U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2012, 04:40 PM

2 posts, read 13,337 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have been parking on the streets in Harrison NJ for a few months now and taking the PATH into WTC. Recently got a ticket for "overtime meter parking" even though the meter was paid for the whole day.

I called up the police department and after being redirected a couple of times, finally spoke with the Violations dept that handles these tickets. I explained the situation and the fact that I had paid the meter for sure, but they said they had not heard of any complaints and that they will ask the DPW dept to check out that particular meter and get back to me.

After I called back again in a couple of days, they said that the meter checked out fine and there were no issues reported. I want to plead not guilty and plead my case with the Judge, but one of the personnel that I spoke with said that the judge bases his/her decision on the meter report. I have no problem paying the ticket once, even though it was not my fault at all. But I would like to prevent this from happening again. So I asked them what I can do to prove that I paid the meter if this was to happen again. They didn't have any answer / solution to that. Just said that I have to call them after I get a ticket and they will have someone check out the meter. But obviously, either the report (if someone actually does go out to check out the meter) is incorrect, or the person writing the ticket made a mistake of reading the meter.

I have asked around since then and found 1 person that got 6 tickets in the past year, ALL in error, when he had paid for the whole day at the meter. He had contested his first ticket, but no luck. He gave up after that, but has written a letter to the court / township, listing all the ticket numbers. Even then the Violations bureau is saying they have not received any complaints.

So i'm wondering if there's anyone out there in a similar situation. Would be great if you can reply to my post and I will try to get some numbers before going to my court date about how common / uncommon this problem is.

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 04:42 PM

12,381 posts, read 24,493,500 times
Where are the metered streets? Is it a muni meter?

Old 12-10-2012, 04:54 PM

9,830 posts, read 13,760,221 times
It's all about the Benjamins.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:17 AM

2 posts, read 13,337 times
The metered streets are a couple of blocks away from the Harrison PATH station. I got the ticket on Essex St. it's not a munimeter - just the old meters, one per parking spot, that only take quarters.

Anyone have the same problem in Harrison?

thanks.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:55 AM

132 posts, read 281,353 times
Can you please continue to park there and keep paying the fines? Harrison is hurting and they need your money. Please?

Old 12-11-2012, 09:19 AM

9,229 posts, read 18,547,457 times
If you have the dollars to fight it, you can get a lawyer to get a order to have the meter sealed, removed, and sent to a independent lab/testing for verification.

I guess we are going to need to do with parking meter what we have to do with rental cars.

Take time dated pictures of the meter that show the current time and the amount of time on the meter, along with the meter serial number to stand any chance of winning a parking ticket.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:09 PM

9,862 posts, read 16,420,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
If you have the dollars to fight it, you can get a lawyer to get a order to have the meter sealed, removed, and sent to a independent lab/testing for verification.
Won't help if they're just making tickets up.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,130 times
I have parking for one year on my street in Harrison and never got a ticket for 2 hours residential park.Suddenly the 4th day of January I woke up and this same person that I heard a lots of people complaint about exessive tickets, issue by PEO VILALTA gave me 4 tickets for ever 2 hours that I pass. There was no signs of 2 hours parking at the street that I be leaving for one year,never been ticket before.I called the court and they said all the streets is 2 hours parking. I explained that the all one year situation and that there was no sign.They told me that I was lucky because the 2 hours parking its valid even without street signs..... what kind of BS is that?
And there's anybody else that feel ripped off by this PEO VILALTA person as I do?

Old 05-18-2017, 08:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,913 times
Hi, I got ticket by this PEO VILlALTA as well. I've been parking in the street of Harrison for a year and I even have the resident parking permit stuck on the back window of my car. But I stil got a ticket for violating 2 hour parking. I will take the ticket to the police station first to see what exactly happened. These people are sick anyway!

Old 12-20-2017, 09:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,568 times
Yes, this Peo Vilialta of Harrison,NJ Parking is abusing his position on us "little" hard working people like us.This is a mistake of his Super in his Dept to meet his everyday quota. That is why this monster Peo from wherever planet he is is so insane to put parking tickets left and right on "little" hardworking people like us!!! I think this PEo wants to be famous in the wrong way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey