U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2007, 05:48 PM

5 posts, read 22,301 times

Advertisements

Recently I have been having to make frequent trips to Seton Hall in South Orange. Does anyone know of the safest way to get to the school coming from the south on the parkway? I know the most direct way is to get off at exit 144 but then I feel like I will get shot driving down South Orange Ave especially since alot of times I come home late at night. Another route I found was to get off the parkway at exit 145 take 280 to exit 11B and follow Central Ave straight to the school. I find this way to be better than South Orange Ave but it still seems like a ghetto for the first 2 miles after I exit 280 but before I enter South Orange. I would like to know though if this route is really as bad as it appears. Other than those 2 routes, does anyone else know of a possible safer or atleast (yes I sound like a *****) a route that is not quite as scary?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 11:39 PM

119 posts, read 166,228 times
I have been that area often and there is a very good orchestra at South Orange Middle School, and pass the train station is Seton Hall Univ which has nice cafeteria and libraries; people there are nice.

What it really made you feel bad was the trash, but if you call the Health Department of the town to send inspector, they will enforce and make all the stores to clean and town to clean too. Then, you will have a very good feeling driving thru.

That's exactly what we did at Piscataway and Edison area. There used to be hundreds of pot holes at Mountain Av and Birch Run Rd area, and trash, so we call township health department inspectors, and they came to enforced, and eventually, no trash, township even repaved many roads in the area and put sidewalks. They also make vacant lands to trim the grass ...etc.

So, we did the same thing on Edison and request Health Dept to send inspector on all aparments like Edison Village, Blueberry Village ..., then you see all convenient stores parking lot picked up and shine, and also Public Works to patch pot holes, and call Mayor office to repave the Brunswick Ave, now they finally repaving the whole area, and many parking lots also repaved, same as some apartment complex.

At the beginning, Edison Mayor Office said no budget to repave, so I invite all listing agents who have business in the area to encourage them to call Mayor Office to invite Mayor to inspect the road to see if it needs to be repaved. (It is very easy to do this in South Orange area as well, you just go to realtor.com and send email to listing agent and they will agree that a clean road without trash and repaved road without pot holes will help their real estate business, and they will call township health department and public works too, in the worst case, they will call mayor directly.

Why detour? Get the road clean and nice.

Now, we even ask mayor office to contact County Traffic Department and State Highway Authority to repave Fwy 287 and various Exit to Piscataway area. At the beginning, they said it is NOT township's responsibility, but apparently politician knows better burautic than residents, so we ask mayor to call county to call state to get them done. Why? Piscataway realtors will tell mayor, even if it is not Piscataway township's responsibility, but nice clean exits to Piscataway will definitely make prospective buyers have great impression and fresh view of the town; therefore, help local real estate business. By the way, I have to say Mayor of Piscataway is wonderful, he now even went farther to invite many more business to Piscataway, so I believe soon many more companies will move to Piscataway, like AT&T just set a huge Data Center here...

I am sure South Orange Mayor would agree too, so save the phone number of township Health Dept and Public Works Dept in your cell phone like we advised Piscataway High School Environmental Club students to do, whenever they see trash, long grass, call Health Dept to send inspector. Whenever they see pot holes, call Public Works to patch.

Last edited by ching1698; 10-16-2007 at 11:48 PM..

Old 10-18-2007, 07:11 PM

5 posts, read 22,301 times
yes that is a good idea but unfortunatley it will not happen overnight. So does anyone else know of a safer way to get to the school?

Old 10-19-2007, 08:42 AM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
460 posts, read 1,961,266 times
The best route from where you are coming from will be the 145 off the GSP to 280 then take exit 11B and take Central Ave down -- other than that the South Orange Ave route through the Vailsburg section might be your alternative....but at night I will definitely feel more safe driving on Central Ave than South Orange Ave....stay in the middle lane keep your doors locked, be observant and watch out for any strange things especially kids/teenagers hanging out at the the traffic lights.

I have friends who used to live on South Munn in the Vailsburg section by the park about 10mins from Seton Hall --- one almost got his car stolen by some kids at a traffic light on South Orange Ave....they threw a brick at the driver side window at a stop sign --- thinking he was going to get out the car but he just run the red light instead went home and called the cops...the kids were never found but apparently its a trick they use to steal cars.

Yes the area is 100% ghetto has been and will be - because aint nothing being done about it..!!!

===============

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekc1186 View Post
Recently I have been having to make frequent trips to Seton Hall in South Orange. Does anyone know of the safest way to get to the school coming from the south on the parkway? I know the most direct way is to get off at exit 144 but then I feel like I will get shot driving down South Orange Ave especially since alot of times I come home late at night. Another route I found was to get off the parkway at exit 145 take 280 to exit 11B and follow Central Ave straight to the school. I find this way to be better than South Orange Ave but it still seems like a ghetto for the first 2 miles after I exit 280 but before I enter South Orange. I would like to know though if this route is really as bad as it appears. Other than those 2 routes, does anyone else know of a possible safer or atleast (yes I sound like a *****) a route that is not quite as scary?

Old 10-20-2007, 06:22 PM

9 posts, read 27,274 times
Yes ...take 280 to exit Center Street/Orange exit.....Center Street will take you directly to Seton Hall entrance. My son attends the college as well. Also, Never and I say never consider walking to stores in Newark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or