Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 08:56 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,655,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by syncmaster View Post
Unfortunately, they haven't made enough of it. I've always worked and lived in Jersey and I am yet to have a commute that was doable via mass transit.
Thats a shame - I've been commuting by train now for about 3-4 years, previously worked only 10 minutes by car from my other jobs, so I've never done the long commute drive. On the odd days I've had to go somewhere during the morning commute for a client or some such, I've despised it, and told myself I would never, ever live somewhere that I didn't have a short commute or workable mass transit.

Of course, NJ definitely doesn't have the mass transit systems it should. Its very focused on NYC, and not enough on commuting within NJ. I think we'd see more NJ business if the infrastructure had some additions (and those would make for some serious "Hot" "take-off" towns).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 08:57 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,949,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
Nope, thats what they made mass transit for.
and what except a bus or 2 are the mass transit options from stroudsburg PA?

Old 11-27-2007, 09:11 AM

531 posts, read 2,147,049 times
Quote:
I think we'd see more NJ business if the infrastructure had some additions (and those would make for some serious "Hot" "take-off" towns).
There are some plans I've heard of that are definitely not NYC-centric and, if they pan out as described, could be quite promising. The planned West Trenton connection from Bridgewater (via Hillsborough) is one. Another one that comes to mind is the planned Monmouth-Ocean-Middlesex line, if they manage to go through South Brunswick despite local opposition. Lastly, I hear NJ Transit is looking at a rapid transit system for the "greater new brunswick" area (New Brunswick, Piscataway, Highland Park, North Brunswick, Franklin) which could be very cool, if it comes to fruition.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:25 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,949,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syncmaster View Post
There are some plans I've heard of that are definitely not NYC-centric and, if they pan out as described, could be quite promising. The planned West Trenton connection from Bridgewater (via Hillsborough) is one. Another one that comes to mind is the planned Monmouth-Ocean-Middlesex line, if they manage to go through South Brunswick despite local opposition. Lastly, I hear NJ Transit is looking at a rapid transit system for the "greater new brunswick" area (New Brunswick, Piscataway, Highland Park, North Brunswick, Franklin) which could be very cool, if it comes to fruition.
don't hold your breath waiting for these things to happen, both lines have been in the planning stages for 20+ years and they are still not any closer to becoming reality

Old 11-27-2007, 04:34 PM

32,613 posts, read 77,405,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
Forgetting your nonsensical views of terrorism in the US the facts are that
the people who live in NE PA and commute to work in NYC are just plain foolish people who traded money for their time. they were able to buy a home for 169k out there in stroudsburg but they commute 2+ hours each way. They are trapped in a life that sucks.
I concur. I never said it wasn't foolish for them to be commuting such long distances. I took issue with that individual calling me "out-of-line" for mentioning 9/11. It's a historical event, and whether anyone likes it or not it WILL be talked about for generations to come as a very sad and tragic day.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:25 PM

17 posts, read 68,912 times
Default Hunterdon County

What about Hunterdon County?.....Flemington? Clinton? Flemington is getting built up these days, huh?...not to mention the fact that they have excellent schools.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:57 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,007,029 times
I can see Warren County as a major hot spot in the near future. It's beautiful and very scenic. I say it's going to be the next Hunterdon or Morris County; and unfortunately, prices will go up like crazy as a result.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:45 PM

786 posts, read 2,658,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EANJ View Post
New Brunswick -- I was there not too long ago for a show in that theatre in the center of town (just off George St. I think). I was very impressed and surprised at some of the redevelopment. I used to go to school nearby and New Brunswick was my old stomping grounds.

What are some of your thoughts? Proximity to NYC via car, bus and train? Metro Park is not too far and I don't know if you can catch a train from New Brunswick directly into NYC. Great restaurants too. It's still a university town though, that and J&J, LOL.

What about Cranford? What are some of your thoughts there as well? Thank you again.
The town has been designated a transit village, which means lotsa money coming in, lots of planned development, many of which are opposed by the residents because it could lower the town standing as a quiet suburban township and make it more like "urbanized" towns to the east like Linden, Elizabeth, etc.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:46 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,349,983 times
Quote:
I commute for 2 hours. During my commute, I read, I design furniture for my house, I do billable work for my job (so I don't necessarily have to spend 8 hours at the office), I watch videos, read the news, etc.

What about that sucks? I get 2 hours of me time.
I think when your young the 2 hours is nothing, but when you get into your late 50s its a chore. My husband did it on a bus and going in was 50 min(Non Rush, early AM) but when going home started to take 2 plus hours it was time for a move. His commute now is 20-25 min driving, and he parks right under his bulding. When it rains he doesn't get wet. He;s in a Corporate park.

Diane G

Old 04-24-2008, 12:51 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,570,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
I can see Warren County as a major hot spot in the near future. It's beautiful and very scenic. I say it's going to be the next Hunterdon or Morris County; and unfortunately, prices will go up like crazy as a result.
I agree... it was the fastest growing county during the last housing boom but new const. has slowed down tremedously. The Highland's act should help with keeping Warren green and open. Most Twps. by me now have a 5 acre min. - some as high as 10 acres.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey