U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 07:56 AM

2 posts, read 13,094 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to find a place that's affordable, safe and close to the city. They have a lot of places available in Union City that's in my budget. Does anyone know if Summit Ave and 16th street is safe and convenient to the city? Can anyone recommend an area in Union City if it's not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 08:54 AM

52 posts, read 212,885 times
16th and Summit is one block away from Kennedy blvd. You can take a bus there that goes north on Kennedy and transfer on 31st and Hudson to the NJ Transit 123 bus that takes the Lincoln tunnel (which is also very near by) into NY Port Authority Bus Terminal at 42nd st. and 8th Ave. So for transportation this location is really good. Also, there is the DeCamp line of buses that goes through Union City and into NYC. DeCamp seems to be another good option in addition to NJ Transit.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:32 PM

2 posts, read 13,094 times
Is the neigborhood safe? Meaning, could I walk downstairs at 10:00pm and buy a carton of milk and not come back wearing only my boxer? Could anyone recommend an up and coming and safe area for under 1k/month rent that's close to midtown?

Old 10-19-2007, 09:02 PM

15 posts, read 72,313 times
I grew up in this town. 16th and Summit is not one of the better areas of Union City. Mind you that this town gets a really bad rep. I've never experienced any crime first hand here. I would recommend uptown Union City past 30th St. I've walked those areas at 4 in the morning with no problems. Let me know if you need additional info

Old 10-20-2007, 04:44 PM

10 posts, read 47,746 times
GEOFRI04..

I grew up in UC..lived here for over 10yrs.. 16th and summit can be a bit of trouble if you stay out long enough..i rememeber back in 99-01 time someone getting killed on 18th and summit, a teenager stabbed, robbery. Nonetheless I would recommend you staying away from downtown union city(1st to 23rd street). Better off living around 28-38th street. Around Palisade ave, or new york ave. Bus to NY in 2-3minute walk. Midtown is your best place (24st to 38th street)

Old 10-20-2007, 07:01 PM

2,541 posts, read 10,189,375 times
To those who grew up in Union city:

Was union city almost all cuban back then?

I just find it curious because I grew up not to far from there, and I have probably never met anyone of cuban descent ever.

Old 10-21-2007, 01:55 PM

2,541 posts, read 10,189,375 times
I did not mean to highjack the thread, but I figure why start another one.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:45 AM

927 posts, read 1,284,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
To those who grew up in Union city:

Was union city almost all cuban back then?

I just find it curious because I grew up not to far from there, and I have probably never met anyone of cuban descent ever.

Yes Union City did once have a very large Cuban population. I believe UC was once 70% Cuban (If not higher). They started arriving in Union City around the 1940's. Many of them came from what I believe is a province called Fomento. Then more Cubans started coming in the 1960's, and 70's when Fidel took power in Cuba. And again in 1980 with the Marielitos. (the marielitos from what ive read were arrivals that came on boats and many came from prisons and mental asylums). Unlike the earlier Cubans who were educated and upper or middle class the marielitos were lower class and many uneducated. The 60's, 70's, and 80's were really the high point of the Cubans in Union City. Nowadays, UC is only 15% Cuban. Many have left. See, Union City has always been an immigrant town. In the 1850's, it was the Germans and the Dutch. And in the early 1900's it was the Irish and the Italians. And history always repeats itself. Immigrants have come to Union City, stay there, save up enough money, and eventually leave. Today the recent immigrants are the Dominicans, Central and South Americans, Mexicans, and a few Middle Easterners and some settlers from other places here and there. I also heard there are some Hasidic Jews here too. Nonetheless, the Cubans have transformed Union CIty. There are stilll at least four Cuban restaurants, many Cuban owned bodegas(grocery stores), and a Cuban Day Parade every year. They transformed Bergenline, (the main street) and saved it from deteriorating. But now it's a UEZ so expect 99 cent shops and liquor stores.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:21 AM

2 posts, read 9,088 times
I also grew up in UC in the 60/70/80's and yes the earlier arrival of Cuban's did in fact re-energize a city that was falling asleep. They brought many shops, food stores and turned them around. The pressed Cuban sandwiches from the stores by the old bus barn on Bergenline and 41"st and Park were great. Had a neighbor in the 70's who actually had a pit in the driveway just to cook a pig in the Summertime. The smell drove us crazy when we played BB in the schoolyard but they "ALWAYS" offered us some because we ALL looked out for the area and residents. The embroidery trade became the biggest field in the township and made it one of the biggest fields in the Nation. The earlier arrivals also detested the latter ones (marielitos) because they degraded and dis-respected the status of the Nationality and the culture they hold dear.. The town now has been going down hill fast. The school systems were the highlight of the town and now are Abbott districts. The crime and gangs are definetly a problem, friends are UCPD, and the parking is out of control unless you happen to have a home with a port.

I would suggest Weehawken or Hoboken if you can afford rental there and the buses are plentiful to get to NYC. But if you still wish to be in UC then uptown 30's Hudson and Palisade are your best bet. But you will always need to watch your back anywhere in Hudson County.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:46 PM

576 posts, read 1,371,656 times
Union City is defenitly a cool place has a very large spanish population, as far as saftey its not horrible but it defenitly could be alot better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or