U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2010, 12:56 AM

701 posts, read 1,438,117 times

Advertisements

Hawthorne is fine. I mean to be honest it is not as nice as Fair Lawn. It is far beneath Ridgewood and Glen Rock. But! it is a nice town and parts of it are very nice. It is a good alternative to Bergen County the town is fine. Its not my cup of tea just because of the people. They say The haledons and Hawthorne are to Paterson what Staten Island is to new york city lol. Again, its a fine place to live.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 06:36 AM

51,216 posts, read 50,499,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliben View Post
OMG I don't even know what to think anymore I'm going through the process of buying a home a just signed a contract of one in Hawthorne..This whole race thing is crazy..I'm white and my husband is Latino..so does that matter I have 2 children and what are they considered then? This is crazy..I must say that driving through Paterson did scare me and all the crime that I was reading about..But I think that Hawthorne is so so nice!! oh anybody... does the school system in passaic county differs so much from Bergen? really..One of the reasons that we are moving from queens NY is to avoid the catholic schools fees..and NJ is so much better with public schools right? So OMG are we doing the right thing...?
Hawthorne is a nice town. They have everything you need. One of the best things is that they have a beautiful town pool that was recently renovated--great if you have kids--and it's surrounded by a big park. Hawthorne was having a problem with illegal apartments in single or double-family homes renting out rooms to too many people, and over the past couple of years they've been sniffing them out and putting an end to this. I mean, they drive around at night looking for patterns of lighted basement windows, etc. They haul them into court and fine them up the kazoo, and the housing authority comes back to check to make sure the illegal setup has ended. Hawthorne is NOT Paterson by a long shot.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:51 AM

2,508 posts, read 5,262,395 times
Eliben-

Don't listen to wackos who post ignorant messages online, they typically don't live anywhere near any of the towns they post about and more often than not never come out of their basement. My wife and I just bought in Hawthorne as well. She grew up in the town and her parents have lived there for over 30 years. It is a great town. If you were lucky enough to do some research and get in the Thomas Jefferson Elementary District you'll be happy to know that it ranks in the Top 10 in the state for elementary schools(better than all surrounding towns except for one elementary school in Ridgewood). Middle and High Schools are not as good as surrounding towns of Ridgewood, Wyckoff and Glen Rock. The Middle and High School are about average for the state. As far as the town goes there are more desirable areas than others. The heights section is the best and most expensive, it's also the area served by Thomas Jefferson Elementary. The area between Rea Ave and Goffle Hill offers the same access to Thomas Jefferson and is a little less expensive. Both Bus( 163 and 148) or train (Main Line from Hawthorne Station) are the best bets to get into the city. Hope that helps and welcome to the neighborhood!

Old 06-14-2010, 06:12 AM

5 posts, read 11,015 times
I haven't read all the postings, so forgive me if this is a repeat. In Hawthorne, you can purchase a commuter train parking ticket for $2. Then you can take the train. My husband and I always commute to NYC via train when we need to go in. There is also a park-n-ride bus situation (I don't know much else about it) in Midland Park, in the Wortendyke section.
By the way, love Hawthorne. It's got a small town feel.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:09 AM

1 posts, read 2,021 times
Default keep the hispanics and balcks out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMERICA69 View Post
Hawthorne is an old fashioned town, with good hard working people in it and they way they speak of there town they love it. As far as Ridgewood and Glenrock are concerned other then nicer centers of town its the meat and potatoes of the people that count. People who live in Hawthorne mostly 2nd and 3rd generations speak of love and admiration for the town. Yes, it needs to be re faced and some of the old time pride restored I can agree. There is no reason for it not to reflect the higher end towns it borders as opposed to Prospect Park, Paterson, which are both nasty towms . Everyone one in town the Mayor, the residents the store owners etc need to clean it up. We should replace the street lights in town with Street lamps, how about some flowers in planters at the base for starters! I agree we need to keep the hispanics and blacks out. If those of us here love it! Then we work to keep nice and clean our old girl up reface it , make it inviting and more modern invite busines in like star bucks, The Gap instead of a dollar store invite a higher end element in to town! If we do not follow towns like Glen Rock, midland Park etc it will become the ghetto sooner then later.
It is a shame you feel that way! I'm a 48 year old Hispanic man that work in Hawthorne! I realize how prejudice some people can be around this parts! If you go to Puerto Rico with me my friend you won't believe how people will threat you, like if they knew you a long time and they won't look at you like you come from another planet! It is very unfortunate that you feel that way! I guess it must be fun to have you as a neighbor,and by the way I'm pretty sure you teach your children the same stereo type pattern you have been stuck on! Feel so sorry for you! Measure every word you say for it will go down on record in the book of life! Good luck explaining that to the Lord when your time is up! ta ta !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey