Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 06:32 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,291,036 times

Advertisements

I know, I know, nobody has a crystal ball -- but I wanted to get some ideas from people as to where they felt the "next Hoboken" or "next Jersey City/Newport" is.

What are some of the up and coming, hot towns/cities/etc.? With ferry's becoming more common, what's going on throughout Monmouth and Ocean Counties? I remember years ago Marlboro was a boomtown.

So, in your opinion, what are some of the towns, areas, etc. that are next to take off? Thank you in advance.

Eric
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 07:04 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EANJ View Post
I know, I know, nobody has a crystal ball -- but I wanted to get some ideas from people as to where they felt the "next Hoboken" or "next Jersey City/Newport" is.

What are some of the up and coming, hot towns/cities/etc.? With ferry's becoming more common, what's going on throughout Monmouth and Ocean Counties? I remember years ago Marlboro was a boomtown.

So, in your opinion, what are some of the towns, areas, etc. that are next to take off? Thank you in advance.

Eric
I think Hackettstown is truly going to take off in the upcoming years. It is situated midway between the stable suburbanized area of Northeastern New Jersey and the rapidly-growing "new" suburbs in the Pocono Mountains of Northeastern Pennsylvania, and it's only a matter of time before growth pressures from each direction start to hit Sussex and Warren Counties as well. People will eventually realize that the added stress of commuting from Mt. Pocono, PA to NYC in order to save $50,000 from buying a home in Hackettstown truly isn't worth the strain it puts on one's family (and one's automobile for that matter). I did a photo tour of that town, and the downtown was pretty depressing. With some new streetscape enhancements, it can truly take off.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:27 PM

316 posts, read 943,263 times
Robbinsville, New Brunswick, Cranford, Long Branch

Old 10-14-2007, 07:28 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
After several hours of research, I'd probably add Bayonne to this list as well.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
I think Hackettstown is truly going to take off in the upcoming years. It is situated midway between the stable suburbanized area of Northeastern New Jersey and the rapidly-growing "new" suburbs in the Pocono Mountains of Northeastern Pennsylvania, and it's only a matter of time before growth pressures from each direction start to hit Sussex and Warren Counties as well. People will eventually realize that the added stress of commuting from Mt. Pocono, PA to NYC in order to save $50,000 from buying a home in Hackettstown truly isn't worth the strain it puts on one's family (and one's automobile for that matter). I did a photo tour of that town, and the downtown was pretty depressing. With some new streetscape enhancements, it can truly take off.
Hackettstown? Interesting. I guess being midway between the Poconos and certain areas in Northern NJ would be a good thing. I didn't think there was a large # or % of people who lived in the Poconos and commuted everyday to NYC. I know the PR says it's only X miles or so (I forget exactly what all the ads for Poconos homes say, LOL), but with NJ and NYC traffic, that X miles could end up being absolutely brutal.

What about mass transportation -- specifically trains? Is there talk of high-speed trains going in somewhere in the Poconos? I know there was talk of this years ago in the Monroe, NY area, and other areas as well (Monticello area, Catskills, etc.). Are there currently express trains that go from Hackettstown or nearby areas into NYC (or the PATH station in JC, or Hoboken, etc.)?

Thank you again.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikieguns View Post
Robbinsville, New Brunswick, Cranford, Long Branch
New Brunswick -- I was there not too long ago for a show in that theatre in the center of town (just off George St. I think). I was very impressed and surprised at some of the redevelopment. I used to go to school nearby and New Brunswick was my old stomping grounds.

What are some of your thoughts? Proximity to NYC via car, bus and train? Metro Park is not too far and I don't know if you can catch a train from New Brunswick directly into NYC. Great restaurants too. It's still a university town though, that and J&J, LOL.

What about Cranford? What are some of your thoughts there as well? Thank you again.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:45 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,717,616 times
Quote:
Yep, I've been saying Bayonne for the past two years. Great town, sidewalk cafes popping up, and once the light rail goes all the way down to 8th Street it will be just another option to get into the City.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I agree 100%. The only thing that bothers me about Bayonne is the home prices over the last 5-7 years -- up very strong -- approx. 115% to 120%! I've been trying to learn a great deal about Bayonne. I would think that with the proximity to NYC, and JC where the ferrys and PATH station are, you would be in a hot area. There are railway systems and Newark is close as well. One Bayonne resident on this board said the commute to NYC is "hellish" -- I think was the word used. How bad could it be?

What are some of the various sections/parts of Bayonne? I am trying to learn more about the easiest/best/etc. ways to get into NYC -- via ferry, PATH, Newark train, etc. Any talk of ferrys coming to Bayonne?

There are some new construction projects going on in Bayonne as well. If this is a sign of things to come . . .

Old 10-14-2007, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
Yep, I've been saying Bayonne for the past two years. Great town, sidewalk cafes popping up, and once the light rail goes all the way down to 8th Street it will be just another option to get into the City.
Thanks for the heads up. Can you fill me/us in on this new light rail? Will this go directly from Bayonne into NYC? Or the JC PATH? What do you think the commute time will be?

What are the various sections or parts you like? Are there names of sections like in JC (Newport, Journal Square, Pavonia, etc.)? Thank you again.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:26 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,717,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EANJ View Post
Thanks for the heads up. Can you fill me/us in on this new light rail? Will this go directly from Bayonne into NYC? Or the JC PATH? What do you think the commute time will be?

What are the various sections or parts you like? Are there names of sections like in JC (Newport, Journal Square, Pavonia, etc.)? Thank you again.
The light rail follows Ave E through Bayonne and it will be a 15-20 minute trip to Hoboken to catch the PATH. You can also get off at Exchange to catch the PATH there if you work downtown.

Bayonne is an urban town so it's not for everyone but Broadway is the main shopping area. I don't know the names of the nabes so maybe someone here can fill me in as well, but there are a few sketchy areas such as Prospect Ave in the low 20's, the projects down near the water and a few areas near Ave A and Kennedy Blvd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey