Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 11:20 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by new jersey mike View Post
so unless you have bumper sticker that says honk if you love Jesus then the people are just idiots.
You may have just solved the problem. I suggest the OP get a bumper sticker that says "honk if you think I'm sexy". Then just sit back and take the compliments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 06:40 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
You may have just solved the problem. I suggest the OP get a bumper sticker that says "honk if you think I'm sexy". Then just sit back and take the compliments.
That's a great idea!

Old 01-05-2013, 12:42 PM

912 posts, read 2,446,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new jersey mike View Post
I looked at the satellite view and it is not a right only, so unless you have bumper sticker that says honk if you love Jesus then the people are just idiots.
Although it's great to post here, I personally would make my next effort with a phone call to the
Plainsboro Police Department and report the issue and intersection. I have found if you take the time, they will take the time.
641 Plainsboro Road, Plainsboro Township, NJ (609) 799-2333 ‎
Even if it was a right turn only lane, it still doesn't matter. Nobody has to make a right turn on red. And as I've mentioned, the best way to ensure I will not make a right turn on red is to honk at me. That pretty much guarantees I'll be sitting there 'til she turns green, then make a (very) slow and cautious start.

Personally, I wish we could get rid of it altogether, at least on state highways (like Rt. 70, etc.). Most intersections these days are too busy and too dangerous for it anyway. Isn't that law just a relic from the wake of the '70s gas crisis?

Old 01-05-2013, 05:50 PM

1,094 posts, read 883,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
There is one Intersection (that is poorly marked). I go thru daily. It has no lane markings, But the light has a right turn arrow, (also No Right on Red Signs). I need to go straight thru the intersection, But if i keep to the left so car can get by me on the right I won't be on the induction coil in the road, The "light" Does not see/feel me there and will never give me a green light to go straight (or left) at that intersection. So I just camp out on the middle of the lane (on the coil) so the light will change for me. The Green arrow is on but I just sit there and wait. (More or less blocking the lane). Cars use to go around on the right on to someone lawn, but DOT put on Metal pole there to stop them from doing that. And more then a few times someone has gone round me on the left and turned in front of me.

I called the DOT engineering dept about moving the induction coil & striping the lane, but traffic code does not allow it due to lane being not wide enough to allow two legal lanes.
A right turn green arrow is not allowed under the new MUTCD without a separate right turn lane, unless the right turn arrow begins and ends at the same times as the circular green.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:26 PM

386 posts, read 871,879 times
I thought it was always allowed unless there is a "Stop here on red" or "No turn on red" sign.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:43 AM

912 posts, read 2,446,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Sporano View Post
I thought it was always allowed unless there is a "Stop here on red" or "No turn on red" sign.
It is allowed. It is not required, however. If someone does not want to to turn right on red where it is legal to do so, that is perfectly fine. There is no obligation to turn right on red, regardless of how the intersection/lane is marked.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:39 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
It is allowed. It is not required, however. If someone does not want to to turn right on red where it is legal to do so, that is perfectly fine. There is no obligation to turn right on red, regardless of how the intersection/lane is marked.
And further, which is the OP's situation, if it's not a right-turn-only lane, a person who is not turning at all can use it.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:07 PM

18 posts, read 39,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen59 View Post
I frequently drive down two different two-lane-each-direction roads that have red lights every quarter/half mile or so. In no way is the right lane marked 'right turn only'. In fact one of the roads has a sign 'slow traffic keep right'.

Now, there are some intersections leading to big housing developments, and it seems that the right hand turn is very popular on these. But I am going straight.

I've had more and more occasions in the past year or so where drivers honk repeatedly (sometimes a line of drivers!) because I don't turn right on red at these intersections.

Am I doing something wrong? For awhile, I tried pulling into the left lane a quarter mile before these intersections, but the left lane is crowded and it goes fast (faster than I want to go). Also, at one of these intersections--the most popular one really, and the one where people honk at me most often--my right turn comes up only a few hundred yards and it's hard to get back into the right lane.

Both roads are marked 50 mph. I have examined this intersections repeatedly for any type of right turn arrows; they aren't marked that way. It just seems everyone but me wants to go right, and quickly!
if the right lane is not marked right turn only, you have the right to go straight in that lane. people behind are just frustrated.

although as a nice person, i would avoid sitting in the right lane while everyone behind me is vying to make that right.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:13 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,002 times
8 pages on making a right turn on red? You never can tell what topics will take off sometimes!

Old 01-09-2013, 01:31 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,024,975 times
I hate when the school bus in front of me DOES NOT turn right on the red, at an intersection which you are always allowed to. It is better when you have yield ramps that "bypass" the light for right turns. I wish they would put that on all intersections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey