U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2007, 11:00 AM

41 posts, read 135,866 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Bergen County, have lived in Warren County for over 6 years now, and have friends in Middlesex County, Morris County, and Monmouth County. Middlesex is definately NOT a place I would look to bring a family to. The further east you go, the rougher the crowd in the middle and high schools.

I would look to Warren, Somerset, Morris, or Sussex County unless you absolutely need to be in Middlesex for work.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 02:02 PM

10 posts, read 32,537 times
Can you help me with what you mean by rough crowd? I think we do need to stay in Middlesex county. Does your friend there like her neighborhood and if so, which one is it? Thanks!

Old 10-18-2007, 09:34 PM

6 posts, read 22,329 times
Where you would like to live will ultimately depend on your priorities: commute, schools, budget. Usually, the closer you are to New York and the better the school system - the more expensive the housing. Princeton area offers housing options for different budgets, with towns like West Windsor and Montgomery Township being less expensive then Princeton and with excellent schools. It's always good to think of the re-sale value as well, even if you are planning to stay in your home for a long time. There are places in NJ that are better then others in this sense. Good luck and let me know if you need links to more information.

Old 10-20-2007, 03:41 AM

119 posts, read 166,228 times
Well, if you look at New Jersey Science League Competition, Edison schools won #1 on both Physics Competition and Chemistry Competition over hundreds of all other NJ high schools. Yes, including Princeton, Mongomery, West Windor ...etc mentioned above.

If you did a search of Edison on Craigslist (http://newjersey.craigslist.org/search/rfs?query=edison&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max - broken link), there is really no need to promote Edison. Besides, she was talking to move to Piscataway, and if you did a search on Craigslist (http://newjersey.craigslist.org/search/rfs?query=Piscataway&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max - broken link), it is also very good too.

Top 3 safest town in NJ and Top 28 best places to live in the nation makes Greater Edison/Piscataway a great choice ... When I did a search at other towns on Craigslist, I did not see many houses sold there. It would be great if residents of those towns or realtors of those towns can post some of the recent sales that way, new comers to NJ can at least get an idea which area is popular.

When I look at Craigslist (http://newjersey.craigslist.org/search/rfs?query=Piscataway&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max - broken link), and comparing different towns, there is reason to believe Greater Edison/Piscataway have high tech gurus yet with community service sense to help out new comers to get to know the area. Why other towns do NOT have this? (http://newjersey.craigslist.org/search/rfs?query=Piscataway&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max - broken link)

Last edited by ching1698; 10-20-2007 at 03:51 AM..

Old 10-24-2007, 09:47 PM

31 posts, read 93,267 times
Compared to Nashville...get ready for sticker shock on housing prices, exorbitant taxes, overcrowding, etc. Someone said Princeton, but you need close to $1Mill to afford a decent house there comparable to what you've probably had in Nashville.
You might be better off to look "in the middle" such as Freehold, Millstone, Manalapan.
Cheaper than Princeton and still easy commute to NYC, and just about anywhere in NJ.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:57 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,341,822 times
Kasey-I sent you a message.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:35 AM

Thanks for the advise. I am wondering what you guys think of Piscataway. We are looking to stay under 400K for a house. I have heard mention of River Rd area in Piscataway - anyone have an opinion on it? We're not looking to commute to NYC so that's not any part of our equation.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:16 PM

43 posts, read 143,321 times
KaseyM, River Rd in Piscataway is probably one of the nicer parts of that town. I wouldn't mind moving to Piscataway if I lived off River Rd. Piscataway has some really nice areas as well as some pretty shady areas too. I know b/c I've scoped around to look for a house there. I also have 3 kids (ages 6 & younger), so I understand your standards of family life. Quite honestly, I'm not sure if Piscataway would be my first choice. I currently live in a 2BR townhouse in East Brunswick. We're definately tight on space & looking to move soon, but I do LOVE East Brunswick alot. It's very family friendly & it was rated the 6th safest city in the whole country (not just NJ). If we had alot more $, I would love to stay in this town, but we need to move somewhere more affordable. So we're looking into South Brunswick. There you can get more house for the money. I hear the schools are excellent & it's a very safe & developing place. Everyone I know who lives in South Brunswick say that they love it there.

Anyway, North Edison is nice too. Houses are still overpriced though. I grew up in N.Edsn so I do appreciate that town for the good schools & family friendly atmosphere. I just wish we could afford it there.

Are you looking for a single family or townhouse/condo type? How many BR's? Those factors will play into your choice of town. Good luck.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:32 PM

We are looking for at least a 3br and 2.5 bath house. Also hoping for a basement (could be unfinished) and trying to stay under 400K. Also we need to stay fairly close to Rutgers, hence that is why we were thinking of Piscataway. Think it is going to be do-able?

Old 10-26-2007, 01:00 PM

43 posts, read 143,321 times
You can get something decent for 400K in Middlesex County. Not new construction, but decent. You might be able to get a basement too. Where in Rutgers is your husband's job? Livingston campus is right next to Piscataway, but Douglas campus is right next to East Brunswick. How far are you willing to drive for commuting? I wouldn't limit yourself to just Piscataway since there may be other towns you might prefer. You & your family should visit the area & scope out all the towns to get a better feel for it. You'll definately get a good sense of where you want to live once you arrive here.

When you buy a house here, just calculate the taxes b/c it's the highest in the nation. That's the only thing I don't like about NJ. Other than that, I enjoy living here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or