U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2008, 10:33 AM

1,990 posts, read 6,838,748 times

Advertisements

Hawthore has a train station and is a part of the NJ Main Line. The Main Line will take you to Secaucus Junction and Hoboken Terminal. You can get to Manhattan from there.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 12:30 PM

35 posts, read 202,616 times
Thanks Silkcity, I think the bus route is best for me since my office is one block away from Port Authority NYC bus terminal. My plan is to use the GS parkway exit 165 park&ride or head over to Wayne NJ to the route 23 park&ride. If anyone has any better suggestions to commute to NYC via bus, I would much appreciate it. Also, everyone, lets take it easy on the racial comments, it’s REALLY not necessary in today's environment. Of all the places I lived, NJ and NYC is one of the biggest melting pots and diverse places I have lived (which I happen to like). And face it, unless you buying new construction mansions in Norwood, saddle river or Alpine, then its only lines on a map to me.

Old 01-19-2008, 03:09 AM

3 posts, read 15,179 times
Default Hawthorne

a great town, I have lived there for almost a year, came from manhattan, and am very happy.ookd at homes in Ridgewood and Glen Rock, but could not justify the higher taxes, and prices. Hawthorne has a lot to offer in terms of location, price/value etc, . Most streets on Hawthorne are filled with older colonial homes just as senic as in Glen rock etc. If more people were a little "open minded", unlike dimples we would all be better off.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:07 PM

35 posts, read 202,616 times
Thanks borougboy for the insight....do you commute to Manhattan? if so, what means of transporation do you use and how long does it take you door to door? If not, no worries and I appreicate the comment.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:41 AM

1 posts, read 6,437 times
Philly,

There is limited bus service to NYC on Goffle road. It is the 148. It picks up along Goffle rd from midland Park. It then jumps on RT 208 heading towards the city. I take it from either Rock Road or across from the Dunkin Donuts. It is limited with only 4 buses in the morning the earliest being 6:44. The latest bus home is a 6:20. Parking is a bit of a challenge though.

There is free parking near the bus stop at Midland park. This is where the 148 originates. The 164 also runs from there so it is a good option if you mis the last 148 bus..

Good luck. I have been in Hawthorne for almost 2 years now and like it very much.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:12 PM

2 posts, read 12,120 times
Cpa247 after reading your reply to dimples 1 it is clear that your support the town of hawthorne being over run by hispanics. It is a known fact that once they move in to a town they spread out like roches. Regardless of what country dimples family may hail from certainly not latin, he or she makes a great point if you feel that way move to union city with brady,

Old 02-26-2009, 02:24 PM

2 posts, read 12,120 times
Default Hawthorne

Hawthorne is an old fashioned town, with good hard working people in it and they way they speak of there town they love it. As far as Ridgewood and Glenrock are concerned other then nicer centers of town its the meat and potatoes of the people that count. People who live in Hawthorne mostly 2nd and 3rd generations speak of love and admiration for the town. Yes, it needs to be re faced and some of the old time pride restored I can agree. There is no reason for it not to reflect the higher end towns it borders as opposed to Prospect Park, Paterson, which are both nasty towms . Everyone one in town the Mayor, the residents the store owners etc need to clean it up. We should replace the street lights in town with Street lamps, how about some flowers in planters at the base for starters! I agree we need to keep the hispanics and blacks out. If those of us here love it! Then we work to keep nice and clean our old girl up reface it , make it inviting and more modern invite busines in like star bucks, The Gap instead of a dollar store invite a higher end element in to town! If we do not follow towns like Glen Rock, midland Park etc it will become the ghetto sooner then later.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:41 PM

65 posts, read 247,626 times
Regarding the commute...

A close friend of mine lives in Hawthorne and commutes to midtown. She drives to Glen Rock and parks (you'd have to call Glen Rock about the parking requirements, but since she's not a resident I guess it's possible to do) and takes the bus to Port Authority. I believe the bus depot is in the same place as the Glen Rock Boro Hall train station.

Hope that helps and congrats on the home purchase (and pending engagement)! I'm putting my house on the market soon, so I'm glad to see there's some buyers in the area!

Old 03-05-2009, 10:41 AM

35 posts, read 154,803 times
I lived in Hawthorne for almost 2 years on Diamond Bridge Ave. in one of the apartments. It is very quiet and as a young person, it was very hard to meet anyone new. The people are mostly older or are people who have kids, so I didn't fit in, but the people are nice. The area is very safe and if you need the police, they are very helpful. There is a park off of goffle rd and diamond bridge and it's great to go there after work and the weekends.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:57 PM

2 posts, read 7,447 times
OMG I don't even know what to think anymore I'm going through the process of buying a home a just signed a contract of one in Hawthorne..This whole race thing is crazy..I'm white and my husband is Latino..so does that matter I have 2 children and what are they considered then? This is crazy..I must say that driving through Paterson did scare me and all the crime that I was reading about..But I think that Hawthorne is so so nice!! oh anybody... does the school system in passaic county differs so much from Bergen? really..One of the reasons that we are moving from queens NY is to avoid the catholic schools fees..and NJ is so much better with public schools right? So OMG are we doing the right thing...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey