U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 11:27 AM

10 posts, read 32,550 times

Advertisements

Our family is moving to Middlesex county in the summer of 08 and I am looking for the best place to raise our family. We are thinking of Piscataway, but I'm still looking into schools, neighborhoods etc. Any advice would be great as currently we live in Nashville, TN. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 11:45 AM

119 posts, read 166,560 times
If you are planning to move to Piscataway NJ, you may be able to find lots of local information at Craigslist (http://newjersey.craigslist.org/search/rfs?query=piscataway&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max - broken link) Piscataway now have full day school for kids at 4 year old and above, and 3 Elementary schools of K to 3. Piscataway has 26 parks and many have huge new playground, e.g. Irishtown Park area at Mountain Ave and Wayne St near Grandview Elementary School (has two playground) has huge playground, hockey ring, McNield Baseball Field (and league), brand new basketball court and tennis court. So, if you found a house near park like this, your kids will sure to be very happy, so are you for many years to come.

Nearby town Edison (http://newjersey.craigslist.org/search/rfs?query=edison&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max - broken link) was ranked 3rd safest town in NJ and very diversitified, and more expensive than Piscataway. Both schools are very good. Other towns around are Metuchen, South Plainfield, Middlesex, Highland Park... suround huge Middlesex Mall and Hardley Shopping Center and miles away are luxury Menlo Park Mall and Bridgewater Mall.

If you love single family houses, you will find some good deals in these towns because many buyers in these town are professionals working at NYC by train and seemed to prefer condos and townhouses since not much time to maintain yard and snow ...etc. If your kids are small, you can get a 2br or 3br ranch at very good price, and raised it to 5br 3hba 2ga later at more affordable cost. keep in mind that expand UP would normally be fine and easy since within building envelope (so I mentioned ranch), but if you got a small house with already two stories, you want to make sure the land is big enough to have big enough building envelope to expand later.

Otherwise, if you want, you can also buy new 4br/5br houses at Piscataway. The ones may be very attractive to families like yours are the new development right next to JFK Library, and to be built brand new YMCA Piscataway center... Those houses are around $500k to $600k. If you need more rooms but with lower cost, bi-level can give you 4br/5br easily.

If you planning to rent, be aware that Rutgers Univ and UMDNJ are nearby, and Aug and Sept students all coming back, so rental very tight, so if you planning to rent, you may want to come one or two months earlier when students are on vacation.

If you plan to come over NJ to check out, you may be able to got to priceline.com to bid 3* hotel at Somerset, NJ area at $33 to get this wonderful Crown Plaza Hotel (broken link) used to be Somerset Marriott.

Last edited by ching1698; 10-16-2007 at 12:20 PM..

Old 10-16-2007, 02:08 PM

10 posts, read 32,550 times
Thank you so much - I really appreciate all your info. Have a great day!

Old 10-16-2007, 02:40 PM

329 posts, read 1,312,758 times
Very useful. iformative post Ching.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:00 PM

5 posts, read 22,314 times
piscataway is not the nicest place to live in Middlesex County, don't get me wrong it's not a slum but there are nicer places nearby such as East Brunswick, South Brunswick, or Old Bridge.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:06 PM

119 posts, read 166,560 times
If you do not mind the traffic on Rt 18, East Brunswick is in fact a good school district, and, of course, very high property tax (65% of property tax roughly go to school tax in NJ). They have better Special Kid program than Piscataway. I have a friend who sold the house at Piscataway and move to East Brunswick because of Special Kid program there. They also have very good Orchestra, I saw them in the music festival. They are one of three got top award, other two are Piscataway High School and West Winsor.

If you do not mind to hit traffic on Rt 1, South Brunswick would be a newer town. My friend who used to work at Toyota Avenel as senior mechenics bought a house there, and decided to change job to Toyota Dayton because of the traffic. Now, he is happier because he built a garage at his backyard can fit 8 cars, and now work from home, so Rt 1 traffic does not bother him any more. Since it is new town, everything is new! e.g. the above mentioned music festival held at brand new South Brunswick High School. Peter's wife Tracy also said their 3 kids love the brand new Elementary School too. However, two years later after they moved over, now Piscataway's 10 schools all have many new classroom, expansion. Not long ago, I went to Piscataway High School to see the Foodball Game and could not believe my eyes, brand new everything!!! It is even better than Watchung Hills Regional High School. Got to check it out.

Old Bridge is on the East end, more rural, however, also more affordable. My friend working at JP Morgan Chase used to live there and now bought a big house at PA. He really miss Old Bridge because traffic on I-78 from PA to New Port Jersey City, NJ really killing as he complained.

One great educational resources other area do not have is the largest Public University is at Piscataway area where kids can join, say, Rutgers Youth Orchestra, or even Rutgers Symfonia (open to high school students, mostly Rutgers music major students). There are many high quality concerts every week or two thru out the season and mostly FREE (well, they charge $50 to $75 when perform in Lincoln Center or Carnigie Hall at NYC). Rutgers U also got huge stadium with all kind of sports game, football, basketball, ...etc. that if you want just a condo or townhouse, Society Hill Piscataway (broken link) with playground, swimming pool, tennis court and right next to Rutgers Univ, is currently the best priced area.

If you want to stay closer to these 3 towns and also check them out, you can bid 3* hotel at New Brunswick NJ at priceline.com at $40 to get this wonderful Hyatt Regency, one block to train station. If you bid $40 on 2.5* hotel at South Brunswick NJ area, you will get wonderful Hyatt Place suite of Rt 1 and right next to Market Fair Mall with complimentary breakfast and 42" flat TV in room that can play DVD and hook up to complimentary Internet access. And, you can detour to visit famous Princeton Univ that has a very nice child library within the big library that kids would love alot.

Last edited by ching1698; 10-16-2007 at 11:17 PM..

Old 10-17-2007, 05:54 AM

5,079 posts, read 7,250,374 times
Also, check out Somerset County. There are a lot of great school districts there. Don't limit yourself to Middlesex County.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:33 AM

222 posts, read 912,120 times
There's a lot of realtors on this board pushing Edison. Its not that great. I worked there for 4 years. There's a ton of traffic and quite a bit of diversity, not always in a good sense.

New Jersey is a lot smaller then Tennesee, so you really need to give us where your job(s) will be and what your commute tolerance is for us to give you some good ideas.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:22 AM

4 posts, read 12,197 times
KaseyM~ If you would like school reports or neighborhood reports I can email to you. You need to make a wish list of the type of house you want, including # of bedrooms, baths, price range, maximum amount of time you will commute, the importance of the local school system etc. Once you get your wish list together you can then be advised on which towns would suit your needs. I would love to help!

Old 10-18-2007, 07:05 AM

4 posts, read 13,928 times
Princeton is a very good town to live in. THe schooling in Princeton is very good. We have one of the best high school's in mercer conunty. There is a public private middle and elementry school that is called Princeton Charter school. Its the 1st ranked in all of charter schools in NJ.
And people who live in Princeton are very nice. It is expensive to live in NJ, but its worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or