward into Stroudsburg.

The congestion is what arises from poor mass transit systems coupled with all of the decent career opportunities being clustered together in a small geographic area while the cost-of-living near to these employment meccas continues to soar astronomically. It was sad that so many folks from my area died in the WTC on 9/11; why they even had to commute all the way to NYC to find decent employment in the first place is a bloody shame that should be placed solely upon the shoulders of our PA politicians who are too busy hyping up Philadelphia and Pittsburgh while forgetting about the rest of the state.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:58 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,177 times
Yes, they are most def nuts. If they had any sense they would move closer to their work place. Interstate transit relationships are complex and there are many reasons why new transit lines are not added. It is not simply a question of residents being in denial.

The comment about 9/11 is really out of line. People from many states died that day and all of them should have been somewhere else. The next terror incident could strike anywhere in the country.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:12 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
Yes, they are most def nuts. If they had any sense they would move closer to their work place. Interstate transit relationships are complex and there are many reasons why new transit lines are not added. It is not simply a question of residents being in denial.

The comment about 9/11 is really out of line. People from many states died that day and all of them should have been somewhere else. The next terror incident could strike anywhere in the country.
No. It was not "really out-of-line" at all, especially considering I know people in my area who lost relatives in these heinous attacks. Any life lost was one too many on 9/11, and I don't see how you could turn that comment against me. The simple truth of the matter is that if folks from my area were NOT all power-commuting four hours each day to work and clogging I-80 just to earn a decent salary, they'd be less likely to be put in harm's way. What are the odds Usama bin Laden would attack Scranton next, anyways? This city could be leveled with an atomic bomb, and the rest of the nation would just go "Eh. Whatever. No more coal mines." Meanwhile someone attacks New York City, and all hell breaks loose, which is why the terrorists favor targeting it; they seem to like to cause the most pandemonium they can. NYC is and will always be one of the world's leading financial centers and a figurehead for American capitalism. As such, it will always be a major target, along with our governmental center of Washington, DC. Do I like talking about this? Of course not, as it brings back a lot of painful memories. However, you can't stick your head back into the sand by choosing to NOT talk about it by insulting me.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:14 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,965,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
No. It was not "really out-of-line" at all, especially considering I know people in my area who lost relatives in these heinous attacks. Any life lost was one too many on 9/11, and I don't see how you could turn that comment against me. The simple truth of the matter is that if folks from my area were NOT all power-commuting four hours each day to work and clogging I-80 just to earn a decent salary, they'd be less likely to be put in harm's way. What are the odds Usama bin Laden would attack Scranton next, anyways? This city could be leveled with an atomic bomb, and the rest of the nation would just go "Eh. Whatever. No more coal mines." Meanwhile someone attacks New York City, and all hell breaks loose, which is why the terrorists favor targeting it; they seem to like to cause the most pandemonium they can. NYC is and will always be one of the world's leading financial centers and a figurehead for American capitalism. As such, it will always be a major target, along with our governmental center of Washington, DC. Do I like talking about this? Of course not, as it brings back a lot of painful memories. However, you can't stick your head back into the sand by choosing to NOT talk about it by insulting me.
Forgetting your nonsensical views of terrorism in the US the facts are that
the people who live in NE PA and commute to work in NYC are just plain foolish people who traded money for their time. they were able to buy a home for 169k out there in stroudsburg but they commute 2+ hours each way. They are trapped in a life that sucks.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:21 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
Forgetting your nonsensical views of terrorism in the US the facts are that
the people who live in NE PA and commute to work in NYC are just plain foolish people who traded money for their time. they were able to buy a home for 169k out there in stroudsburg but they commute 2+ hours each way. They are trapped in a life that sucks.
I commute for 2 hours. During my commute, I read, I design furniture for my house, I do billable work for my job (so I don't necessarily have to spend 8 hours at the office), I watch videos, read the news, etc.

What about that sucks? I get 2 hours of me time.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:32 AM

531 posts, read 2,150,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
I commute for 2 hours. During my commute, I read, I design furniture for my house, I do billable work for my job (so I don't necessarily have to spend 8 hours at the office), I watch videos, read the news, etc.

I take it you don't spend the 2 hours driving a car.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:37 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syncmaster View Post
I take it you don't spend the 2 hours driving a car.
Nope, thats what they made mass transit for.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:46 AM

531 posts, read 2,150,097 times
Quote:
Nope, thats what they made mass transit for.
Unfortunately, they haven't made enough of it. I've always worked and lived in Jersey and I am yet to have a commute that was doable via mass transit.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:55 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,965,745 times
Quote:

I think that's great that you manage to find things to do during your commute, the one thing that you fail to acknowledge is that the majority of people from that area drive to NYC and cannot use their time like you do.

spending 4-5 hours a day commuting takes time away from enjoying life. There are things that some people find important like being with their families, or having the time to pursue interests other than work.

It you're happy with that lifestyle who am I to pooh pooh it?

It's not for me, I certainly wouldn' want to wake up around 6 am spend 2+ hours on a commute only to get home in time to have a dinner, go to bed and then start all over again. I kept hours somewhat like that for awhile and while devoting so much time to my career helped my advancement it wasn't any fun

Whatever floats your boat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey