Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 01:12 PM

291 posts, read 973,531 times

Advertisements

I think it would be helpful if you could give us an idea of what towns you consider NOT "down to earth"--one person's idea of down to earth is clearly not another's. I live in Wyckoff and have found most people here to be relatively down to earth and nice, but I know it has a general reputation for being snobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
Some parts of Mahwah are definitely NOT what the OP is looking for with regards to "keeping up with the Jones." The Fardale Section near Franklin Lakes and the Rio Vista area have too many million dollar homes to allow Mahwah to be in the "down-to-earth" category. The other part of town, especially near the Suffern border is a different story. The homes there are much more older and modest than what has been built in the town since the 1980s. Hence, if the OP is considering Mahwah, he or she should definitely look into what part of Mahwah is being considered.
I don't think that living in an expensive home/neighborhood necessarily means that people are not down to earth. I've met many people with very expensive homes who are some of the nicest, most "normal" people I know, and others who have a fraction of the money/home value but are far more obsessed with material things and keeping up with the Jonses. Sometimes the people with the most money have the least to prove, and are less concerned with everyone knowing that they have money, KWIM?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 07:11 PM

7 posts, read 33,783 times
LOL! I agree totally. Being originally from Union County, I can't beleive that I am actually living here.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:16 PM

7 posts, read 33,783 times
Hi JerseyJersey,

Wyckoff I like, from what I know about it. What do you or anyone else, think of Ho Ho Kus?

Old 01-02-2013, 07:59 PM

667 posts, read 1,737,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LOL, I used to write some articles for the Glen Rock Gazette and met a lot of people at community activities in that town. If ever a Bergen County town could be described as NOT having great community spirit and as having a "keep up with the Jones" attitude, it is Glen Rock. Biggest snobs to one another I ever met. I have an acquaintance who works in the school system, too--won't say her position, but she's more than a teacher. She would verify that, as well. Says the parents are absolutely hellish to deal with due to their sense of superiority and entitlement.

Not sure how things are in Oradell or River Edge. Don't know people there. You would do better in some of the less fancy towns like Midland Park or Waldwick, or the more southern BC towns like Rutherford or Lyndhurst if that's what you are looking for. Fair Lawn is another good choice. Bigger in population and area than some of the others, but very community-minded.
Wow, MQ really? I wonder how your friend would 'verify that'? I'm glad I didn't follow your same tip a couple of years ago when I was shopping for a home. We Love Glen Rock and for you to emphasize that it doesn't have a great community spirit is down right harsh based on a stint at the old gazette and your one school teacher friend who chooses to share that type of criticism? Not the fact that it's considered one of the top school districts in the state. MQ, I would never say the same about your past community in MP or original RW home or your new locale (heck, even your daughter would tell you not to be so judgmental . We did a ton of looking around before we landed here and in our almost 2 years here have only the best to say. So sorry you're still so bitter.

To the OP, this whole thing about 'snobs' is a bit silly. As if snobbery exists in restricted purely by zip code. Some folks match up the higher income communities with a high snob level as a way to make themselves feel better? We work pretty darn hard and this is not Beverly Hills. We've met physicians, educators, electricians, plumbers, wall street guys, entrepreneurs and also know a few families going thru some difficult financial hardships that love this town. All in all, as American as apple pie. Tons of young families, a nice safe downtown and a very active town. While we have high property taxes, we also get great services and the community has met our expectations. Do your homework. Talk to the folks in town. Go and visit the schools. Come visit our library or take a stroll thru our town center. Talk to the many kids downtown who call this home and get their perspective. Good Luck on your search.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:03 PM

912 posts, read 2,438,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjersey View Post
Sometimes the people with the most money have the least to prove, and are less concerned with everyone knowing that they have money, KWIM?
I tend to agree with this. The town where I used to live has a few very wealthy parts on the water and a few working class parts inland. Over the years I lived in degrees of both. I found my neighbors were friendlier, more comfortable with themselves and their lives, and generally happier in the wealthier section.

I also felt that there was a better sense of community in the wealthier area because people had more in common with one another and all came from similar backgrounds. There was less in the way of competition and far less conflict between neighbors because you weren't dealing with issues like someone's loud/ugly work truck parking outside your house, unkempt properties, unchecked code violations, etc. In other words, people had more manners and common sense.

People also seemed to enjoy life a bit more with less to worry about.

If that makes me a snob, so be it.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:12 PM

87,979 posts, read 83,789,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfsr1544 View Post
Wow, MQ really? I wonder how your friend would 'verify that'? I'm glad I didn't follow your same tip a couple of years ago when I was shopping for a home. We Love Glen Rock and for you to emphasize that it doesn't have a great community spirit is down right harsh based on a stint at the old gazette and your one school teacher friend who chooses to share that type of criticism? Not the fact that it's considered one of the top school districts in the state. MQ, I would never say the same about your past community in MP or original RW home or your new locale (heck, even your daughter would tell you not to be so judgmental . We did a ton of looking around before we landed here and in our almost 2 years here have only the best to say. So sorry you're still so bitter.

To the OP, this whole thing about 'snobs' is a bit silly. As if snobbery exists in restricted purely by zip code. Some folks match up the higher income communities with a high snob level as a way to make themselves feel better? We work pretty darn hard and this is not Beverly Hills. We've met physicians, educators, electricians, plumbers, wall street guys, entrepreneurs and also know a few families going thru some difficult financial hardships that love this town. All in all, as American as apple pie. Tons of young families, a nice safe downtown and a very active town. While we have high property taxes, we also get great services and the community has met our expectations. Do your homework. Talk to the folks in town. Go and visit the schools. Come visit our library or take a stroll thru our town center. Talk to the many kids downtown who call this home and get their perspective. Good Luck on your search.
Bitter? I'm not bitter whatsoever--the GR snobs didn't bother ME in the least--I didn't live there. It was merely my observation, not judgmentalism, of how they talked down and about one another that I found disturbing and some unsavory or disrespectful behavior I saw during certain community events by the people who are supposed to be in leadership positions (for example, toward elderly veterans--perhaps you don't share the same sentiments, but to me that's a real GRRRRR). And bear in mind that this was eight or so years ago--those same people may not be in those positions. The friend--she's more than a schoolteacher, as I indicated, but I don't want to give any identifying information, has constant issues with parents not accepting that their precious pumpkins got a C or even a B in certain classes and she is dealing with angry snobbish parents and constant threats to "fix" things. It doesn't sound too nice at all. Sorry if these are not things you want to know about your town, but they are/were very real there.

It's good that you seem to have found a sense of real community there. Since you are very new to the town, perhaps others like you have brought change. Contrary to what you seem to think, I am GLAD to hear that not everyone fits the description and that you have a different POV to give the OP. I hate to see such attitudes prevail and define any town.

And um, I never lived in Ridgewood, except for maybe the first five days of my life at Valley!

Old 01-04-2013, 01:16 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,047,739 times
Quote:
Bitter? I'm not bitter whatsoever--the GR snobs didn't bother ME in the least--I didn't live there. It was merely my observation, not judgmentalism, of how they talked down and about one another that I found disturbing and some unsavory or disrespectful behavior (for example, toward elderly veterans--perhaps you don't share the same sentiments, but to me that's a real GRRRRR) I saw during certain community events by the people who are supposed to be in leadership positions. (And bear in mind that this was eight or so years ago--those same people may not be in those positions.) The friend--she's more than a schoolteacher, as I indicated, but I don't want to give any identifying information, has constant issues with parents not accepting that their precious pumpkins got a C or even a B in certain classes and she is dealing with angry snobbish parents and constant threats to "fix" things. It doesn't sound too nice at all. Sorry if these are not things you want to know about your town, but they are ongoing and very real there.

It's good that you seem to have found a sense of real community there. Since you are very new to the town, perhaps others like you have brought change. Contrary to what you seem to think, I am GLAD to hear that not everyone fits the description and that you have a different POV to give the OP. I hate to see such attitudes prevail and define any town.

And um, I never lived in Ridgewood, except for maybe the first five days of my life at Valley!
It's been a while since I lived in the area but MQ is right to some extent. First off all the towns in the area are very desirable with great schools, downtowns, etc. GR has a number of Ridgewood wannabes who form their own sub-set of snobs. Kind of similar to Wyckoff not quite being Franklin Lakes (or USR not being Saddle River). You notice it more from the more "middle class" (not sure if that exists in B.C. much anymore) areas of the county than you do if you're "part of it." When we were teens all you had to do is look at the BMW ratio of the HS parking lots compared to the Fords & Buicks in more middle class areas.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Bitter? I'm not bitter whatsoever--the GR snobs didn't bother ME in the least--I didn't live there. It was merely my observation, not judgmentalism, of how they talked down and about one another that I found disturbing and some unsavory or disrespectful behavior I saw during certain community events by the people who are supposed to be in leadership positions (for example, toward elderly veterans--perhaps you don't share the same sentiments, but to me that's a real GRRRRR). And bear in mind that this was eight or so years ago--those same people may not be in those positions. The friend--she's more than a schoolteacher, as I indicated, but I don't want to give any identifying information, has constant issues with parents not accepting that their precious pumpkins got a C or even a B in certain classes and she is dealing with angry snobbish parents and constant threats to "fix" things. It doesn't sound too nice at all. Sorry if these are not things you want to know about your town, but they are/were very real there.

And um, I just based it on your so may posts when people mention RW you have so much to say. My town is only 10K + MQ. You get to know people pretty quickly. Two years would give me a pretty good idea. But to judge the whole town based on some idiots is silly don't you think? The way you continue to talk down my town in itself makes you the nob to be honest. You're not getting my point to begin with. There are snobs everywhere darling. I've lived in the ghetto. I can vouch for it and take you there if you'd like and really 'verify it'. Thank God for my little pumpkins.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
It's been a while since I lived in the area but MQ is right to some extent. First off all the towns in the area are very desirable with great schools, downtowns, etc. GR has a number of Ridgewood wannabes who form their own sub-set of snobs. Kind of similar to Wyckoff not quite being Franklin Lakes (or USR not being Saddle River). You notice it more from the more "middle class" (not sure if that exists in B.C. much anymore) areas of the county than you do if you're "part of it." When we were teens all you had to do is look at the BMW ratio of the HS parking lots compared to the Fords & Buicks in more middle class areas.
Sad to report, plenty of Beamers in Waldwick nowadays EBWick (just check the Nellies parking lot alone)... there goes the 'hood.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:18 AM

87,979 posts, read 83,789,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfsr1544 View Post
And um, I just based it on your so may posts when people mention RW you have so much to say. My town is only 10K + MQ. You get to know people pretty quickly. Two years would give me a pretty good idea. But to judge the whole town based on some idiots is silly don't you think? The way you continue to talk down my town in itself makes you the nob to be honest. You're not getting my point to begin with. There are snobs everywhere darling. I've lived in the ghetto. I can vouch for it and take you there if you'd like and really 'verify it'. Thank God for my little pumpkins.
Once again, no "judging" going on, just reporting what I actually observed. I saw and heard what I saw and heard. Whatever. I no longer live in the county, so from now on you answer all the Glen Rock questions and tell them how it's all rainbows and Leave It To Beaver, and I won't contradict you. OK?

Of course I am going to say something about the Ridgewood area if people are looking for information and it's information I have. I lived in the area for over 50 years, and my family has been there for generations. As a matter of fact--maybe that is part of my problem with Glen Rock--I can remember when it had a small-town feel, before it began to try to compete with Ridgewood. Anyway, it's all yours. Enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey