Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2012, 10:02 AM

2 posts, read 2,952 times

Advertisements

I am using the questions template

I would need to relocate to NJ in January. Looking for helpful pointers..mainly good neighborhoods to look for an apartment.

Where are you coming from? Cincinnati OH
Why are you moving? For Work
Where will you be working ? Hoboken NJ
Will you buy or rent? Rent
What is your budget ? Below 1500
What kind of place are you looking for ? Prefer apartments. Are places with garages a pipe dream?
Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? Spouse
Do you need/want good public schools? No

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in: Safe, with some nature/parks

three things that are important to you in order of importance:
safety,short commute to hoboken,easy parking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 10:47 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manumaan View Post
I am using the questions template

I would need to relocate to NJ in January. Looking for helpful pointers..mainly good neighborhoods to look for an apartment.

Where are you coming from? Cincinnati OH
Why are you moving? For Work
Where will you be working ? Hoboken NJ
Will you buy or rent? Rent
What is your budget ? Below 1500
What kind of place are you looking for ? Prefer apartments. Are places with garages a pipe dream?
Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? Spouse
Do you need/want good public schools? No

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in: Safe, with some nature/parks

three things that are important to you in order of importance:
safety,short commute to hoboken,easy parking
Some apartment complexes have garages available. I had one in Woodland Park, NJ, where I lived from the mid-80s to mid-90s. That might be a little farther from Hoboken than you want it to be, but it is also likely that you do not realize that you might have to live a little farther from Hoboken than you think. Many people from outside the area do not understand Jersey's density and the layout of urban v. suburban. Anyway, they have garages available, and if you are looking for parks, there are two huge ones in that town. Also, NJ has a lot of nice state parks for hiking/nature.

Westmount Village Apartments - Woodland Park Apartments For Rent | Woodland Park, NJ 07424

For something a little closer, check out Rutherford, NJ. There are apartment complexes there, one of which is near the train station. It's a 20-minute train ride to Hoboken.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:45 PM

26 posts, read 52,885 times
Hoboken is a great town to live and work in. Try finding an apartment there, and save on your commuting costs. Also, a new job, relocating to a new area--it's all very stressful. Living close to work makes it simpler.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:51 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abby3804 View Post
Hoboken is a great town to live and work in. Try finding an apartment there, and save on your commuting costs. Also, a new job, relocating to a new area--it's all very stressful. Living close to work makes it simpler.
But the OP said his budget was "below $1500". That rules out living in Hoboken.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:53 PM

26 posts, read 52,885 times
One more thought, $1500 is tight for many areas around here, but in Hoboken, you could give up a car (or definitely share one with your spouse) and save on commute. Commutes can be really expensive here. My husband spends over $500 to get from Princeton to Hoboken daily by train--not including gas and car to train station.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:15 PM

248 posts, read 534,984 times
Bayonne. I grew up there. close to Hoboken and cheaper rent.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:29 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,881,652 times
The core problem is you have to make a tradeoff between green space and commute time.

For a quick commute, Weehawken.

For a bit less quick commute but cheaper (and less dense), Bayonne

For a compromise between commute and space, the closer in suburbs (Kearny up north through Rutherford).

For more substantial green space and an ugly commute (seriously consider being somewhere you can take the train rather than drive if you go this route), the further out suburbs - you have a ton of choice here and I don't even know where to start.

edit: reading mightyqueen's post more thoroughly, if the train from Rutherford only takes 20 minutes to reach Hoboken that is 100% your best option, no competition.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:17 PM

18 posts, read 39,252 times
obviously "safe" is a very subjective term and in bergen county that "safety" can change from one end of town to another. but some towns i'd look into finding a place for under $1500, commuting to hoboken

cliffside park
fairview
union city/north bergen (parking generally sucks)
carlstadt/rutherford
nutley

the closer you are to nyc, like hoboken. you can expect a urban feel. and a garage in this area is a pipe dream (for 1500). what might appease you is, a newer built apt building that has its own dedicated garage. edgewater/port imperial will be above your budget, but a great fit.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,209 times
i also am relocating to nj but from ny , i have some question im planning on moving to budd lake what is a estimate on utility bills in this area water,electric,gas,heat , car insurance , i am buying my home. taxes are very high im scared utility will be high as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey