U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 06:34 PM

47 posts, read 138,064 times

Advertisements

Hi! Thanks for all of you who have helped me with my previous posts......

We have now narrowed down our list.....I'm wondering which of the three towns we are considering you would recommend....We are looking for excellent schools, charming downtown, walkable town with sense of friendly community......We have two young kids and would love a friendly welcoming place to call home! Thanks!

Any other towns I may have overlooked? My husband needs to get to the Paramus area.....Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 06:37 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,340,870 times
Ridgewood is by far the easiest commute. As said before, Short Hills is part of Millburn.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:16 PM

3 posts, read 10,304 times
Westfield is beautiful, but going to Paramus is gonna be a pain.... stay in Ridgewood, Short Hills is also a long commute with traffic.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:06 PM

34 posts, read 175,087 times
I am in Ridgewood. Paramus is just a stone's throw away....and we meet all of the qualifications you listed.
Those other towns are lovely also but not too close to Paramus.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:30 AM

5,617 posts, read 13,389,329 times
The people in Ridgewood are very friendly. I still think of a bit on the artistic, creative, woodstock type at times but have money. They can be essentric but its all in fun. I don't find Ridgewood snotty, just a bit out there. SOmething about having tons of money and kookyness go well together. I have met so many different types from RIdgewood and its a great melting pot of people. From Doctors to artists.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:37 AM

Are you saying I am kooky???

You will hear from time to time that Ridgewood is full of snobs. Honestly, not everyone in Ridgewood has money...take me, for instance...
so not all of us are snotty. There are a handful of "stereotypical' Ridgewood snobs but I have seen those in towns much less affluent as well.

The school system carries a lot of prestige...when I went on my college interviews years ago, saying that I got B's at Ridgewood High School was like saying I got straight A plusses at any other school. The college recruiters were dying to get their hands on Ridgewood High School students.

The town is very family-oriented. Aside from schools, town sports and events are largely geared to families.
The downtown area is great.

Sounds to me like Ridgewood is what you are looking for. Home prices are decent now too....

Old 10-16-2007, 12:10 PM

276 posts, read 1,223,541 times
I live in Ridgewood and it is a very nice, family oriented town, and while I agree it is not "full of snobs" you will get your fair share of some obnoxiousness. You just need to decide what your tolerance level is for it. The first two years I lived here, it overwhelmed me, and I would up coming home from a playgroup or the playground in tears.

But now I've grown accustomed to it, and also realize that is is the price you pay for living in a town with great schools, fabulous recreational activities, and a family focused-atmosphere. Once I got over my initial pique with living in Stepford, I did find great people who will be lifelong friends.

This may sound ironic, but if you decide on moving to Ridgewood I highly recommend NOT pursuing the newcomer's club. This is where I encountered the majority of the pretentiousness I've experienced. Your standing in this group will be determined by how successful your spouse is and what he does for a living, namely what bank he works for. And if he doesn't work for a bank, prepare to get snubbed. You will fair much better by getting to know people by church/school activities or at the local parks.

You may want to note, since you have school age children, that there is an overcrowding problem in some of the elementary schools. I know a family who moved to Ridgewood over the summer who was told her child could not attend the kindergarten that was 3 blocks away from her home because the class was "full" and now the poor kid is in a different school than all her neighbors, with no guarantee of being able to move back to the nearer school eventually. This school was Somerville and i think the other school with this issue is Willard, but not 100% sure of this.

Westfield is Ridgewood is Westfield, they are that similar, so it makes no sense to live there if you are working in Paramus.

Also check out Glen Rock, which is a very pretty town next to Ridgewood. Great parks and summer pool, a little smaller than Ridgewood so higher taxes.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:58 PM

Quote:
This may sound ironic, but if you decide on moving to Ridgewood I highly recommend NOT pursuing the newcomer's club. This is where I encountered the majority of the pretentiousness I've experienced.
Agreed! I grew up here so I was aware of this before I had my own family. You are so right...

Old 10-17-2007, 04:41 AM

5,617 posts, read 13,389,329 times
I did not say snobby, I said looney. Thats a big difference, loons are fun!!!

Old 10-17-2007, 05:09 AM

25,455 posts, read 23,273,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
I did not say snobby, I said looney. Thats a big difference, loons are fun!!!

Yes they are, just look at me, I have so much fun I can't stand it...

Hugs Creme
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey