U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2007, 09:03 AM

687 posts, read 2,911,238 times

Advertisements

We are looking to rent a home or apartment from roughly late November until March/April. We'd rather not spend more than $2500/month, but are open to all possibilities. We need at least two, but preferably three bedrooms, and we also have a small dog.

I'm hoping the C-D crew can give me some ideas... We've never done a short term rental before. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 02:16 PM

2,212 posts, read 6,174,764 times
Google corporate rentals. I believe there are some in New Brunswick, Somerset (a bit more north but not excessive) and also in Plainsboro.
Most of them rent furnished or unfurnished on a monthly basis. From what I have seen your budget should be more than sufficient.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:35 PM

12,284 posts, read 30,944,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliann1977 View Post
We are looking to rent a home or apartment from roughly late November until March/April. We'd rather not spend more than $2500/month, but are open to all possibilities. We need at least two, but preferably three bedrooms, and we also have a small dog.

I'm hoping the C-D crew can give me some ideas... We've never done a short term rental before. Thanks!
We needed a short term rental after we sold our house and before our new one was built. We went to a local RE agent and found a condo where the owner was flexible with the lease terms. We had to pay more per month for the shortened time, but it was worth it. I'd visit some agents who specialize in some condo complexes in the area - you could get lucky. Good luck!

ETA - we had 2 cats which they allowed, we just had to get the carpets professionally cleaned afterwards.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Google corporate rentals.
I talked to people at Churchhill today and our dog is problematic.

Any other corporate rentals y'all know of?

Quote:
We went to a local RE agent and found a condo where the owner was flexible with the lease terms. We had to pay more per month for the shortened time, but it was worth it.
Thanks, tahiti--I started looking into this avenue after my original post. This may be what we pursue. We really don't want to pay broker's fees though--not because of the money, but because we're pretty sick of realtors at this point.

We're also thinking of just signing a one year apt. lease and breaking early--the cost of 1-2 months rent may be a wash with what we'd be charged for doing such a short term lease.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:17 PM

12,284 posts, read 30,944,500 times
Quote:

Thanks, tahiti--I started looking into this avenue after my original post. This may be what we pursue. We really don't want to pay broker's fees though--not because of the money, but because we're pretty sick of realtors at this point.

We're also thinking of just signing a one year apt. lease and breaking early--the cost of 1-2 months rent may be a wash with what we'd be charged for doing such a short term lease.
We didn't have to pay the realtor - the owner did which was a bonus b/c I thought we'd have to pay - so, you never know! Good luck!

Old 10-15-2007, 07:46 PM

Quote:
We didn't have to pay the realtor - the owner did which was a bonus b/c I thought we'd have to pay - so, you never know! Good luck!
Really? I thought for sure there would be a broker's fee. Thanks for the tip!

Old 10-15-2007, 09:33 PM

2,212 posts, read 6,174,764 times
Quote:

Churchill is a relocation agent - they don't actually own the apartments so they are probably making a big deal out of it for liability reasons. Several of the complexes they work with allow dogs -even large ones, such as Hunters Glen or Fox Run in Plainsboro. Fox Run may be worth a call as a quick search showed they offer corporate and flexible leases directly. Might be worth it just to avoid the hassle of dealing with a private owner. I tend to prefer companies with no emotional attachment to a property and 24 hour maintenance.

You could perform a search on move.com. They list pet friendly complexes.

(BTW, not attached to Plainsboro in any particular way, there are just a lot of complexes there. Plenty of nice towns to look at in the area).

Old 11-03-2007, 07:27 PM

2,866 posts, read 8,281,901 times
Here are a Few Lists of Temporary Housing in NJ.

Oakwood Corporate Housing - Temporary Furnished Apartments for Extended Stay (http://www.oakwood.com/corporate-apartments/US/NJ.html - broken link)

NJ Locations

Corporate Housing in NJ and NY by Elite Corporate Housing

Glad you sold your home! I do mean it.

Diane G
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or