Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 07:29 AM

92 posts, read 344,815 times

Advertisements

Here's a nice resource for parents, not only in Princeton, but the surrounding area:

PrincetonKIDS - Keeping Kids on the Go and Parents in the Know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 09:15 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessmom View Post
After extensive research I've come to the conclusion that, for grade school, WW-P prepares their students slightly better than their counterparts in Princeton, but kids going to Princeton get the opportunity to know the kids of very knowledgeable people at the top of their fields (which gives the opportunity of a good recommendation letter or to maybe sit with them and talk about subjects of common interest)...

Please comment.

Thanks,

CM
CM, I think that at the grade school stage, the importance of networking is a little overstated. That said, I have 2 kids in WW-P schools (and put an older one through Lawrenceville), and I believe either WW-P or Princeton is fine in terms of quality of education. I also PMd you some info about a chess club in our area.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:40 PM

53 posts, read 64,703 times
Thanks Lucario. We are going to that tournament. Seems fun!

I agree with you about networking at that age, but I don't want to have to move if I regret my decision later. Do you know of any chess club especially for kids?. One where they have lectures and game time, and that they don't end after 9pm on weekdays?

Thanks

Old 12-27-2012, 06:46 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Honestly I think you are just splitting hairs at this point. Will you regret your decision? Only if you let yourself. You have no way of knowing which would turn out better and you will have no way of knowing if the other would have been better. But if you focus on that instead of the positives of whichever one you choose you will probably "regret" no matter what happens.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:18 PM

My train of thought is the following. WWP schools (middle [Community] and high [North] schools) constantly perform better than their Princeton counterparts in both math competitions and standarized test state wide. That means kids are better prepared at home or teachers (or school system) have better methods. Either way both are good indicators.
On the other hand, Princeton HS sends more graduates to Ivy League schools than any other HS in the country. I think, but im not sure, that part of that is because parents are Alumni or current Faculty at Princeton. If I am correct, there might be a number of kids accepted at These very prestigious Universities thanks to "contacts", for example, a kid studies math with the grandson of a novel laurete. He sees how good the kid is and writes him a recommendation letter for college. I was wondering if there was anyone here that could tell me if things like that happened or if it is the complete opposite.
Might be worth mentioning that both of my kids are math/science oriented, that's why my research has been solely focused on math.

CM

Old 12-27-2012, 10:24 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
My train of thought is the following. WWP schools (middle [Community] and high [North] schools) constantly perform better than their Princeton counterparts in both math competitions and standarized test state wide. That means kids are better prepared at home or teachers (or school system) have better methods. Either way both are good indicators.
On the other hand, Princeton HS sends more graduates to Ivy League schools than any other HS in the country. I think, but im not sure, that part of that is because parents are Alumni or current Faculty at Princeton. If I am correct, there might be a number of kids accepted at These very prestigious Universities thanks to "contacts", for example, a kid studies math with the grandson of a novel laurete. He sees how good the kid is and writes him a recommendation letter for college. I was wondering if there was anyone here that could tell me if things like that happened or if it is the complete opposite.
Might be worth mentioning that both of my kids are math/science oriented, that's why my research has been solely focused on math.

CM
All in all, it's really a crapshoot. There could be lots of reasons all of your meticulous preparation from age 5 or so might end up in your kids getting into.....Columbia, Penn, NYU or God forbid, Rutgers. Lots of kids from WWP North and South and Princeton HS going to Rutgers now........

Old 12-28-2012, 04:20 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
All in all, it's really a crapshoot. There could be lots of reasons all of your meticulous preparation from age 5 or so might end up in your kids getting into.....Columbia, Penn, NYU or God forbid, Rutgers. Lots of kids from WWP North and South and Princeton HS going to Rutgers now........
Yes; that's something you want to avoid.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:24 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:

CM
I went to WWP and attended Princeton University if IVY is really that important to you. Many students from WWP go to good schools.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:40 AM

513 posts, read 1,166,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Yes; that's something you want to avoid.
You are so right! What's wrong with these folks? Where do you begin? Haha!

Old 12-30-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I went to WWP and attended Princeton University if IVY is really that important to you. Many students from WWP go to good schools.
Well... is not important to me... but it will be important to my kids... if they decide to go a different route it will be their choice. I would like to give them the tools to be able to go any route they may find suitable... I think we are going with WWP... we'll see... thanks for all the help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey