U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 02:59 PM

90 posts, read 418,997 times

Advertisements

Based on the following criteria what would be some good towns in new jersey for me?

1) Good to Very good school district (most important criteria!!)
2) 450k max
3) 3 bedroom 1.5 bath mid-size home (would prefer 4/2)
4) approximately .25 acre lot
5) 1.5 hour max commute to Wall Street (door to door, on train not bus)
6) Prefer a walkable town, new england like maybe with a main street
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 04:28 PM
ira

657 posts, read 3,516,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick1918 View Post
Based on the following criteria what would be some good towns in new jersey for me?

2) 450k max
Try Fairlawn in Bergen County. Very nice town with good schools. You can take a train to Hoboken (transfer in Secaucus) and then PATH or ferry to downtown. Given your criteria, you should be able to find a house in your price range. Just a quick search on njmls.com showed plenty of houses that fit your criteria. The only thing it doesn't have (from your list) is a walkable dowtown.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:18 PM

1,984 posts, read 4,784,628 times
Metuchen might be worth looking at.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:19 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,868,307 times
You could also try Colonia, Clark or Cranford

Old 10-16-2007, 06:22 AM

2,736 posts, read 8,544,508 times
Clark doesn't have much in the way of a walkable downtown. Cranford would be good, as well as looking at Westfield.

In either case, train to Newark, change Newark for Path to WTC - less than 1.5hrs.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:39 PM

119 posts, read 166,142 times
Quote:

2) 450k max
One area at Piscataway can walk to Dunellen Train Station (http://newjersey.craigslist.org/search/rfs?query=piscataway&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max - broken link) as shown in Craigslist may satisfies your requirement. Although that area is at Piscataway, but it walk to Dunellen downtown where train station is. Many IT professionals commute to Wall St from this station too.

For more detailed local info, you will find Craigslist (http://newjersey.craigslist.org/search/rfs?query=piscataway&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max - broken link) very useful ...

Old 10-16-2007, 02:22 PM

13,320 posts, read 19,657,523 times
I'd take the train from Denville, NJ.........or the bus from there.
Try for Lake Arrowhead......nice walking neighborhood.
And Denville.........is a nice walkable town.
Just a grand place to live for parents and kids alike.
Its a straight route into the city.........quite quick. Worth being in the mountain, lake and park region for an extra 15 min. for sure.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:29 PM

9,124 posts, read 32,094,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ching1698 View Post
One area at Piscataway can walk to Dunellen Train Station (http://newjersey.craigslist.org/search/rfs?query=piscataway&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max - broken link) as shown in Craigslist may satisfies your requirement. Although that area is at Piscataway, but it walk to Dunellen downtown where train station is. Many IT professionals commute to Wall St from this station too.

For more detailed local info, you will find Craigslist (http://newjersey.craigslist.org/search/rfs?query=piscataway&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max - broken link) very useful ...
What happened, Ching? Did your promotional contract with Edison Hollow South expire, so now you're working for the Piscataway Chamber of Commerce?????

Old 10-16-2007, 08:32 PM

119 posts, read 166,142 times
I would share more info on Newark if I live there, unfortunately, I can only share the info that I am familiar with.

I saw on NJ magazine last night that Newark will have brand new huge The Rock grand opening Oct 23 and first game Oct 27 that would be Devil's new home, that would bring more energy to Newark...

Otherwise, I just passed Edison Hollow South and saw Edison Township just repave the Brunswick Ave to Victoria Park and Edison Manor (also Sold Out), so new so shine!!!! I guess Edison Hollow South does not need any promotion as it is 5 minute walk to Edison Train Station, and it has been SOLD OUT (sorry! Greenspan)

In fact, near by Starpoint, Hidden Woods, University Heights ... also almost sold out ... We are helping condo/townhouse owners to buy bigger house to move up so that first time buyers waiting to buy condo and townhouses can have a chance...

Old 10-17-2007, 07:13 AM

176 posts, read 172,475 times
Quote:

2) 450k max
Nick, how does Mahwah sound? It might be even sorter than the time your looikng for and the train station is right around the corner. It`s on a half acre lot. A friend of mine has the property for sale. Let me know if yo uare interested in seeing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or