Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 03:08 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,827,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You need to call the city/township you are considering purchasing in and get on the wait list. When a suitable unit comes up for sale they will let you know.
When they say "low income",do you think someone making 100,000 a year qualifies?

Or do they mean low and middle income?

It seems everyone forgets about us in that are in between.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 04:01 PM

20,306 posts, read 19,899,417 times
Quote:
The only over-reaction is the people who assume that anyone living in a ML home is that shouldn't be allowed to breath the air in wealthy neighborhoods.
Talk about an over-reactive, sweeping generalization.

Anyway, since you brought up that particular social segment, who would want "...a derelict drug dealing low-class bum..." moving in next door?

I wouldn't and neither would my neighbors. There's no upside to that.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:12 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,008,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
When they say "low income",do you think someone making 100,000 a year qualifies?

http://www.nj.gov/dca/affiliates/coa...comelimits.pdf

Old 12-10-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Talk about an over-reactive, sweeping generalization.

Anyway, since you brought up that particular social segment, who would want "...a derelict drug dealing low-class bum..." moving in next door?

I wouldn't and neither would my neighbors. There's no upside to that.
Many think anyone who isn't making half a million dollars a year must fall into that category though.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:22 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,880,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post

If you're not rich enough to write campaign checks, not poor enough that your vote is cheaply bought, and not vaguely connected to them (cousin's friend's sibling or whatever) then most politicians - of either party - don't give a rat's *** about you.

Just another case of that principle in action here.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:54 PM

18,453 posts, read 15,230,017 times
Quote:
Let me pop your bubble. The majority of NJ towns are not highly affluent. For every one uptight wealthy area (generally populated by full of themselves nouveau riche) in NJ, there are a hundred middle-income cities and towns full of great people who don't freak out and assume that someone who doesn't make $500K a year in household income will turn their neighborhood into a simmering cesspool.

Very few cities/towns in NJ have "outsourced" their ML housing. There's probably some in your neighborhood, you just don't realize it. If you don't come back I'll assume you found out I was right and had a stroke over it.
Wow! Someone's got a lot of pent up anger. You should be a little more worried about yourself having a stroke than me having one. I really don't care all that much, nor would I mind if they put some of these units in my town. You make a lot of unfounded assumptions based on very little information. I never made any judgements about the merits or downfalls of Mt Laurel. I was merely pointing out some of the realities surrounding it. From my relatively neutral statements, you somehow made up a whole stereotypical scenario about my background and what kind of values I have. I think you should have a glass of wine and relax. This is supposed to be fun.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:22 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,193,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
I'm not sure you can have it both ways. #1: inflating prices. #2: depressing prices. Maybe we can just average it out and say that it stabilizes prices?
I said it depressed areas in the long term. It inflates prices in the short term only for already-inflated foreclosures. Since those weren't selling anyway, it's unlikely to have much of an effect on the active market.

Quote:
But as to deed restrictions, I think those are really needed. Otherwise, you get entities buying and then trying to flip when things bounce back, maybe after just a few years.
Well, of course that's what would happen. And that's what should happen, only without government money.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:40 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,029,532 times
So we think that the government of the state of New Jersey is going to invade the real estate market, buying assets and somehow converting them to "affordable" housing. And it's all going to work out well. And people of moderate talent and drive who work at Walmart are going to happily occupy these cheerful housing units, now able to enjoy cozy living in New Jersey at a pleasant and low cost, courtesy of the government. Which will do everything efficiently and gently, with no playing favorites or crony capitalism.

Just one question. R u peeps effing stoned?

Old 12-10-2012, 07:40 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,759,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
They haven't been getting around it. Mount Laurel only requires the affordable housing be built. It doesn't require it to be built in any particular town. Most towns outsource their affordable housing requirements to other towns, who are happy to take it.
Either that or make it housing for the elderly.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
So we think that the government of the state of New Jersey is going to invade the real estate market, buying assets and somehow converting them to "affordable" housing. And it's all going to work out well. And people of moderate talent and drive who work at Walmart are going to happily occupy these cheerful housing units, now able to enjoy cozy living in New Jersey at a pleasant and low cost, courtesy of the government. Which will do everything efficiently and gently, with no playing favorites or crony capitalism.

Just one question. R u peeps effing stoned?
One of my friends who lives in a ML home is a 9-1-1 operator. The pay sucks but she might save your sorry ass some day. I suppose you think that because she only makes $45K a year she should be living in a tenement in Camden. The ML program gave her the ability to own a home in the very expensive and wealthy county that can't be bothered to pay her enough to be able to live within an hour drive of her job if she hadn't gotten the ML condo. She got no favors, she waited four years for her name to move up the list and had to qualify for the mortgage like anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey